Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Best Green tomato recipes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Best Green tomato recipes?

So my most amazing girlfriend planted 40+ tomato plants in our front yard garden this year. They went in a bit late but have been growing like mad all summer. The plan was for tons of great tomato sauce to be canned.

We've been hit with two issues. Late blight has stuck, we've had the driest summer in ages but recently a the typical rains have returned to coastal BC. Second issue is not being able to wait out the harvest to see what ripens before rot sets in. We had planned a trip to eastern Canada at the end of the month into October, but had to change plans. Leaving on Friday for two weeks.

Her plan right now is to harvest everything and put it into the freezer. Give away to friends what is ripe now as she doesn't have time to process it.

She got 7lbs off one plant last night, I am guessing somewhere over 200lbs of green tomatoes. :(

So who has recipes to share?

My urban farmer.

She harvested over 60lbs of zucchini out of this one row of plants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Best Green tomato recipes?

Chopped chicken, add it up it into hot tomato soup add some garlic paste plus add some vinegar and it would make you a sound nice recipes !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go through the same thing every October as the late tomatoes hit the plants but don't ripen.

Pan roast them with some garlic until they're good and brown. Deglaze the pan with your favorite liquid then drop them in a blender with onions, cilantro, cumin, and salt. It makes an awesome, if unusual, salsa. If you have tomatillos on hand, add them in to the pan as well for extra awesomeness.

Another option is to take the green tomatoes and put them in a cardboard box, one layer deep, and close up the box. They will ripen over the course of about a week. You can try covering them with a tea towel and adding another layer of tomatoes if you like, but you'll need to lift the top layer to check on the bottom layer. Be sure the tomatoes are dry when you put them in the box or else they might get moldy before they get ripe.

Have fun with the late harvest!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slice them up throw them in a frying pan with some olive oil on a medium heat. I normally serve them with a couple of fried eggs for breakfast.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's right, unblemished perfect fruit wrapped individually in newspaper put in a cool dark place will last months.

You MUST make pickled tomatoes. This is a decent pour over recipe there are many easy ways to do this. I do it all by eye no recipe. If you want to do this on the hurry up I advocate the boiling bath method.

http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes...reen-tomatoes/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add a couple of bananas to the box and the tomatoes will ripen faster. Has to do with ethylene gas. Weird tomato season here--everyone had lots of green tomatoes left on the vines when the cold weather started coming around. My wife did her homework and saved all the precious fruit.