Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Men's Wedding Ring

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Men's Wedding Ring

Regarding fashion, skill, and ability to impress, you folks never cease to amaze me. So, I'm reaching out to seek your input.
    I'm looking for that special groom wedding ring. Something custom made by someone on this site or related to the cycling world.

Found this: Carbon/Titanium Ring – Calfee Design
    It fits the bill but yearning for other options.

Any thoughts?

FYI - Wedding is Oct 11 '19. Should still be plenty of time to find something...
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Men's Wedding Ring

@Honus still around?

He made my wife's engagement, wedding, and 5yr rings (5yr wasn't a 'ring' per se, but rather a scaled down model of her wedding ring that I put on a necklace for when wifey can't wear her ring). out of Hurdle's in Boulder.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll likely be the contrarian voice here, but I'd get a simple 3-4mm half round comfort fit ring in the gold color of your choosing. Classic, timeless, comfortable enough to disappear when you're wearing it, and reasonably priced enough that you won't freak if you lose it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ring and my wife's were made locally by a jeweler who does work to customer specifications all the time. She's also an avid cyclist and this project would be of interest to her.

Connie Ulrich Studio, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    My ring and my wife's were made locally by a jeweler who does work to customer specifications all the time. She's also an avid cyclist and this project would be of interest to her.

Connie Ulrich Studio, LLC
    bbattle - she's located in Huntsville, AL. I lived in Birmingham for 30+ years and still return couple times a year. That may be the connection I'm looking for. Thank you sir.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I'll likely be the contrarian voice here, but I'd get a simple 3-4mm half round comfort fit ring in the gold color of your choosing. Classic, timeless, comfortable enough to disappear when you're wearing it, and reasonably priced enough that you won't freak if you lose it.
    100% agree. I have my dad's gold ring on. That has all the resonance you can imagine with it, but on top of that I like gold because it's classic like Matt pointed out. Ti, Tungsten, carbon, whatever else they are making them out of these days always looked to me like trying to duck out of seeming married. Not a good look, so to speak.

Plus, can the FD cut through your ti ring if it's caught in something?
    Last edited by deano; 07-08-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wedding ring was made by One-Off Titanium. I think my wife ordered the ring directly from Mike Augspurger. At this point, the only way I can get it off is with soap, but I don't ever take it off so that's not a problem. Very light and comfortable. Plain band with slight comfort fit rounding. It has gotten shinier over the years. 22 years to be exact. Tougher than gold. And it bounces. Which fits our marriage in a way I guess. If you need gold to prove your commitment then I guess that's what you need. So far, titanium has worked for me.
    Last edited by j44ke; 07-08-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

J.Arthur Loose: Damascus Rings, Blades & Jewelry

Jul (pronounced "yul") made a neat Damascus steel ring with red gold rails and lining for me. Very cool, and 100% custom.

(not mine below, but kind of like this)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im old school. Thin, gold and plain is my way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reach out to Jen Green, maker of the best head badges in the world.
    She also makes unbelievably amazing rings/jewelry.
    Trust me on this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. Another thing to think of with a metal like titanium, if you are mountain biking (well any type of biking could do it) and injure your hand or finger, a titanium ring will be a lot harder to remove.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am with you on this one.

I did a plain (absolutely no decoration of any kind) solid comfort-fit platinum band. Over the years it went from shiny and new to some scratches to a dull color which is perfect.

I also think metal choice changes by generation (my parents now in there 70s did gold, my wife and I now in our late 40s did platinum, our much much younger relatives/friends are back to gold).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    If you need gold to prove your commitment then I guess that's what you need. So far, titanium has worked for me.
    Right o, it is the fidelity that counts.

I just like the lateral stiffness and vertical compliance of gold. It just has that magic carpet ride, oh wait wrong thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    Right o, it is the fidelity that counts.

I just like the lateral stiffness and vertical compliance of gold. It just has that magic carpet ride, oh wait wrong thread.
    Knock yourself out...

Gallery: Ernesto Colnago's golden 87th birthday bike | Cyclist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    I also think metal choice changes by generation (my parents now in there 70s did gold, my wife and I now in our late 40s did platinum, our much much younger relatives/friends are back to gold).
    I guess I'm from the generation that didn't give a fuck and we didn't bought rings. Much simpler and rings can be safety hayards in some situations/work. I would have probably chosen something made of some kind of bamboo or red mahogany if we had decided to wear rings.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I guess I'm from the generation that didn't give a fuck and we didn't bought rings. Much simpler and rings can be safety hayards in some situations/work. I would have probably chosen something made of some kind of bamboo or red mahogany if we had decided to wear rings.
    It may also be cultural and/or regional:
    - I believe many more American men wear wedding rings than European men.
    - I believe diamonds are an American thing for women's engagement rings whereas in most of Europe other precious stones are favored (more than diamonds).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like titanium, and choose it for my ring. Color-wise I prefer silver over gold, and titanium is a more interesting metal to me. It's strong, corrosion resistant, and light weight (not a burden). Good metaphors for a marriage IMO.

I got this one, sorta. Mine wasn't brushed in the center, it was more of a satin finish. It's uniformly scratched/dulled now.

I pretty much never take it off, so losing it isn't a concern. And not being custom, it wasn't expensive, I think we paid $40 for it (bought it at the same time as my wife's much more expensive wedding band). So even if I did somehow lose it, it wouldn't be a financial concern.

I did nearly break my ring finger in a MTB race once (someone else's chain ring karate chopped my hand, on my grip - it sucked), I got the ring off before my finger swelled too much. I suspect the ring is responsible for my finger NOT getting broken.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    It may also be cultural and/or regional:
    - I believe many more American men wear wedding rings than European men.
    - I believe diamonds are an American thing for women's engagement rings whereas in most of Europe other precious stones are favored (more than diamonds).
    Yeah I think you enjoy much more the folklore around the mariage than some of us here in the ol'world. Things like putting the knee down while proposing, the diamond on the engagement ring, etc. Or maybe it is just the prism of the hollywood and us TV shows.

In fact for a number of people surrounding us the mariage was only a way to simplify administrative things. Having 2 girls of 5 and 8 we married just 2 months ago because it facilitated things for our move to Spain and allowed my wife and daughters to benefit from social security directly before she find a job. We enjoyed the experience as it was also a good excuse for both our families and close friends to meet us as a kind of farewell party but we may have never married had we stayed in the same country. I like the fact we married after having kids. It allowed us to enjoy the moment with the four of us, the girls were ecstatic.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So why didn't you guys get married before Thomas?
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast