User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Well if we are going to be inside - suggested exercises and stretches

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Well if we are going to be inside - suggested exercises and stretches

At the moment in Australia you are still allowed out to exercise once a day. Let’s assume that changes. I don’t have an indoor trainer, and I don’t have the cash to get one.

I also don’t have a Peleton room. What I’ve got is an apartment that is patently too small for 5 people to spend all day with each other in.

But needs must. So what’s on offer for body weight strength and mobility/flexibility exercises. Planks seem an obvious starter, along with 5 (but definitely not 6😀) lunges etc.

I don’t have kettlebells or any of that jazz. Plus, my balance is shit. There’s a good chance I’ll fall over giving things a crack, so they’ll be strictly body weight exercises.

Goes without saying I’m not trying to win arm wrestles. I’m planning to ride my bike again.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Well if we are going to be inside - suggested exercises and stretches

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    At the moment in Australia you are still allowed out to exercise once a day.
    At the moment we're allowed to go out and exercise - there's currently no stipulation that it can only be once a day. Personally I doubt we'll go into a strict lockdown where cycling, running & walking aren't allowed, but it's obviously not impossible.

I believe other places have been limited to staying within a certain distance of their home, which could come into force - in which case there's a new (unsanctioned) Strava challenge called #everysinglestreet , where the aim is to ride on every street in your suburb. Yours could be quite challenging!

Depending on your smartphone of choice, search for '30-day' on the appropriate app store - it'll bring up a whole host of 30-day challenges you can do (similar to ones we've done on here in the past). April has 30-days. Convenient. I'm doing abs and push-ups.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Well if we are going to be inside - suggested exercises and stretches

I'd suggest working on your balance and trying some single leg squats and deadlifts. It's amazing what happens when you go from two legs down to one. Losing that stability makes even pure bodyweight movements feel like you're pushing or pulling a pile of weights.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colin, youtube is your fiend. Literally a metric ton of short to long body weight videos. My personal jam has been Ashtanga Yoga yours might be mat pilates. Both require only enough space to stand and perhaps a rug. For the unwashed I'd point you to mat pilates before Ashtanga as all the pilates moves are pretty well intuitive and there is enough variety you will in a short time no longer need to watch videos....Ashtanga not so much. Let us know how you progress. This crowd tends to work out alot ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Re: Well if we are going to be inside - suggested exercises and stretches

Depending on how many total flights in the building...perhaps "stair repeats" to help maintain fitness?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to be like Nino...someday. These workouts look like fun & challenging way to work on core strength. I already know how to juggle!

Infos Velo : Dans la salle de torture avec Nino Schurter

Last edited by one60; 04-01-2020 at 10:08 AM. Reason: grammar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    Depending on how many total flights in the building...perhaps "stair repeats" to help maintain fitness?
    Any specifics I just posted about this in the other thread. I'm running and walking stairs and am interested in upping my game I guess.

7 flights with 4 90-degree turns per flight. Not sure how many steps but a lot.

The only workouts I've done are sprinting 5 times all out or 10 times at half effort what I would call jogging.

Today I listened to a 50 minute podcast and walked up and down for the duration.

I have a bad leg so I'm not sure how many single-legged jumps I should do or double-leg jumps but I'm interested in anything to mix it up.

I'm getting looks from the neighbors who take the elevator up as well as down but they know everyone's going crazy so it doesn't matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Colin, youtube is your friend. Literally a metric ton of short to long body weight videos. My personal jam has been Ashtanga Yoga yours might be mat pilates. Both require only enough space to stand and perhaps a rug. For the unwashed I'd point you to mat pilates before Ashtanga as all the pilates moves are pretty well intuitive and there is enough variety you will in a short time no longer need to watch videos....Ashtanga not so much. Let us know how you progress. This crowd tends to work out alot ;)
    It's my friend, I get that, but it's also my enemy. If you could search just for the decent ones that would be great, but I could spend the rest of my life going through videos and spending a fair bit of time seeing videos uploaded by numpties like me. I guess I was hoping someone would point to THE diamond that they'd uncovered already. Because, you know, i'm intrinsically lazy.

Blue Jays - two stories -so not remotely enough stairs

Matt - I'm doing balance things, but my level of balance challenge is WAY lower than a normal persons. Like standing i=on one leg intervals. Closing your eyes - you can forget about that. That doesn't live here anymore.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    Matt - I'm doing balance things, but my level of balance challenge is WAY lower than a normal persons. Like standing i=on one leg intervals. Closing your eyes - you can forget about that. That doesn't live here anymore.
    You can still get a solid single leg workout even if you use one arm to stabilize yourself by touching a wall or back of a chair or something. Would that be doable?
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    You can still get a solid single leg workout even if you use one arm to stabilize yourself by touching a wall or back of a chair or something. Would that be doable?
    Yeah, as long as i'm holding something that works!
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12 Days of Christmas Bodyweight Workout - Pinkbike

I’m not doing the pyramid yet, just the exercises in order. A few of these are challenging with a rebuilt knee so I’m working up slowly. Feels good, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver