User Tag List

Thread: Buy a new DT???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Buy a new DT???

Hey everyone I'm working through frame #4 and I'm a bit rusty due to a few months between builds. I was cruising along mitering like a boss when I realized I have both double mitered the ST and the DT. Normally my ST sits on a full mitered DT. Should I scrap the tube or continue the built right now the ST sits on about 3 millimeters of DT I caught myself mid miter with a "this doesn't seem right..."

Thanks
    -Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Buy a new DT???

Hi Todd.

I don't know if you're brazing or welding (tig), but I would go one of those two ways:
    1-It's just the price of a new ST and you can go 100% right and keep the "wrong" ST for practicing miters or weldings or any other stuff. Also this tube has already made a very useful job, wich is making you learn forever how to NOT doing some things ;) (to me those are always the best way of learning, from mistakes)
    2-If the ST "compunded miter is not too deep and the tube has enough thick-butted section, you could cut the bottom enough to amend it (depends on what st you're using you migt have a chance for that). Leave the DT as it's but leave the ST to make the full BB embrace.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Todd –

I don’t really have an answer for you, but I recently had a similar situation where I was just finishing up a top tube and realized I got the miters out of phase. Once I got the miters corrected, the top tube was 2 mm too short. I thought about shortening the frame by 2 mm; I even adjusted my jig to see what it would look like. The reality is that 2 mm would probably have minimal to no impact on the bike overall. I finally decided that shortening the frame would be building to my mistakes versus building to my specifications, so I ordered a new tube, and now everything is as designed. I’m not sure if that’s the right answer, but it’s where I was comfortable.

Thanks.
    Dyon Taylor
    Lantern CycleWorks

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ToddFarr View Post
    Hey everyone I'm working through frame #4 and I'm a bit rusty due to a few months between builds. I was cruising along mitering like a boss when I realized I have both double mitered the ST and the DT. Normally my ST sits on a full mitered DT. Should I scrap the tube or continue the built right now the ST sits on about 3 millimeters of DT I caught myself mid miter with a "this doesn't seem right..."

Thanks
    -Todd
    Nothing to worry about. Even if there was NO shelf, nothing at all would change atmo. But if you're worried either 1) increase the head angle as it will send that down tube further into the shell or, 2) decrease the top tube as it will send that down tube further into the shell or 3) decrease the frame drop because the longer HT length will send that down tube further into the shell or, 4) decrease the fork span as that will increase the HT length which will send that down tube further into the shell. Or, order another down tube from me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies guys! I actually lucked out by making another mistake and starting the miter on my rough cut length instead of my finished length. So only about 5mm of this miter is showing giving me a shelf well over 10mm!

I forgot to mention it was a lugged frame!

Thanks - Todd
    Minds Create, Hands Build.
    Ride Fast, Ride FARR