User Tag List

Page 60 of 97 FirstFirst ... 505152535455565758596061626364656667686970 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1923

Thread: 2020 Political Chatter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    I hope I'm wrong but if you ask me to give odds on Trump finding a way to stay in power I would say, as of this writing, '50/50.' And I don't say that because of the merits of his case (there are none) but because of his capacity for and Republicans' / conservatives' / MAGAfokkers' openness to fascism.
    Also because dems seem to think everything will be fine based on past traditions and norms, which of course have no meaning now. It's bewildering to me that after 4 years, so many believe this is just a charade to raise money. It's an attempt to stay in power. At best this is a serious wake up call to codify our traditions and norms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Short of just refusing to physically leave the WH, simply saying that the election was a sham and I ain’t leaving.. what’s the shorthand on this clown actually staying in power?

If Michigan doesn’t certify their votes-Biden still wins electoral college? Right?

I mean if the electors go to the convention or whatever and simply do not do the will of the voters-what’s the fucking point of voting and will we ever have another election?

I mean if he refuses to hand over power-Jan 20 at noon it is taken from him?

I simply don’t understand the ‘real’ ways he stays in-
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked these fellows when and how this will be settled and they all laughed. (I really want someone to buy my Allez so I can complete my oxy-propane kit.)
    IMG_1354.JPG
    Jeff Hazeltine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would appear that Biden has won the recount in Georgia. That's a problem for the Trumpet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems Trump has given up on lawsuits and he's given up on recounts although there are some still going on. He's now taken to influence public opinion and ask legislators to appoint their own delegates and bypass the popular vote in each state. Trump's meeting with legislators in Michigan on Monday -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously-if that’s the case than how does any election ever mean anything again?
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's right. It would be a coup in any other name.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    It would appear that Biden has won the recount in Georgia. That's a problem for the Trumpet.
    Hey !
    Don't sully the name of my favorite musical instrument.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apologies!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Hail Mary for Trump is just try to confuse and delay the process long enough that somehow it ends up in Congress where he has a political advantage for number of Republican States versus Democratic. Still a long long shot, but no bridge too far as the claims just get more outlandish- not only did Trump win this election, he won in a landslide.

As you are watching the election nonsense, the scorched earth policy just went up another notch. Treasury Secretary Munchkin wants to take back the unused funds from the FED for their emergency programs. Since Congress appears to have no intention of passing a stimulus bill, the FED has been expected to pick up any slack if the economy falters again. It appears the WH wants to prevent this from happening. Of course, they claim, FED can ask congress again, but we know if we have a Biden Presidency and a GOP Senate, the GOP will be very worried about the size of national debt.

At this point, I am waiting for Giuliani to use the old ploy- I know you are cheating, because I was cheating and the only way you could beat me is cheating more. It's like the old Russian joke- What's a fair trial? When you both bribe the judge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...-powell-fraud/

I realize that there will be those who claim the deep state has planted a clone in the show- his isn't wearing a bowtie- and that Rudy's wardrobe malfunction was its doing as well- an attempt on his coif marginally more successful than that attempted on Fidel's beard.

But seriously, when Tucker cries foul, I think you can put a fork in it.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intra-Party Scuttlebutt: As moderate Dems boo the progressives, universal basic income polls better than Biden.

And, the American electorate is impossible: The group least likely to support a UBI already collects a form of it with their SSI checks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    The group least likely to support a UBI already collects a form of it with their SSI checks.
    You're suggesting that Social Security income is Universal Basic Income?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
    You're suggesting that Social Security income is Universal Basic Income?
    It's a form of it. Yes, there are some restrictions on eligibility (as there would be with UBI), and there's some variation in the amount paid (as there also would likely be with UBI).

The idea that SSI is an earned benefit (usually emphasized by people who are taking out more than they put in) isn't much more true than it would be of UBI. Both SSI and a UBI are redistributive efforts to guarantee a basic level of sustenance and alleviate deep poverty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Intra-Party Scuttlebutt: As moderate Dems boo the progressives, universal basic income polls better than Biden.

And, the American electorate is impossible: The group least likely to support a UBI already collects a form of it with their SSI checks.
    Some day the democrats will be smart enough to run a candidate that supports this sort of stuff...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    Short of just refusing to physically leave the WH, simply saying that the election was a sham and I ain’t leaving.. what’s the shorthand on this clown actually staying in power?

If Michigan doesn’t certify their votes-Biden still wins electoral college? Right?

I mean if the electors go to the convention or whatever and simply do not do the will of the voters-what’s the fucking point of voting and will we ever have another election?

I mean if he refuses to hand over power-Jan 20 at noon it is taken from him?

I simply don’t understand the ‘real’ ways he stays in-
    The Constitution gives state legislatures the power to appoint electors. The custom for the last, gee, 200 or so years, has been for legislatures to appoint these electors on the basis of state elections. If Chump convinces GOP-led swing states to appoint electors that will ignore the will of the people, Chump gets those electoral votes cast in his favor. It would set the US up for a so-called "Constitutional crisis." Chump's term ends at noon on January 20. I think that would result in Nancy Pelosi taking the oath of office, even if temporarily. I'm sure there's minutiae I'm missing but that's my current understanding. One way or the other, Chump's ongoing attempt to convince GOP-led state legislatures to ignore the will of the people - which they can do - is, in my view, an earnest effort by Chump and his enablers to hold on to power, and not a joke or effort to hold your average MAGAfokkers' attention for a post-presidency gambit or to juice R turnout for the GA special elections that are coming up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Some day the democrats will be smart enough to run a candidate that supports this sort of stuff...
    Andrew Yang basically ran on UBI. The electorate is fickle. They generally value public speaking skills over policies, inexplicably.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    The Constitution gives state legislatures the power to appoint electors. The custom for the last, gee, 200 or so years, has been for legislatures to appoint these electors on the basis of state elections. If Chump convinces GOP-led swing states to appoint electors that will ignore the will of the people, Chump gets those electoral votes cast in his favor. It would set the US up for a so-called "Constitutional crisis." Chump's term ends at noon on January 20. I think that would result in Nancy Pelosi taking the oath of office, even if temporarily. I'm sure there's minutiae I'm missing but that's my current understanding. One way or the other, Chump's ongoing attempt to convince GOP-led state legislatures to ignore the will of the people - which they can do - is, in my view, an earnest effort by Chump and his enablers to hold on to power, and not a joke or effort to hold your average MAGAfokkers' attention for a post-presidency gambit or to juice R turnout for the GA special elections that are coming up.
    Many states now have laws ensuring the electors represent the winner of the state's popular vote. At least that's what law experts are saying, but they were the ones saying Mueller would save us and Barr wouldn't be so bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    Andrew Yang basically ran on UBI. The electorate is fickle. They generally value public speaking skills over policies, inexplicably.
    I supported Andrew Yang until it became obvious he wasn’t going to win. There are precedents on UBI. It’s fickle indeed. It’s no guarantee of anything in the long term from what I can see.

Anyway, right now policy is meaningless. Getting the president-elect sworn in is the nr. 1 national priority to my eyes. Then comes codifying electoral policy to prevent what is being attempted at this very moment.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    Many states now have laws ensuring the electors represent the winner of the state's popular vote. At least that's what law experts are saying, but they were the ones saying Mueller would save us and Barr wouldn't be so bad.
    I have heard talk of legislatures having to change laws. Obviously, in states with GOP governors and both chambers controlled by the GOP, this would be doable.