Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tell me about Barcelona

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tell me about Barcelona

Summer trip. We will probably be catching one of the Pyrenees stages. Suggestions for there would be great too. We lucked out and were able to cash in FF miles to get the tickets, otherwise this would not happen.

What can't be missed? This will be my first trip there. the Mrs. has been there before, but several years ago. I want the good paella. A lot of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tell me about Barcelona

You like coffee? Cafés El Magnífico - Cafés con denominación de origen

My favorite bike shop there (PS they do tax-free shopping receipts here. I got some Etxe Ondo gear cheap): ==> Tomás Domingo <==

Though I haven't been to the crazy new one: Pave Culture Cycliste

And go see as many Gaudi houses as possible. But that's obvious. Barcelona is one of those places where it is nice to just hang out, IMO. Like New York. Don't get your crap stolen. There is a ton of petty crime in the touristy areas. It is pretty harmless but don't be stupid about keeping an eye on your stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See all the Gaudi buildings. Well worth it, though there are quite a few of them. Visit the Picasso Museum. Go to the beach. See the hospital - Sant Pau I think it is called. Barcelona is the old textile center of Spain, and there are a lot of great clothing stores - small designers or designer cooperatives with small retail outlets. Go to MACBA, the museum of modern art. Eat anywhere that looks interesting but not in places that look made for tourists. The food in Barcelona is spectacular. Go to the market - La Boqueria. Several of our best meals were purchased at the market and carried somewhere nearby to be devoured. Fresh and great. Laie Bookstore/Cafe on Pau Claris is a great place for breakfast. There are terrific furniture and design stores in the area of the Gaudi apartment buildings along Passeig de Gracia(?) A lot has changed since we were there. They were rebuilding a large market building near the Barri Gothic that was supposed to be full of all sorts of things. The TimeOut Barcelona travel guide is pretty spot on with the restaurants, sights and shops, so I'd definitely buy a copy and study up before you go.

We stayed at the Hotel Ingleterra which I thought was well located and not too horrifically expensive. Near the Rambla but not on it - sort of at the crossroads of several districts you'll want to visit. Carrer de Pelai I think. I'd suggest a room away from the street as the Vespas of Barcelona are pretty intense and constant. Beware on the Rambla of pick pockets. Not paranoid or hysterical, just alert.

Oh and if you find a restaurant that you really really want to go to and you can't get a reservation (highly recommended to have reservations at the hot places, perhaps even calling a month or two ahead of your trip) remember that Catalans eat at 9-10PM (or later really) so you can ask for an early seating. We ate at a place one evening at 7PM, which was totally uncouth but the wait staff was great and super attentive, partly because we were the only people in the restaurant but also because they were 1.) impressed we were willing to be uncouth in order to eat at their restaurant and 2.) young Catalans, a group we found to be extremely nice. Oh and it seemed like the language barrier between Spanish and Catalan meant that a lot of Catalans speak English, so getting around was no problem.

Great city. One of my all-time favorites. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

take a 1 hr train ride to girona also.
    great medieval town and home to many cyclists.
    the gaudi stuff is off the charts for sure.

definitely watch yr stuff.
    i was standing in fron of my hotel with some luggage next to me...
    the concierge runs out and makes me bring it into the lobby...
    i had no issues myself...

costa brave the place for paella... easy drive...
    mont juise (sp?) .. great view and also the stage finish fairly often in the vuelta.
    great walking city...
    if yr hotel is on the rambla..get a room up high. the rambla is noisy pretty much all night.

ditto the boqueria... ate there probably 1/2 the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

song by Freddie Mercury and the fat lady that sung

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I 2nd/3rd the recos on the covered markets (there’s a few of them). Go early in the day, get yourself some fresh fruit juice and a coffee, and stock up on meat/bread for the day. I’m an early riser and got some great photos of the vendors setting up their stalls one morning in the one on Las Ramblas. There’s also a great sandwich shop called Viena, right on Las Ramblas.

Barceloneta is the place to go for seafood.
    Parc Gaudi/Guell is a good place to hang out.

We took the tram up the hill (and walked back down) to Tibidabo which was worth it for the views, but you’re just as well off walking up. Lots of great architecture on the approach.

Apologies for not having the names of many places- we used a combination of notes from friends and just checking out the places that looked the most full of locals.

It is very crowded in the summer, and it’s a big city- be aware of this going in and you’ll be fine. My only previous Spain experience was San Sebastian in the Fall, so I was (naively) unprepared mentally.

We also combined this with a TdF trip- saw a Pyrenees stage the week Andy dropped his chain. One thing to think about is that the N/S roads from Spain into France in the mountains are well maintained but not very wide, and can take time if you get behind a bunch of trucks or larger motorhomes. We stayed in Gourette, which is exactly what you would expect of a French summer mountain resort- loud families heading every which way for hiking/biking/tennis, mediocre cafeteria food, flowing wine (literally- from a drinking fountain), and bad karaoke.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They thay thath Barthelona is an exthiting plathe to vithit.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    See the hospital - Sant Pau I think it is called.
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    definitely watch yr stuff.
    i was standing in fron of my hotel with some luggage next to me...
    the concierge runs out and makes me bring it into the lobby...
    i had no issues myself...
    I have a funny story involving a drunken late night train ride into Barcelona and several heavy bags (two bikes). "I've been here before and I grew up in NYC. Nothing to worry about!" Good thing the bag that the diminutive thief was trying to make off with may have weighed as much as he did. Still: great town, it was my fault, and nothing really happened.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great city; my favorite that I've visited in Eurolandia. You must check out the cafe below; have a cafe con leche. You control the amount of espresso, then they top with steamed milk.

The best way to chase away hangovers because you will have them.

CAFE DE L'OPERA BARCELONA La Rambla, 74 BARCELONA Tel: (+34)933 177 585
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's a restaurant on east putnam ave. in greenwich that serves great food and offers a decent bar scene with attractive scenery, but that's not important right now....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A nice walk in Barcelona starts at the Miro museum on top of the mountain, and walk down a series of steps through trees and gardens. About halfway down there's a cafe which is nice to stop at. At the bottom, you'll be close to the re-built Mies Van Der Rohe pavilion, re-built from an early 20th century world fair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got back from a 10 day trip there in mid October. It was mainly for the food, so if you have any restaurant questions let me know. We rented an apartment there instead of a hotel, and had a great time with that. Wimdu.com is the site we used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other catalunya thread just reminded me:

Jamonisimo

Sit down with some of the extramadura and a glass of wine. Bliss. (Not my blog: Spanish Gluttony 2009: Jamonisimo, Barcelona )