Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bands you loved; then hated

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bands you loved; then hated

I just got the new(ish) My Morning Jacket album. Just like their last album its shit.

I can't think of a single band I used to love as much as MMJ 6 or 7 years ago, that I can't stand now. Those first albums were written by hungry wolves...these last two sound like the crap one hears on French radio.

I keep buying their albums because Z, At Dawn, It Still Moves were so damn good. And live they were flippin' incredible...but these last two album really suck. And this last one was tricksy as the first two songs sound like the old MMJ, but the [poop noise] for the next 40 minutes.

I was honestly expecting a Beatles like discography from them. I really was.

Old MMJ

New MMJ

WTF...I mean seriously, just because you can't doesn't mean you should.

...who you got?
    we are about to break the surly bonds of gravity and punch the face of God!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bands you loved; then hated

I saw Jim James (Yim Yames is what they called him there - not sure why) at Newport Folk Festival twice - liked him once. After a while the same tone and over-echoed sound lost me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oasis. I probably liked them way past their prime. But in 2004 (I think it was then) I saw them in concert in LA and Liam sounded like shit and was dressed like some movie star on stage. I haven't purposely played an album since that night. I even bought a bootleg t-shirt just so I could throw it away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smashing Pumpkins; everything for the last 10 years or so has been crap. Billy Corgan needs to learn when to stop.

Foo Fighters. After "There Is Nothing Left To Lose" it all sounds the same.

I agree that MMJ has gone downhill.
    Last edited by alexstar; 10-31-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a huge U2 fan and have been since I bought Boy in vinyl when it came out. But they haven't produced anything really relevant in at least a decade and really more than that. Their last significant good work was IMHO Achtung Baby.

That said, I went to their show in MSP this summer and they can still rock. Really great concert. But like a lot of aging rock stars, their best stuff is their older stuff. Hate to say it.

That said, I don't hate them as the title of the thread would make my response imply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I'm a huge U2 fan and have been since I bought Boy in vinyl when it came out. But they haven't produced anything really relevant in at least a decade and really more than that. Their last significant good work was IMHO Achtung Baby.

That said, I went to their show in MSP this summer and they can still rock. Really great concert. But like a lot of aging rock stars, their best stuff is their older stuff. Hate to say it.

That said, I don't hate them as the title of the thread would make my response imply.

Agree ... old U2 was way better

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought this thread was gonna be "Bands you loved; then hated; then loved again." That coulda been interesting.
    Or even "Bands you loved; then hated; then loved again; then hated again." I could actually play that game! eg., Yes. Loved them from 70-77. Didn't know what to think 78-83. Hated them from 85-95. Loved their 96 studio recordings, and their live performances from SLO (96) through Songs From Tsongas (04). Hated everything I've heard since.

But "Bands you loved; then hated" ...?

..um, nope, sorry, I got nuttin'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used to like and listen to The Who and Led Zeppelin a lot in HS ... now I can't stand them and switch the station whenever they come on the radio. I liken it to a tequila binge ... great while in the moment, but too much turns you off forever onwards.
    Goosebumps never lie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised no one has said Phish yet. Though, I guess I'm saying it, so...

But really, I never liked them that much even way back when. I think it was more about the hippie girls and the herb.

Still, hearing them today makes me want to spoon out my eyeballs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spinal Tap- Shark Sandwich. Two words: Shit Sandwich.

To be honest, I began compiling a list. I can't do it. Tastes change; to both the listener and the artist. Not fair to say a band now sucks. There's a good chance that a lot of people think that that band just got good. Music is a unique experience for each listener. How many great songs can you just not listen to anymore? How many bad ones make you nostalgic?

Imagine writing a song, and through whatever process- right place right time, marketing, dumb friggin' luck- it becomes a huge hit. Now imagine being expected to play that song every night for the rest of your career. No thanks.

Not that it's likely to ever happen, but my band has a general MO- If we win a Grammy, then we fucked up.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nirvana I loved them when I first heard them, then radio and MTV wore them out for me. I still can't hear them without rolling my eyes.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Primus. I wore out my Suck on This, Frizzle Fry and Seas of Cheese tapes in high school. Pork Soda got a little darker and more drawn out and by the time the Brown Album came out, I was done. What a pile of shit that was.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've probably never heard of them...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weezer
    Metallica
    Our Lady Peace

It seems that the moral of the story is "Quit while you're ahead."
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Incubus. Wore out their first few CD's (if that's possible) right up to Crow. I've bought tickets for their concert this Feb in Australia. Hoping they play more of the older stuff. Don't hate them yet but am diappointed with their latest offerings.

Haven't hear of MMJ here in Australia. That top song rocks though. That second one blows.
    Last edited by devlin; 10-31-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Went and listened to the second one. Don't if you haven't yet.

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Doors. I cannot stand to hear any of it now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    The Doors. I cannot stand to hear any of it now.
    Mmm. I was never a big fan to begin with, but the myopic playlists of early-80s "Classic Rock Radio" completely destroyed any chance of me ever being able to appreciate The Doors on their own terms. They just got so completely played to death that I wince involuntarily any time I hear one of their tunes.

Which is a shame, because I can objectively see how they were not just an important link in the evolution of rock music, but also a unique band with few if any peers in terms of the direction they took.

The one time I really "got" The Doors was about 20+ years ago when I was frantically trying to drive from Brooklyn NY to Fort Lauderdale FL in less than 24 hours so I could meet my girlfriend who was coming off her cruise ship gig for all of about 4 hours shore leave and we wanted to...well, anyway, so I'm driving non-stop on too little sleep jacked up on Jolt Cola and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, red lining the pathetically under-powered engine of my Ford Tempo, passing through Nowheresville, GA at 4:00AM with whatever radio station I can get any reception on cranked to try to keep me awake, I'm tired, wired, horny, and crazy...and suddenl;y Jim Morrison's voice comes booming out of the ether

KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD AND YOUR HANDS UPON THE WHEE-EL!

I nearly crapped my pants. It was a revelation. Suddenly The Doors made sense.

Unfortunately, that was probably the last time...
    Last edited by Bob Ross; 11-01-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U2, as others have said.

Early on as new band making a go of it, their message and driving sound really told a story.

Became very hard to separate the message of struggle and rebellion after they became among the biggest earning groups of all time.

And Bono's involvement in global 3rd world finance....please. It's too easy to ask others to write off the loans. I'd love to see every cent of their tied up in a loan to some banana republic or 3rd world nation, and then an outsider press them to, in the words of Seinfeld's Kramer, "Just write it off!"

Besides that, after Joshua Tree many of their songs started sounding the same. Bland rehashed wall of reverb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have your whole life to write your first album. And then you have a year to ty and write an album that tops it.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's why you should never write your first album. Or any of the ones after it. What you have to do is figure out how to play three chords in any number of combinations that you can still manage with a quart of bourbon in you and that still make perfect sense to an audience full of bourbon, weed and any number of white powders that make their eyes point in two different directions. That, a killer bass player and a drummer that lives on bourbon, uncooked meat and a lot of that white powder should just about ensure success.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast