User Tag List

Thread: Boots: Motorcycle + Hiking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Boots: Motorcycle + Hiking

I'm gradually expanding my moto-exploration radius and I'm now planing my first over-niter, which will likely be: a ride of about 2-3 hours, do some hiking, spend the night in a B&B or h/motel, do some more local exploring / hiking then ride home.

I made a list of what I'll need to take along and it's surprisingly short and compact. I think I can easily fit all I need in a smallish tail pack that I can strap to the top of the pillion seat except for one item: footwear.

My only real issue is whether I 1) Get an ADV-type boot that will work for hiking (or a hiking boot that would also work on the moto) or 2) I ride with the Sidi sport-bike boots I already have, and get some trail-runner type shoes and use those for any hiking or walking around I may do.

I'm currently leaning toward (2) if only because I won't be doing any serious hiking, just walking along trails that are likely to be in decent condition, and I'll have the benefit of using them for any non-hiking walks. The drawback is that I have to carry more on the bike. (I'm trying to avoid also using a tank bag if I can.)

Your thoughts?
    TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Boots: Motorcycle + Hiking

Depending on how minimalist you can go with hiking shoes, they might not take up much room at all. I'd be going option 2 regardless.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love motorbikes and I love backpacking. Gotta be option 2. No boot that is even tolerable for hiking has anything you'd consider adequate protection for riding. I know some people have walked around in Gaerne Balance Oiled, but those would be marginal to bike in and have pretty poor protection against lateral injuries regardless. Option 2 my friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have the beemer anymore but when I did I brought along a separate pair of shoes (FiveTens) for hiking. There's no way I'd want to hike in my Sidi MC boots and, because I love myself and my family, I never rode in "skimpy" footwear, not even locally to run errands. Option 2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys, it sounds like we're all on the same wavelength for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I brought along a separate pair of shoes (FiveTens) for hiking
    This sort of approach shoe is exactly what I had in mind.

My Danner Mtn Lights would be both way overkill for the trails I'm thinking of doing and a bit big to haul on the moto, although I think if I really needed them I could find room - most of the stuff I need could probably fit inside the boots (unless it's cold and I need more than just shorts and a t-shirt when I'm off the bike).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One small aside: I really love my five tennies, and they are awesome for everything except when they get even the slightest bit wet. Then they turn into ice skates. Trail runners would be the better choice unless you're sure it's going to be dry most of the time or you will be doing some scrambling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I quit riding motos HOWEVER I did spend a month traipsing around Paris in a set of EVO Lite from VIVIOBAREFOOT: Search | VIVOBAREFOOT US I used these for walking, running, trails. They were my only shoes. The soles are punctureproof and with a little care you can hike. Just don't bound from rock to rock ;) Bonus, they are very minimal. Fold up like a cracker!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just ordered some of these off Amazon: Inov 8 Roclite 280. Not full-minimalist, but most of the way there and should be pretty easy to pack away on the moto.

Inov-8 - Men's Footwear, ROCLITE 28

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good call. For what it's worth, I've been fully converted to lightweight hikers over boots.