Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1194

Thread: Finally Bought Some Land

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Finally Bought Some Land

Thanks guys. Just glad you are still following along.

We’ve got some drawers that don’t work. I think I figured that out today. Furniture delivery guys were great but installed arms on a chair backwards. I fixed them. Not complicated. Aforementioned shower glass is getting the attention of the owner of the business. Marmoleum is going down as I write this. Carpenters finished outside.

I am trying so hard to keep distance. I’ve got the AC blasting and wearing my mask. Terrified that some particle is going to get me. But if I’m not here applying pressure, nothing will get done. Ridiculous. The marmoleum guys say they get tested every week. Most of the Connecticut guys are pretty clued in on masks and distance. Delivery guys are all masked and said they get temperature checks everyday and virus tests weekly. But a few owners I keep 10 feet away from and don’t let in the house if I can avoid it. Tomorrow we have a danger crew coming though to do a small amount of Sheetrock work upstairs and we are probably going to leave for the day and trust they don’t destroy the place.

Rick, I am looking forward to your thread!

Mabouya, we actually have a good friend who writes for the NYTimes style and design section, so you never know...

Now I am going to take the couch that just got delivered for a test drive around the living room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like Marmoleum, both the concept and the reality. I have installed it in three houses over the years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Plus I am enjoying birdwatching from bed at 6AM.
    Now, that sounds amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jacobs View Post
    I really like Marmoleum, both the concept and the reality. I have installed it in three houses over the years.
    Here they end butt the sheets. In Europe - at least in Czech Republic - they weld the seam somehow - some kind of hot iron? Much cleaner look. A bit disappointing but we have it mostly for the underfoot feel and because it works with radiant floor heating. It is in the upstairs room. Downstairs is all concrete.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re: the well

did you use a dowser?

just curious

did they frac it?

What was the flow rate?

how deep overall, and how deep to water?

what did the test tell you?

Get a nice tent and sleep outside. I am doing that. The birds wake me up around 4:30, but I don't mind. The dogs love it.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great. Seems like the perfect social distancing place !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    re: the well

did you use a dowser?

just curious

did they frac it?

What was the flow rate?

how deep overall, and how deep to water?

what did the test tell you?

Get a nice tent and sleep outside. I am doing that. The birds wake me up around 4:30, but I don't mind. The dogs love it.
    No dowser. They drilled to 800 and fracked it. Then sucked out the rock to create a pool. Set the pump at 600 feet. Water rises to 21 feet from top, for a total of about 850 gallons available water in the well. Flow rate is on the slow side - 3 to 5 gallons per minute, depending on the season.

Our gardeners drained the well a couple times during the hard weeks of the drought. The last time the pump shut off so the well company had to come out and restart. After that we did some math and figured out they had to space watering out with 2 hours in between and only water 45 minutes at a time. No problems since.

I think I will sleep outside when the bears stop walking through our yard. They know we are the only house without a shotgun.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Looks great. Seems like the perfect social distancing place !

Thanks! Next project is the garage/bike shop. My wife (of all people) thinks we should get a refrigerator for the garage(?) Not quite sure what she’s planning.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last time the pump shut off so the well company had to come out and restart.
    Pumptec Family | Residential/Light Commercial | Drives & Protection | North America Water | Franklin Electric

Re: Well running out of water. I bought one of these ^^^^^^^ and installed it myself to protect against that. It senses when the pump current demand suddenly drops while running, which means that it's spinning freely and you've run out of water. (It may or may not be compatible with your pump.) You can set it to then stay off or re-start after a given amount of time that you choose.

It also protects against high or low voltage from your utility. A few years back it tripped for no apparent reason. I looked up the error code and it was due to low voltage. I checked the voltage at my outlets and they were indeed down around 112 V. I went over and checked my neighbor's voltage and it too was low. I called the utility and they sent a tech out who agreed that there was a problem. He traced it to one of their substations where something or other was on the fritz. I was pretty proud of having flagged that before the utility even knew they had a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! Next project is the garage/bike shop. My wife (of all people) thinks we should get a refrigerator for the garage(?) Not quite sure what she’s planning.
    Keep a cold one handy while wrenching ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That flow rate is certainly adequate.

We have bears around, but I don't worry about them bothering me at night. I make sure to close the front door of the house when I go out, though.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exctiting that your staying there now, are the architects going to be photography it?

Also, the answer to hpw many times can an installer scratch anything is endless really. The amount of waste on things like that in the construction industry seems insane to me. A lot of times I understand, other times I just think we need to find better ways to install things. Theres also the small amount of times that the architects make it almost impossible to install things (oops).
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here they end butt the sheets. In Europe - at least in Czech Republic - they weld the seam somehow - some kind of hot iron? Much cleaner look. A bit disappointing but we have it mostly for the underfoot feel and because it works with radiant floor heating. It is in the upstairs room. Downstairs is all concrete.
    Welding can look terrible if not done 100% proper. Still fuming about one of the welding jobs on sheet vinyl in the last project I did. At least you know what your getting with the butting.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are plans for a full photographic treatment. This house photographs as a clean modern house, but in person it is more industrial feeling due to the built in irregularities of the concrete board and concrete floors. French modernism rather than Richard Nuetra. Sort of surprised me I guess. Our architects kept referring to it as a minimalist cabin, and I think I understand now seeing the result. There is a rustic aspect to it, even though in photos it reads as a mini Guggenheim.

The first install of marmoleum was wavy and they cut it short at the walls because they thought there would be trim. No trim so it came up and they put down new stuff. The new install is very flat and goes edge to edge, but they rolled it with a heavy duty roller that darkened the seems, probably because it pressed dirt into the line of glue there. So it will need to be cleaned with a solvent. Everything feels like 2 steps >> and < one step.

Today I took the punch list and did about 8 things myself. I also followed behind the guy caulking the seam between the floor and windows and cleaned up his work with a razor blade. I won’t do electrical but cleaning and simple repair I can do better than most. Plus I hate sitting around and waiting for someone to do it when I know I am going to do it better.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mozilla tov Jorn. As a retired superintendent I applaud your clean up efforts. I have seen punch lis items that included “ pick up paper in corner” when it would have been easier to just pick it up. I have seen welded seam flooring look great (good installer) and look like hammered shit(bad installer) non welded should work great for your use and the flooring you chose is what we installed in OR’s and other high traffic areas.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Mike. I alternate between feeling like a moron and an asshole, so good to know I am somewhere in between.

Spent a nice evening staring at the furniture. My wife got some work done.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome home, Jorn.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn, everything looks incredible. The last little bit is always the hardest.

It seems so silly, but second fridge... is a game changer.

Polers and Beers bursting at the seems at all times!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lovely. When do you give up the flat in the city?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work Jorn, both to you and your better half...now I’m focusing on the espresso machine.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.