User Tag List

Thread: Science question about heating metal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Science question about heating metal

Ok, so a bit back I failed in making a fork with some stainless dropouts (pricey ones!) was told not to heat them off and use them on the next one "just in case" even though it never made it past dull red as it's a fork and failures are costly. I have a mild steel crown (the henry james ) that went on a bit crooked (just visible enough to make me crazy) that I'm assuming I shouldn't re-use for the same reason. I also know folks do repairs and keep some of the original lugs, but don't have a good idea of where the line is on that.

This stuff got me thinking... there seem to be engineers and people with materials science backgrounds floating around here every now and again... anyone want to do a brief explanation of what's happening to the steel at different heats? I'm also curious about framebuilder's feelings on the risk of re-use of steel parts.

Icebreaker:
    Metal color mild steel stainless heat treated risks
    Just shy of red
    Red
    Orange
    Yellow

Edit: this isn't a "tell me these things are OK to work with, I'll keep asking until you do" thread. I'm resigned to calling them good practice. I'm just curious about how to find the line and what's going on with those crazy steel molecules.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Science question about heating metal

Ordinary metals approximate a black body under low light conditions, see Wikipedia on Black Body Radiation for a colour chart.

As a rough guide, dull red is just above the Draper point (a little over 500C) becoming brighter red beyond about 600C, increasingly orange from about 800C and yellow is too bloody hot (1500C or so).*

The rest of your chart is too general to be useful; as an example the heat responses of the three most common "stainless" steels used in bikes (cast austenitic steel as used in lugs, 17-4 precipitation hardening as used in machined fittings and martensitic as used in tubing) are quite different from one another.

*I got very familiar with this colour range working on thermionic emitters in valves (= 'tubes' for Septics).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What type of light were you brazing in? I always braze in the dark which helps me read the metal color.

-Joel
    Joel Greenblatt

Website

Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_1737.JPGIMG_1522.jpgIMG_4854.JPGIMG_4480.JPGI pay zero attention to the metal color = I read the flux........
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    I pay zero attention to the metal color = I read the flux........
    - Garro.
    Can you elaborate? I've just done some frame mods and I had a devil of a time seeing what I was doing.

Is it just when it goes liquid?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gearheadgary View Post
    Can you elaborate? I've just done some frame mods and I had a devil of a time seeing what I was doing.
    are you using #5 shade welding glasses? I think my #3 green Ace glasses cost me $75 and are much better to see with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are you asking here

rule of thumb by the time metal is red its usually become annealed, ie you have removed its temper and treatment a quick google of annealing will explain ,the temperature at which this happens and also the type and size of the fabrication will affect how this occurs for bikes you shouldn't worry (broad sweeping statement but thats a lot more info) on bigger fabrications for example mixing castings forgings thick parts you need to be more careful this will involve preheat etc

Stainless Steel - Heat Treatment but honestly to fill out any of the boxes in your list is

what lighting do you have in your workshop is a good point lighting can distort your colour perception well its not actually that (ask a surgeon )or look at colour temperature I actually use a gold coated shade 9 tig lense so i can see colour as opposed to green

what steves saying is he doesnt depend on colour as its not as important when he sees the flux do its thing he knows its at the right temperature as above on bigger fabrications which use different techniques again they use a temperature stick like a crayon that melts when its time to do the buisness on aluminium we used to use soap it goes black

Its a big big topic metallurgy of metals and heat more than you could fit in your table

I would reccommend making everything out of inconel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting info, thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might be a side topic, but is anyone colour blind? How do you deal with reading colour temp of the metal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can kind of answer that since I'm the only male in my family with normal vision and one of my brothers is so severely affected that he has to remember to stop for the top traffic light.

He's missing one of the three sets of cones the rest of us have, in his case the red ones. He wouldn't be able to see what we call dull red and by the time we said it was bright red he'd see it as a dull greenish clolour. He knows his vision is impaired.

One of my other brothers has all three sets of cones but his green cones respond better to red than they should (and less well to green). He'd be able to see all the red heats but not be able to tell the difference between them - as far as he's concerned he has good vision, the rest of us have too many names for colours and an excessive fondness for stupid dot patterns. This is the most common kind of colour blindness.

Neither of them brazes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

15 years ago i moved to a house that required me to have an outside brazing shop. I got an event tent to protect me from rain and lessen the wind. The white walls and very bright setting really played with my perception of brazing temps. I posted on the, then available, lists for advice and the response was the same as what Steve G said, watch the flux.

So I went back to my basics. When i started out my mentor said the same. Many years of brazing in poorly lit basements limited my learning to but one setting. I refocused my attention and relearned my flux's changes as I heated the joints. For brass with classic blue/white flux this is: The flux first drips off, then starts to harden/dry out, then seems to melt down a bit, then flows out and turns clear. This is the right temp. If it goes dark it's too hot.

Do test brazings helps to calibrate your flux's look. I braze so little these days that I practice/test a few times before committing to the actual piece. Andy
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had this poster in the shop for years... Id just walk past it but, little by little I started checking it out and looking up what everything was. Then I bought the book Metallurgy for the non-metallurgist. I learned the basic understanding of whats going on... and that I have so much more to go.

I hope this helps.

http://www.tempil.com/wp-content/plu...rrous_2010.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Bikes View Post
    We had this poster in the shop for years... Id just walk past it but, little by little I started checking it out and looking up what everything was. Then I bought the book Metallurgy for the non-metallurgist. I learned the basic understanding of whats going on... and that I have so much more to go.

I hope this helps.

http://www.tempil.com/wp-content/plu...rrous_2010.pdf
    Great chart! added it to my favorites list, thanks. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mcdermid View Post

what steves saying is he doesnt depend on colour as its not as important when he sees the flux do its thing he knows its at the right temperature as
    Yep - not everything is the same thickness (BB shell, ST, stays or HT/TT/DT so one's red is another's burnt. Get the flux all liquid evenly on all surfaces.
    Check my pics for what clear flux looks like, the triple tube one is still molten....
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to change my learning technique. Watching the flux specifically should be better for me as I am Red-Green colour blind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice first post Imperial Bikes:)
    Great chart
    thanks
    andy walker