User Tag List

Page 146 of 174 FirstFirst ... 136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 3471

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by VTMike View Post
    This is FANTASTIC NYCFixie.
    Thanks a whole bunch....
    My pleasure.

I do not think this place has opened yet and will cater to very high net worth tourists but might be worth a look for fun.
    Robb Report - America’s Biggest Rolex Showroom Is Set to Open in Boston

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    It's cool they went back to 36mm for the Explorer but I personally do not like the new two-tone version.
    Ditto on both. I wish the Explorer was available in a 36mm when I purchased my Oyster Perpetual a back in 2017. I certainly could have purchased a pre-owned 114270 but I wanted a brand new watch so the blue OP it was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not think this place has opened yet and will cater to very high net worth tourists but might be worth a look for fun.
    Robb Report - America’s Biggest Rolex Showroom Is Set to Open in Boston
    Interesting line in the Robb Report piece,
    "It is rapidly moving away from its well-established network of small shop-in-shops
    opting for new stores all its own, and Rolex seems confident its customers are still ready to buy."

Sounds like Trek.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    Hot take, but I have never understood why people are so obsessed with this watch. Haven't seen it in the metal (which is no shocker given how allocated they seem to be), but based on all pics it looks...fine. In terms of Genta watches, I find the AP Royal Oak to be much more aesthetically pleasing personally.
    As a product, I really like the 5711, but as a cultural phenomenon, it's pretty gross.
    The issue is the price/availability raises the expectations of what a simple sports watch is supposed to mean.

These days, the income gap, and the seemingly endless amounts of cash chasing these things that used to be a niche.
    For things that are not sold in big numbers, demand easily outstrips supply, and then it just drives more demand.
    Ultimately, this kind of thing is at risk of ruining the market.

-g

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    Interesting line in the Robb Report piece,
    "It is rapidly moving away from its well-established network of small shop-in-shops
    opting for new stores all its own, and Rolex seems confident its customers are still ready to buy."

Sounds like Trek.

-g
    I think they are doing more stand alone shops backed by existing retailers such as the one on Madison Avenue that is owned by and next to Tourneau.
    They even have a walkway between the two "stand alone" stores.

Rolex.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they are doing more stand alone shops backed by existing retailers such as the one on Madison Avenue that is owned by and next to Tourneau.
    They even have a walkway between the two "stand alone" stores.
    I'm sure the 'future of retail' is changing, and the pandemic has sped up some of these discussions about how customers
    want to buy watches, and what is the best way for brands to manage the sale. Between the internet, global customers,
    and brands wanting more control of their image, many difficult debates ahead. Good thing they are swiss, probably the
    reason distribution hasn't transformed already.

-g

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm honest I'd rather have that than a well optioned 911

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    If I'm honest I'd rather have that than a well optioned 911
    Same!
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure the 'future of retail' is changing, and the pandemic has sped up some of these discussions about how customers
    want to buy watches, and what is the best way for brands to manage the sale. Between the internet, global customers,
    and brands wanting more control of their image, many difficult debates ahead. Good thing they are swiss, probably the
    reason distribution hasn't transformed already.

-g
    The transition to more dedicated presence has been going on for a long time. They still work with independent retailers, but as much as possible want a full Rolex branded boutique. My wife's new store has two sides with two entrances, connected by a large opening near the front. The right side is basically a full Rolex boutique with Rolex design, fixtures and furniture. The other side is a collection of connected rooms with the front two dedicated to jewelry and Tudor and the back rooms as a mini Patek boutique. The days of a Rolex case in a store with 30 other brands have been gone for a while.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    The transition to more dedicated presence has been going on for a long time. They still work with independent retailers, but as much as possible want a full Rolex branded boutique. My wife's new store has two sides with two entrances, connected by a large opening near the front. The right side is basically a full Rolex boutique with Rolex design, fixtures and furniture. The other side is a collection of connected rooms with the front two dedicated to jewelry and Tudor and the back rooms as a mini Patek boutique. The days of a Rolex case in a store with 30 other brands have been gone for a while.
    I wonder if there will come a time when the brand is going to steer customers through their home dealer, as opposed to people hopping all over the globe
    looking for the random location that happens prioritize you on their waitlist. A YouTuber i follow flew from Dubai to Dallas to buy a Starbucks Sub at an AD.
    He's bought 4 or 5 hard to get sports models in the last 2 years or so, every one from a different dealer.

WTF? that makes no sense. If the system weren't so incentivized the way it is, the dealer should have sent the watch to his regular AD in his own country.
    I'm sure there are people on 50+ so called "wait lists" with every Rolex account they can call. At some point, there is a better way to match watches with people,
    notwithstanding there is no simple way to unfuck the current system of allocation at any level.

-g

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    Hot take, but I have never understood why people are so obsessed with this watch. Haven't seen it in the metal (which is no shocker given how allocated they seem to be), but based on all pics it looks...fine. In terms of Genta watches, I find the AP Royal Oak to be much more aesthetically pleasing personally.
    I agree, it has the old cushion case shape from the 60's that I never liked when it was in style, that shape didn't stay in style long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A YouTuber i follow flew from Dubai to Dallas to buy a Starbucks Sub at an AD.

-g
    I know who you are talking about, can't fault him but it does raise some interesting questions. I recognized Texas, just wasn't quite sure where exactly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone going to be mashing F5 on Thursday trying to get one of these?

Ming.jpg

https://ming.watch/collections/17-09

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thad Pasquale View Post

Ming.jpg

I've thought about it. Given the price it's the "affordable" Ming these days. Even if it is a dressed up Selitta with a jumping hour hand.

But then again do I care enough to be up at 6 am frantically hitting F5?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thad Pasquale View Post

Interesting sales model, giving an order window that guarantees you get one (if not for almost a year, but still)

My biggest peeve with limited quantities is being in line, knowing you want it, and just can't get one,
    meanwhile flippers are using their bots, and they show up on ebay a half hour later for 5x the price.

-g

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad to see Rolex recently released what we we won't be able to buy from them, but no problem at a huge grey market markup. Cool, thanks Rolex!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he he I'm just salty bc I want to buy a new GMT :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm selling my Promaster Sky, it's just too big for my scrawny wrist, and when it sells I'm gonna pick up the new 39mm white dial "Sealander" from Christopher Ward. Simple, clean, and the right size for my scrawny wrist. I may sell my Oceanus T200 too and get down to just four watches...

This came in yesterday, a gift for my wife....maybe Mothers Day, might hang onto it 'till Christmas. Sakura / cherry blossom themed Citizen ladies watch with an open heart MOP dial. Automatic. We live in Macon, a town all about cherry trees - we have a big festival every year, folks paint the flowers on their cars and storefronts, etc. She'll dig it.

Last edited by dgaddis; 04-30-2021 at 03:24 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yo Dustin - great Mother's Day present. Definitely don't hold it. Perfect for spring and mom's day.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books