User Tag List

Thread: Camping Demographics can not be denied

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Camping Demographics can not be denied

Have you noticed, how could you not, how often the people you meet while camping share very similar interests? Their professions, schooling etc. etc. etc.

Today, I greeted a couple from Toronto and noticed they had two very nice looking steel bikes on the back of their trailer.

Can you guess where this is going? Turns out the couple are friends with the Berry's and are sporting a pair of lovely Mariposa bikes. It gets even more weird, they have traveled to ride Hincapie's Grand Fonda where I also rode the first edition.

Tomorrow we will take them for a nice mixed surface ride. Film at 11.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Camping Demographics can not be denied

Kind of. We are on our annual pilgrimage from AZ to Wyoming. Last night we stayed at the fairgrounds just south of Moab so we could board the horses. We had 50A and water, thankfully I had a 50/30 adaptor cord. We had the place to ourselves. Tonight, we are at the Terry Buffalo Ranch just south of Cheyenne. Normally, this wouldn't be on our route, but we are seeing family in Loveland, CO, tomorrow. They have nice horse stalls and full hookups. We have neighbors but no one close. We'll stay here two nights since we wouldn't leave until later tomorrow afternoon, and everyone knows, don't tow a trailer at night in Wyoming if you don't have to. You might get an elk or prongie on the hood. We'll leave early on Saturday for the five-hour drive northwest.

For the kind of, we are with horse people and you're never without help if you need it.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, if only.
    Some, sure.

Many are nuts and full of questions, some are loopy and other downright hazardous

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FBI probably has a pretty good break down on campground demographics. File a FOI request. Or ask your neighbor with the super clean white van who always seems to have a new haircut.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys :)

Yesterday three gentlemen show up at the campsite. They are long time High School buddies who wanted to get away from their families for the sole and only purpose of drinking.

Honestly, I have to respect this and hey they are funny as he!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We had interesting conversations with the staff at the Buffalo Ranch. The horse stalls were very nice, everything else was sketchy. The upside was a farrier workshop and certification that was being held on-site. Everything from matching a horseshoe to a form, to taking a straight bar of metal and making a shoe. It was interesting to watch, but it made my back hurt to think about doing it. We had the horses done right before we left AZ. We arrived at our property today and were able to immediately park and hook up all the services. I have a nice 4G signal and can hotspot my phone for internet.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is very dependent on the campground. I've run into my share of knuckleheads I have nothing in common with and don't want to be around. I've also met some great people that have become close friends.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Farriers are one of g-ds children. As a youth I watched with fascination their inate ability to humanely manage a ton of critter whom they were driving spikes into their feet!

Universal campground law #1 is as follows: No politics, No religion and Dan gets a cold IPA when I see him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
    I think it is very dependent on the campground. I've run into my share of knuckleheads I have nothing in common with and don't want to be around. I've also met some great people that have become close friends.
    I bonded over beers with a guy at Catalina State Park near Tucson. We were neighbors in the campground exchanging pleasantries and discussing the weather. A guy drove by in a half-ton pickup pulling a 30+ foot long trailer. The pickup was squatted down in the back far enough that the tires were rubbing. We grabbed some beers and chairs and just watched this guy try to back in and set up. There was an asphalt lip on the pavement, I'm assuming to direct water, that the guy had to take several runs at to get over. We killed a six pack in about 45 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That rich Bill, we think watching people back trailers is better than TV especially single axel trailers hooo boy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In college we drove my buddy’s uncle’s Chevy Astro van down to Sebastian Inlet, FL for spring break to surf. Stayed at a campground for two days where most of the folks were firmly set up for the winter. Blocks on all the wheels, Xmas lights strung etc. Friendliest folks ever. Shared meals, beers, and made friends with many a good dog.
    It was cold AF though so we set off for the Keys and warmer weather, waves be damned. It felt like the further south we went, the more tweaker ish the campsite denizens became.

Since then, I’ve always gone into campgrounds expecting the worst but hoping for the best.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    we think watching people back trailers is better than TV especially single axel trailers hooo boy.
    If you want real entertainment, take your lawn chair and a couple cold ones down to the boat ramp on Memorial Day weekend. Gold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    If you want real entertainment, take your lawn chair and a couple cold ones down to the boat ramp on Memorial Day weekend. Gold.
    #holdmybeer