Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NFS Chainlube & Race Grease: The wait is over

NixFrixShun(tm) aka "NFS"

#NFS < on Twitter & @velocipedesalon to follow

Ladies and Gents the wait is over. After years of testing other peoples chain lubes and being nonplussed or worse sorely disappointed OR WORSE having their space age goop ruin my perfectly good chains the wait is over!!!

Owing to my past employment history in the mining industry I've got deep (cough) knowledge with high tech industrial lubricants. That and the never ending quest to find something that will last one week of commutes in all weather and actually does the job has been frustrating at best.

NFS is a no holds barred chain lube that will last for extended periods of riding and does a terrific job of lubricating the chain. Because all profits will go to subsidize Framebuilders attendance at Ballers Ride I'm able to not be a cheap skate with ingredients.

If you needed a three page description of how to use chain lube please do not buy this product.

Last, the product is ready for sale as soon as I've completed the webstore elements at BallersRide

In the meantime, ask questions here and I'll do my best.

Oh you asked the price??? $15 (not incl. shipping) for what should be a one season supply that should last 12 months even for the big Baller hizzself ;)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Too Tall; 12-28-2012 at 10:20 AM.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default re: NFS Chainlube & Race Grease: The wait is over

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Needs a combo deal with a T-Shirt...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh,

Will use of this lube help me beat Noah, Darren and Todd up those dirt climbs next year?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
    Josh,

Will use of this lube help me beat Noah, Darren and Todd up those dirt climbs next year?
    Yes, thank you for saying that. The lube is proven to increase your wattage significantly. Unfortunately, Canadians or riders with less than 8% body fat may not purchase NFS at this time. These riders may apply for our soon to be announced product affectionately known as "Le Box of rocks".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    +1. I'll use an old t-shirt to wipe my chain after using NFS lube and will use the Ballers t-shirt to fill the wardrobe gap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does it compare to Rock 'n Roll which I have been using since our first crosss country ride together.......
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
    How does it compare to Rock 'n Roll which I have been using since our first crosss country ride together.......
    Kicks it's skinny butt. Clear?

All kidding aside, this is a chain lube you can count on meaning it will not run off the chain in a week or after a couple rain showers.
    My favorite "other chain lube" is R&R because it does last for 4 days of commutes and makes my chain look nice and this is where the love ends.

Without standing on too high a soapbox, mfgs. have to sell their product and it must do things like "make the chain look nice" and allow people to do things like over apply it without severe consequences. You can drench your chain with R&R as well as most other chain lubes and nothing bad will happen. The downside of this is that the lubes are not very robust.

When I say that you must use common sense, that means that if you drown the chain than you will have a mess.

The BEST way to apply this lube is sparingly eg about 10 drops on a chain is enough. No drying time and you can apply it at any temp.

BEST thing you can do for your chain is to wipe the sideplates after rides with a 100% cotton cloth.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 11-07-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post

The BEST way to apply this lube is sparingly eg about 10 drops on a chain is enough. No drying time and you can apply it at any temp.

How would you apply the 10 drops so they would be sure to get into each roller?

I am accustomed to oiling each roller individually, then wiping off the outside of the chain.

I'd like a better chainlube for sure- as you say commuting is tough on chains

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobqzz View Post
    How would you apply the 10 drops so they would be sure to get into each roller?

I am accustomed to oiling each roller individually, then wiping off the outside of the chain.

I'd like a better chainlube for sure- as you say commuting is tough on chains
    Reality is that once you start peddling the lube will adhere to the chainring and cog than redistribute to the dry(er) links.
    Good call Bob, it will be best practice to run it in some before riding. You are on the team man!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in!
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darren and Justin haven't chimed in yet, so I'll speak up. I swiped some of this sticky-icky-icky and it is legit. My Shrams stay quiet. NFS love you looooong time.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I lived in rural PA next to a gas drilling rig, would this stuff turn up in my water supply?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    We're working on it.
    NFS_tshirt.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, this is critical. Will/can you ship this KY concoction to Italy (US military address...same as mailing to the US via USPS)? We're all kinds of baller here, and we need this stuff. Indeed, we're all ballerissimo here and shit. Find a way to send it, then we'll buy it and ride the shit up Etna. That'll be volcanic ballerissimo.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sneedle3 View Post
    OK, this is critical. Will/can you ship this KY concoction to Italy (US military address...same as mailing to the US via USPS)? We're all kinds of baller here, and we need this stuff. Indeed, we're all ballerissimo here and shit. Find a way to send it, then we'll buy it and ride the shit up Etna. That'll be volcanic ballerissimo.

Scott
    If you have an APO address, it shouldn't be an issue through USPS so long as there are no restrictions on shipping petroleum-based products overseas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh has been so kind as to pass along a bottle of his NFS Chain Lube to a few of us so that we might serve as beta testers. I've been exclusively using NFS lube on about six bikes in this house (road, two 'cross, two commuters, and a fixed gear) for about a month or so now. A word of note - Josh's level of knowledge in the world of industrial lubrication is, well, uncanny.

Full Disclosure: Yes, Josh is a close friend. I'm taking the time to write this of my own volition - he hasn't asked me to write any sort of review. If I thought this stuff sucked, then I'd sit by quietly and say, "well, hope it works out." Well, it doesn't, so I won't.

First off, this stuff is way thicker than the lubes that I am accustomed to using, and that fact at first had me quite a bit concerned. Will it gum up my chain, cogs, chainrings, jockey wheels, etc.? Attract dirt? I've been a ProLink or homebrew (3 parts mineral spirits, one part 2-cycle engine oil as per maunahaole) user for several years.

ProLink has served me reasonably well, but it is THIN, requires constant reapplication, takes the application of a considerable volume to work well, and in wet conditions it washes off easily and just plain sucks. Also, when I've been forced to put a bike on top of the über-kombi, the wind drag at highway speed strips it right off the drivetrain. This is why I buy it in 32oz. bottles and refill the little 4oz. bottle.

On the occasion of my first application, I sparingly applied a few drops, worked the chain through the gears, and gave the side plates a wipe. I was pretty blown away by just how clean the chain was after this process. In my usual experience, by the time a chain has a thousand miles or so of use it usually has that dull gray color. After applying NFS, for the first time in a long time the chain on my road bike was bright metal. I don't know if this stuff has some sort of cleansing agent or property, and Josh refuses to tell my what it's comprised of, but I'm telling you it cleaned my chain.

A price of $15 a bottle might seem steep at first, but it's really not when you consider just how little of it you need and how long it lasts. With NFS I'm applying lube every fifth ride or even less often, and I'm not getting the gummy buildup I'd experienced with other lubes. I was applying other lubes every other ride, sometimes every ride conditions depending. I imagine I'd probably go through at least four or five bottles of the old stuff for every one bottle I'll use of NFS. It really is a bargain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I gonna clear out my entire building (think: Dumonde Tech) if I use this stuff indoors?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How's it work for a MTB? And do you need a guy to do some testing and reviewing on a very well known MTB website? 'Cause I know a guy...and with the Snake coming up, this stuff sounds interesting for sure.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does it compare to Chain-L? I thought that was the salon favorite.

Page 1 of 68 1234567891011 ... LastLast