User Tag List

Page 154 of 174 FirstFirst ... 144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,080 of 3471

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

From above link, no idea this market existed.

Considered among the most complicated mechanical watches ever produced, the Patek Philippe Henry Graves Supercomplication became the world's most expensive timepiece when it sold for 23.2 million Swiss francs ($24 million) in 2014. That record was comprehensively smashed five years later by an unworn Patek Philippe Grandmaster Chime 6300A-010, created especially for a charity auction in Geneva, that fetched 31 million Swiss francs ($31.2 million)
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High end watches are crazy. This Patek, special only because of the words printed on the dial and low number produced and how they're sold, but mechanically identical to all the other similar models, sold for $6.5 million.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/13/-pat...5-million.html

EDIT to add - my CW has developed the 'rotor spin' issue (semi) common to these ETA/Sellita movements, so it's heading back to the UK for repairs. Pretty disappointing considering how bulletproof and reliable the much more inexpensive Seiko movements have been for me. But hopefully after this it's good to go, it's a great watch. Wore it yesterday.

Last edited by dgaddis; 02-07-2022 at 09:55 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Folks. Hopefully the experts here can help. Anyone know of where I can get a rare 1970s Seiko automatic watch serviced and overhauled? This was my fathers watch so really only sentimental value, but I would like it done properly.

I tried RGB and they don't do Japanese movements. I also tried Seiko USA and they were non-committal given a lack of parts. I did explain to them that I have a spare watch for parts, but it all seemed too difficult.

If helpful, I'm based in Washington DC.

Would really appreciate expert guidance here as I really haven't got a clue where to start. Many Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    High end watches are crazy. This Patek, special only because of the words printed on the dial and low number produced and how they're sold, but mechanically identical to all the other similar models, sold for $6.5 million.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/13/-pat...5-million.html
    While the last couple Nautilus models are fetching a pretty enormous sum over MSRP, that particular watch was part of a charity auction so it's not exactly the same as the typical Nautilus premium.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nelo784 View Post
    Hey Folks. Hopefully the experts here can help. Anyone know of where I can get a rare 1970s Seiko automatic watch serviced and overhauled? This was my fathers watch so really only sentimental value, but I would like it done properly.

I tried RGB and they don't do Japanese movements. I also tried Seiko USA and they were non-committal given a lack of parts. I did explain to them that I have a spare watch for parts, but it all seemed too difficult.

If helpful, I'm based in Washington DC.

Would really appreciate expert guidance here as I really haven't got a clue where to start. Many Thanks in advance.
    Try Zaf Basha - local to you, does outstanding work:

https://www.classicwatch.com/vintage-watch-repair/
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Lou,

I'm dropping the watch off this Friday for an overhaul. Super helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A long while ago, I got obsessed with finding an old gold Bulova like my grandfather had. It was quite a wormhole, but because I am a cheap bastard I didn't spend much money per watch. I was cleaning up my office in the city and found these buried in a drawer. These are the best of the rest. The rest were mostly Russian watches - old Piljot copies of one of the wafer-thin Patek Phillipes - and I gave those to a friend who had a friend who may have been a spy but was now a watch maker. I think he got one good working watch out of the bunch, which is the Russian way (How many Ladas does it take to drive to work?) Anyway, these are Bulovas and Crotons. All automatics. Cases are 32-35mm at most. They worked for a few years then slowly stopped keeping time. I've been told by a watchmaker they are all worth repairing. Wouldn't be too expensive. But I'd likely crush them doing something stupid outside. They are nice to look at though.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    A long while ago, I got obsessed with finding an old gold Bulova like my grandfather had. It was quite a wormhole, but because I am a cheap bastard I didn't spend much money per watch. I was cleaning up my office in the city and found these buried in a drawer. These are the best of the rest. The rest were mostly Russian watches - old Piljot copies of one of the wafer-thin Patek Phillipes - and I gave those to a friend who had a friend who may have been a spy but was now a watch maker. I think he got one good working watch out of the bunch, which is the Russian way (How many Ladas does it take to drive to work?) Anyway, these are Bulovas and Crotons. All automatics. Cases are 32-35mm at most. They worked for a few years then slowly stopped keeping time. I've been told by a watchmaker they are all worth repairing. Wouldn't be too expensive. But I'd likely crush them doing something stupid outside. They are nice to look at though.

Those are really cool, I especially like the two Bulovas.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The two gold case watches - the Croton on the left and the Bulova 23 jewels - got the most attention from the watchmakers at Grand Central. They told me the stainless Croton was a waterproof model, perhaps from the 1930's, though probably not waterproof in its current state. The Bulova on the right is automatic and 21 jewels I think(?) The two stainless watches may have radioactive paint on the numerals and hands. All of them could be cleaned and repaired to working state.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been wearing the 'tortoise' this week. It's great, love the size (42.3mm wide, 44.9mm lug to lug, 11.8mm thick), and like the rose gold (color...it's not actually gold of course) a lot, it's pretty subtle. It's a like a Black Bay 58 hooked up with a Seiko turtle.

Keeps good time too, set it Monday morning and two days later it's only about 2 seconds fast. I do still want to change out the bezel insert, I'd rather having a timing bezel than a compass bezel.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The two gold case watches - the Croton on the left and the Bulova 23 jewels - got the most attention from the watchmakers at Grand Central. They told me the stainless Croton was a waterproof model, perhaps from the 1930's, though probably not waterproof in its current state. The Bulova on the right is automatic and 21 jewels I think(?) The two stainless watches may have radioactive paint on the numerals and hands. All of them could be cleaned and repaired to working state.
    The Bulova on the far right is a tritium dial -- marked by the T next to the Swiss Made on the bottom. Half life of it has long since expired, so no glow in the dark lume, but exceedingly cool nonetheless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    The Bulova on the far right is a tritium dial -- marked by the T next to the Swiss Made on the bottom. Half life of it has long since expired, so no glow in the dark lume, but exceedingly cool nonetheless.
    Cool, thanks! My father is a retired chemistry professor - a physical chemist - and he gets pretty excited about the radioactive elements. He had a Geiger counter in the house for fun and games. One day I found a very old Timex at a thrift store, and of course he immediately got out the Geiger counter and sure enough the watch was radioactive. This was far more exciting to him than the watch itself.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First watch I've added to the collection in a while. This is the Black Bay Fifty-Eight 925 (Silver case). I'm absolutely loving it and think it will make a good companion to the first run red-bezel Black Bay and the rest of the collection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    First watch I've added to the collection in a while. This is the Black Bay Fifty-Eight 925 (Silver case). I'm absolutely loving it and think it will make a good companion to the first run red-bezel Black Bay and the rest of the collection.

Sweet. A reliable source for questions regarding discoloration/ oxidation/ patina.

I finally saw a 58 Blue in person last weekend. Much more compact than I had expected. I'm now intrigued, and the idea of a silver case tickles my fancy.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooof, looks good. I thought about this one and was on the list for one, but something I have figured out is I like crown guards on my watches so I am going to try and wait for a Submariner. Still looks properly good though. I have heard some discoloration is inevitable so it will be interesting to see how it fares close to the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Sweet. A reliable source for questions regarding discoloration/ oxidation/ patina.

I finally saw a 58 Blue in person last weekend. Much more compact than I had expected. I'm now intrigued, and the idea of a silver case tickles my fancy.
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    Ooof, looks good. I thought about this one and was on the list for one, but something I have figured out is I like crown guards on my watches so I am going to try and wait for a Submariner. Still looks properly good though. I have heard some discoloration is inevitable so it will be interesting to see how it fares close to the ocean.
    I've only had it for a week or so, way too early for a patina, but I'll share as it develops. I'm very curious, and hopeful, to see what it does. I love the Black Bay Bronze when it develops a rich, dark patina. I was also really hoping for a non-date Submariner, but alas my connection at a Rolex agency isn't as good as I thought. I mean, we're married and have a kid, but that only goes so far vs. a paying customer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the Black Bay Bronze when it develops a rich, dark patina.
    https://www.crownandcaliber.com/prod...-10-iwc-14etgp

I love this description of this bronze Pilot's Chrono: "signs of dark patina beginning to form on the watch case and bezel."
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch Idiot on YouTube had some interesting videos on his patina experience with the 925. Long story short, I think it started to look fantastic in a wholly different way from how the bronze stuff patinas.

Very cool pickup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    Watch Idiot on YouTube had some interesting videos on his patina experience with the 925. Long story short, I think it started to look fantastic in a wholly different way from how the bronze stuff patinas.

Very cool pickup.
    I hadn’t seen those videos. Agreed. I think the patina looks great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, thanks! My father is a retired chemistry professor - a physical chemist - and he gets pretty excited about the radioactive elements. He had a Geiger counter in the house for fun and games. One day I found a very old Timex at a thrift store, and of course he immediately got out the Geiger counter and sure enough the watch was radioactive. This was far more exciting to him than the watch itself.