User Tag List

Page 40 of 60 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally Bought Some Land

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Finally Bought Some Land

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    Not that i doubt your story but my electrical inspector would never give me an above ceiling inspection with temp lights still up. From the looks of the job site i would expect no less from the men working on the house.

I went back to the first post because I couldn’t recall where the house was located and looked at the pics of the land, you guys have done a great job! It’s hard to believe this started in 2011.

Mike

Mike
    Thanks Mike. In a way, we've just been cheerleading. I mean, we've also been saying "No no no" periodically, but that's our job. The guys have been doing the building not us, and I've been impressed the whole way through.

I just spoke with the GC and he said he is putting his best finish carpenter on the job from here until completion, and I found myself wondering how much better he'd be than the two guys who have basically been living in the house for the last 6 months. I guess we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Ha!

I'm having flashbacks to the day my wife and I chose our interior colors. It was mentally exhausting. And yeah, it included parsing at least 5-8 shades of white...

So that OC-152 is pretty nice. But have you considered OC-122? It's pretty sweet.
    Oy. For the metal on the garage, I arrived one day to 4 different colors of white laid out on the ground. Made me a little dizzy.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just dug this out of the past. I've now gotten 3 recommendations for the Honda Foreman and this one from Joe makes 4.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may have missed this,
    but where is the bike room?
    That is a dream come true for lovers of natural light.

I hope you guys love your new digs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    And when is the last time you worked in a NYC (or Boston) commercial high-rise building and worked with union electricians and government inspectors (who take bribes)?

Just Sayin'
    Never in NYC or Boston. Lots of highrise experience and hospitals, never residential which is why I said I didn't doubt your statement. Let's not even talk about low voltage installers. They are a totally different breed.
    Just sayin'

Mike

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bironi View Post
    I may have missed this,
    but where is the bike room?
    That is a dream come true for lovers of natural light.

I hope you guys love your new digs.
    Bike room is whole right side of the garage. Has a skylight in the roof for illumination. Plus many LED tube lights. Power, gas heat, full insulated, hot and cold running water in large wash sink.

Last edited by j44ke; 11-14-2019 at 10:42 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn, that's way too far.

I like to keep my loved ones close to me. But that's coming from someone that frequently glances over at the bikes while eating cereal at the dinning room table.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    ....Let's not even talk about low voltage installers. They are a totally different breed.
    Just sayin'

Mike

Mike
    I have had good luck with CWA tradespeople for low voltage but I also used the two same companies for more than 20 years.

Back to Jorn's residential project....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m envisioning the Tour de Jorn with your home and garage as the start, middle and end of the ride...
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    I’m envisioning the Tour de Jorn with your home and garage as the start, middle and end of the ride...
    Yeah, days like today it is really hard to open the airlock and step outside. NNW wind and various forms of slurpee.

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I made a ski trail in a field one winter with snowshoes, the old kind. It was work, and soon required more work, and then even more.
    I took the cranky weather as an excuse to drive up to Berkshire Outfitters - your recommendation I believe - and get a lesson in cross-country skis. I spoke with Josh who was really nice and laid out a couple decent options. Once I've got my wife convinced, we'll go back and get set up. Then we can practice falling down on our property until we are ready for prime time.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cross country skiing is a hugely skill based activity. Lessons will go a really long way to making sure you both enjoy it...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife has already had lessons from a pro at Vail during a partner’s retreat. So she’s ahead of me. We have friends who are skiers and they’ve promised to give us guidance.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been meaning to post this for awhile, but just wanted to say that I LOVE this thread. It has been so much fun to watch this project come to life!

Please keep the pics and updates coming indefinitely so those of us who will never be able to own such a wonderful piece of property can live vicariously through you.

Also, if you missed it many years ago Kris Henry of 44 Bikes documented the build-out of his shop on Garage Journal. It was also cool to follow and is here you want to check it out:

44 Bikes Frame Shop - The Garage Journal Board

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I took the cranky weather as an excuse to drive up to Berkshire Outfitters - your recommendation I believe - and get a lesson in cross-country skis. I spoke with Josh who was really nice and laid out a couple decent options. Once I've got my wife convinced, we'll go back and get set up. Then we can practice falling down on our property until we are ready for prime time.
    Great to hear this. Josh is my super buddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CJones View Post
    Been meaning to post this for awhile, but just wanted to say that I LOVE this thread. It has been so much fun to watch this project come to life!

Please keep the pics and updates coming indefinitely so those of us who will never be able to own such a wonderful piece of property can live vicariously through you.

Also, if you missed it many years ago Kris Henry of 44 Bikes documented the build-out of his shop on Garage Journal. It was also cool to follow and is here you want to check it out:

44 Bikes Frame Shop - The Garage Journal Board
    Thanks! Glad you are enjoying it. And thanks for the link to Kris Henry's garage building narrative. His ability to do so many different things well has always impressed me.

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    Great to hear this. Josh is my super buddy.
    He knows his stuff! If I can't convince my wife, then I'll buy a set up from him and break my leg on my own.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spent the afternoon in the woods listening to the barred owls whoop it up and checking out the torrent that was our tranquil little stream until we started getting rain/snow twice a week for the last month.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's like having your own national park. Pretty amazing feeling to be in the woods and know it's your responsibility to care for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're going to have the sound of running water there? Now I'm really jealous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you know what would be awesome? creating some bonsai from wrinkly trees on your land.

I took a bonsai class a few years ago and have never looked at a tree the same way ... come think of it, i think you've mentioned living in Japan?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That stream looks perfect for an mtb trail that splits into a balance test (flat-topped log) or wet shoes.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    you know what would be awesome? creating some bonsai from wrinkly trees on your land.

I took a bonsai class a few years ago and have never looked at a tree the same way ... come think of it, i think you've mentioned living in Japan?
    Just visited! The deer are pretty good at bonsai though.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books