Thread: The Nomadic Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Nomadic Life

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Saw a 4x4 MB Sprinter the other day. Looked big enough and bad enough for anyplace I'd ever want to go. But 50K+.
    Check out these guys for the ultimate in Sprinter van conversion. Outside Van - Custom Van Experts
    The base van starts at $56,000 and the base conversion adds $32,000. The price goes way up from there, but there work is amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vandoit (vandoit.com) is another van conversion option - Ford Transits, top out at around 80-85K. Local former bike shop owner has one tricked out for camping with bikes. Pretty cool (and at a foot shorter than a Suburban not an unreasonable rig for getting around town.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Sprinters and Transits are tempting, but I'd like to leave my "home" at the campsite and drive my tow vehicle into town if needed. I live in AZ, I see a lot of nice trailers and Class A's. Every Class A has some kind of vehicle towed behind it. I've seen just about everything from a subcompact to a 4 door F150 behind a motor home. I guess if you're dropping several hundred thousand on an RV, towing a vehicle isn't a big deal.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    The Sprinters and Transits are tempting, but I'd like to leave my "home" at the campsite and drive my tow vehicle into town if needed. I live in AZ, I see a lot of nice trailers and Class A's. Every Class A has some kind of vehicle towed behind it. I've seen just about everything from a subcompact to a 4 door F150 behind a motor home. I guess if you're dropping several hundred thousand on an RV, towing a vehicle isn't a big deal.
    The Sprinters confuse me as well and I've got the same issues not to mention it is a tiny space inside.

LOL the day I can no longer hitch my trailer is the day I buy the Willy Nelson Tour Bus and a rusty VW bug hitched behind.

What if...what if there were enough people who have travel trailers and bicycle the way we do were to find each other and engage in some adventures? Would the topic have legs or just another pipe dream?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m 52 and live in SoCal where housing is costly and the ability to glamp is tough, but this is a timely thread for me as I just told my wife a few months ago I would love to get a tow vehicle and an airstream and chase steelehead on the PNW coast in the winter. I hope to learn a few things here.

I will agree with the comment that many campgrounds that I have been at in California have limits on length. Also the camp hosts at San Clemente State Park that I live a mile from have the best spots in the park. What’s interesting is there are 3 or 4 camp hosts there all year round which seems excessive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I think it only works for that period of your life when you are retired and 'healthy'...
    This is a very good point. We hope to travel extensively in retirement. I don't think we could ever commit to full time camping, but several month long stretches are in the plan. One of the key points of advice I have seen for people considering the full time nomadic lifestyle is to have an exit plan. Selling the house, and hitting the road on the front end of retirement can be a wonderful plan. At some point the travel may need to end due to health / old age issues. Acknowledging this ahead of time can help you plan for that day when your dream retirement investment (Airstream, motorhome...) is only worth a fraction of what you paid for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We will never go full time. That seems like a drag. However, keeping the house and spending inordinate amounts of time at great locales during good weather months is for me.

We are not big crowd people rather we seek quiet places with abundant bicycle, hiking and recreation. You just have to get off the internet and start meeting people and going places...it will happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw this at Croton Point Park last week.

This guy don't fuck around.

October 2018 by SlowPoke Pete, on Flickr

October 2018 by SlowPoke Pete, on Flickr

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In some cultures blue wards off evil spirits. In that case it might squish them as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is pretty rad - a motorhome that was produced by Airstream: 454 V8-Powered 1978 Argosy 28' Motorhome for sale on BaT Auctions - ending November 21 (Lot #14 ,23) | Bring a Trailer

I think it would look incredible all shined up...
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those things are really cool. There is a (shocker) whole cult which revolves around them.

That will sell fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Nomadic Life Starts Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJBCFP12 View Post
    The Nomadic Life Starts Here
    Do you think it planes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think for 800k they better have have checked the submarine option. This has to be as close as one can get to setting money on fire without actually setting it on fire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$815k Restoration in 2007
    wow!

this one is in NJ - happy to facilitate for a plane ticket home:)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think for 800k they better have have checked the submarine option. This has to be as close as one can get to setting money on fire without actually setting it on fire.
    AI Design is probably the coolest custom shop in the country. But I agree with you. I can't imagine what the number of dollars I would have to be in possession of to feel like spending 800K on...that...was OK. I mean, the list of things that would bring me more joy is incredibly long, and probably includes throwing several suitcases full of cash out of a low flying airplane.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    I can't imagine what the number of dollars I would have to be in possession of to feel like spending 800K on...that...was OK.
    The invoice posted for the 800K restoration is umm... interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The rear cabin was reconfigured to incorporate ...snip... a Eureka central vacuuming system" -- Because a clean RV makes for a happy nomad...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But of course.., let me vacuum that crumb sir🧐