User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 111 of 112 FirstFirst ... 101102103104105106107108109110111112 LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 2235

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
    My wife is a nurse and there way of encouraging vaccinations is that if any employees gets Covid, they don't get any paid time off.
    I agree with using a stick for this, but this sounds like a good way to get sick people to go to work (and spread the COVID further.)
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recall talking with the minister prior to my mother's funeral and quoting the Bible: "I set before you death and life. Choose life." I told her it seemed like a no-brainer to me. Still does.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmgorman View Post
    I agree with using a stick for this, but this sounds like a good way to get sick people to go to work (and spread the COVID further.)
    They have protocols in place they have to do before they come to work every day. I'm not entirely sure what every one is but they have to take their temperature every morning and fill out some questionnaire and sign their name. Every day. It is not foolproof but you'd have to work to get around those procedures if you were really sick. Any kind of lying under those circumstances is immediate termination so that is a huge penalty if you lied and they found out you were really sick. That really big stick makes future employment at another health facility problematic too. One would have to be a real idiot to take that risk.

Those that work for a health care provider are required to observe their policies. Those policies are not based on the politics of popular opinion or emotion but on what really reduces the chance of their employees getting sick and exposing anyone else in the system. One of them is that you get vaccinated. They don't require it but if you don't and you get sick from Covid, you pay the consequences. Sometime in their past they have required that no employee is allowed to smoke on the premises or anywhere near hospital properties. Smoking is inconsistent with staying healthy and they enforce that policy.

I'm delighted that my wife works for a place that reduces her chances of getting Covid and by extension reduces my risk as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
    ... they have to take their temperature every morning and fill out some questionnaire and sign their name.
    What happens when people are asymptomatic?

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    What happens when people are asymptomatic?

SPP
    I have no idea and my understanding comes from supper table conversation having never read the policies myself. In fact I must admit I was only casually paying attention when she described what became her new routine never thinking I'd later have to pass a pop quiz to see if I really got it. Common sense says that they were trying to come up with ways to reduce risk but of course it is impossible to eliminate all risk. I was just happy that her employer was placing the safety of her group over the freedoms of a single worker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    I hope that one comes back negative... Take care.
    I think seeing the positive confirmation, even being a rapid test that is supposedly not as accurate, kind of broke my mental game. I haven’t gotten out of bed today. Have zero appetite. Fever comes and goes. Over the weekend, I was able to bust ass and get stuff done for the team, for my mom, worked a little. Today, I managed to brush my teeth. Pretty frustrated. But maybe this is what I needed, a day of nothing.

Wifey’s test came back negative, thankfully.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    I think seeing the positive confirmation, even being a rapid test that is supposedly not as accurate, kind of broke my mental game. I haven’t gotten out of bed today. Have zero appetite. Fever comes and goes. Over the weekend, I was able to bust ass and get stuff done for the team, for my mom, worked a little. Today, I managed to brush my teeth. Pretty frustrated. But maybe this is what I needed, a day of nothing.

So you have a fever? Then it sounds like the test may have been correct. Check out this "What to do" from the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...0feel%20better.

If you have a primary care physician, take a moment to call them and report current symptoms. Get on their radar. Ask about a swab test and whether you should get one. Familiarize yourself with the emergency symptoms - basically symptoms having to do with low oxygen and/or breathing problems that might lead to low oxygen. Keep hydrated.

Good luck!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I recall talking with the minister prior to my mother's funeral and quoting the Bible: "I set before you death and life. Choose life." I told her it seemed like a no-brainer to me. Still does.
    From Moses' farewell speech. And my bar mitzvah Torah portion!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't push it. My boss has COVID-19 and has been trying to push through it and work at the same level as before. He finally cracked today and can't get out of bed. Lower your expectations and allow yourself the rest you need.

Hang in there. Have you seen the Formula One series on Netflix? It got me through my case a year ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by houston View Post
    Don't push it. My boss has COVID-19 and has been trying to push through it and work at the same level as before. He finally cracked today and can't get out of bed. Lower your expectations and allow yourself the rest you need.

Hang in there. Have you seen the Formula One series on Netflix? It got me through my case a year ago.
    I pretty haven’t gotten out of bed since Wednesday. Blah.

My boss was taken to the hospital. He now has pneumonia, and is on oxygen and antibiotics. Scares me a little bit.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My boss was taken to the hospital. He now has pneumonia, and is on oxygen and antibiotics. Scares me a little bit.
    Hang in there man. Keep up with liquids and get some food in you. Least indication of breathing difficulties, call the doctor. We’re all sending invisible microwaves in your direction. Totally proven. 100% effective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

February 2019 my wife had what in hindsight appeared to be Covid: every symptom. In the end she came down with pneumonia which required two courses of antibiotics to knock back. She tested negative for pneumonia. When I was not around she would work- it's a compulsion. That may have been helpful, which is the reason I am writing this. I'd leave her home in bed, shaking and feverish, and come back to find she had gone to work, moving furniture and the like. She claimed it got her through, and I am not one to argue.

good luck
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How are you doing today (Monday) Dustin?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    How are you doing today (Monday) Dustin?
    I managed to survive. Last Wednesday and Thursday were not good, looking back. I don’t recall half the emails I sent, or texts. Or forum posts. Conversations I had with wifey are simply not there.

My experience doesn’t seem like any other that I’ve read about.

Persistent fever. All day, every day, for what ended up being 11 days. Never had breathing, taste, or smell issues. What I did have were stomach issues. I just couldn’t eat. Didn’t eat at all Wednesday through Friday. Saturday I had a half cup of soup that didn’t stay down. Didn’t have my first meal till Monday, I don’t think. I finally ate 3 meals this past Tuesday. Those “3 meals” were 2 waffles, a PB and Honey, and a PB and Jelly.

At this point, I’m still pretty tired. Just...tired. Eating is less forced. Think I’ve lost somewhere around 10lbs. I know my experience was moderate. But it sucked. I haven’t taken a sick day in over a decade, so this really threw me for a loop. I hated it. I’m very, very glad to be on the other side, and am so thankful that wifey didn’t catch it.

Truth be told, I’m also quite frustrated with the person that exposed all of us. We have these procedures in place at work to prevent this exact scenario, including a form we fill out everyday before reporting to the office. Setup by the fellow that infected us all. So I don’t know if he legitimately was not aware that he was ill, or he wasn’t being truthful in filling out these forms.
    Last edited by dashDustin; 04-23-2021 at 07:18 PM.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I managed to survive. Last Wednesday and Thursday were not good, looking back. I don’t recall half the emails I sent, or texts. Or forum posts. Conversations I had with wifey are simply not there.

Persistent fever. All day, every day, for what ended up being 11 days. Never had breathing, taste, or smell issues. What I did have were stomach issues. I just couldn’t eat. Didn’t eat at all Wednesday through Friday. Saturday I had a half cup of soup that didn’t stay down. Didn’t have my first meal till Monday, I don’t think. I finally ate 3 meals this past Tuesday. Those “3 meals” were 2 waffles, a PB and Honey, and a PB and Jelly.

At this point, I’m still pretty tired. Just...tired. Eating is less forced. Think I’ve lost somewhere around 10lbs. I know my experience was moderate. But it sucked. I haven’t taken a sick day in over a decade, so this really threw me for a loop. I hated it. I’m very, very glad to be on the other side, and am so thankful that wifey didn’t catch it.

Truth be told, I’m also quite frustrated with the person that exposed all of us. We have these procedures in place at work to prevent this exact scenario, including a form we fill out everyday before reporting to the office. Setup by the fellow that infected us all. So I don’t know if he legitimately was not aware that he was ill, or he wasn’t being truthful in filling out these forms.
    Very glad to hear that you are on the mend. Keep watch though. I know some people experienced kind of a sine wave of symptoms where the second wave was the one that included breathing difficulties. Not to scare you, just a head up. Hope you are totally done.

There was a form going around NYC that sounds like what you have. I don't know if that was a different variant or just a different set of symptoms based on the individual. But the stomach and intestinal distress was the common symptom. It was going through parents at one of the schools before everything was shut down, and our friends got it. Was not fun. Can tell yours wasn't either.

Get your rest! Load up on peanut butter. That's seems like a good antidote. Maybe some chicken soup.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We have IR cameras set up in both employee entrances. We built narrow-ish hallways to funnel people single file to a line on the floor where they swipe their badge, which gives the camera time to capture a thermal image. If they alarm the system with a high temp, they step off to the side and get further screening. Most alarms are due to holding a cup of coffee near their face. In seven months, we have detected one person who ended up positive. The company has had 120 cases in total over a 13 month period with around 700 employees. 119 cases weren't detected with our process. Honest employees who will self-report are the heroes imo.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we're starting to bring employees back. I imagine our company will have above average vaccination rates. While the majority are still working from home reported infection rates have started rising slightly. I took the opportunity to review CDC vaccination data for my county and neighboring counties We're still well south of 50% and while I think we will probably exceed 50% at some point I just don't see us getting to Israel's level of over 60% which is well shy of the 70-75% we're told is necessary for herd immunity. This time of year infection rates decline due to more outdoor activity which makes weekly comparisons tough. Hard to see how this crisis goes away anytime soon. At best we're probably just looking at reduced hospitalization rates owing to much better vaccine coverage among older population groups. -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    We have IR cameras set up in both employee entrances. We built narrow-ish hallways to funnel people single file to a line on the floor where they swipe their badge, which gives the camera time to capture a thermal image. If they alarm the system with a high temp, they step off to the side and get further screening. Most alarms are due to holding a cup of coffee near their face. In seven months, we have detected one person who ended up positive. The company has had 120 cases in total over a 13 month period with around 700 employees. 119 cases weren't detected with our process. Honest employees who will self-report are the heroes imo.
    do they get paid if they dont come to work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    do they get paid if they dont come to work?
    The can take sick time or vacation until that runs out. If they test positive for Covid, they are not pointed for missing work and keep their jobs.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asymptomatic transmission is a helluva thing with this virus. Glad to hear you're on the mend.