Likes Likes:  0

Thread: fish auction

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default fish auction

This ran on the morning news a few days ago. The cut from the tail is so the bidders can sample the fish for flavor, fattiness, texture, etc, which will help determine the price. I ahi....

Manolo: The Fish Auction at Pier 38 | KHON2 Hawaii's News Leader

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: fish auction

Good golly. Amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fish markets are pretty cool...my daughters will play at the Awase fish market here in Okinawa for hours messing with crabs, holding hands with an octopus, watching the guys clean/prep the fish...last week both of my daughters got to feel shark skin. It turned into an awesome learning opportunity and a science lesson on the way home from the market. My daughters are now almost as excited about shark week as I am.
    Insubordinate. And Churlish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea brudda, I was in the Talapia sashimi line this year. Quickag, you never never never eat shark or kill shark if you go into the ocean.. Bad bad mojo there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was that the special tilapia from the Ala Wai?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still have two freezers full of king and espanish mackerel from our little run to the gulf this year. caught it all oursefs. ate all the redfish already. some broiled, some fried, some baked, but mostly--with wasabi and sushi. pics on my fb

for the price of that tuna i could buy beach front and the boat where we went (it was a little boat).

Garro and Me, don't buy no fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Chinatown a couple years ago, I saw one of the fish mongers holding up this big fish for a lady to look at. Not sure what kind it was - not a striper though. The rain was coming down in buckets. Water everywhere. Suddenly the fish flips itself right out of the guy's arms, hits the sidewalk and rolls into the gutter. The gutter is full of water from the rain, so the fish gets upright and takes off like a speed boat, rooster tail and all. And the guy takes off after this fish to catch it before it gets to the sewer opening. People and cars and rain everywhere, and this fish scooting down the gutter with the guy right behind it. That's some fresh fish! Or was, I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that chit happens streamside too. had asians jump into the water fully clothed after a redfish i was releasing for being over-slot limit size. i'll be more mindful if that situation happens again.

hey, that's how the rest of the world does it (according to my perceptions of it through travel channel "chefs abroad" programming). people are "in touch" with the reality of flesh eating there. we're used to everything dead and sanitized for our protection. the smaller stuff is almost always still wiggling.

gotta be fresh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this vanity fair article is pretty dam interesting
    If You Knew Sushi | Culture | Vanity Fair
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    in chinatown a couple years ago, i saw one of the fish mongers holding up this big fish for a lady to look at. Not sure what kind it was - not a striper though. The rain was coming down in buckets. Water everywhere. Suddenly the fish flips itself right out of the guy's arms, hits the sidewalk and rolls into the gutter. The gutter is full of water from the rain, so the fish gets upright and takes off like a speed boat, rooster tail and all. And the guy takes off after this fish to catch it before it gets to the sewer opening. People and cars and rain everywhere, and this fish scooting down the gutter with the guy right behind it. That's some fresh fish! Or was, i suppose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    In Chinatown a couple years ago, I saw one of the fish mongers holding up this big fish for a lady to look at. Not sure what kind it was - not a striper though. The rain was coming down in buckets. Water everywhere. Suddenly the fish flips itself right out of the guy's arms, hits the sidewalk and rolls into the gutter. The gutter is full of water from the rain, so the fish gets upright and takes off like a speed boat, rooster tail and all. And the guy takes off after this fish to catch it before it gets to the sewer opening. People and cars and rain everywhere, and this fish scooting down the gutter with the guy right behind it. That's some fresh fish! Or was, I suppose.
    That is great and dredged up some memories! I was up at I Falls a few years ago ice fishing with my cousin out on Rainy lake. It was about -18 F and really windy which is pretty normal up there for January. We were tired of the little tent ice shelter, so he phoned up one of his buddies to see if we could use his house for the afternoon. Buddy says no problem, but take the Eelpout that has been lying frozen outside of the door for the better part of a week. We get in, fire up the stove, play some nintendo and do a little fishing. When it's time to leave we grab the fishcicle from the snowbank and head to town. To make a long story short this fish finally thaws out in the kitchen sink at his house after a couple of hours, fully recovers and starts flopping around the kitchen while my cousin chases it around trying to beat it on the head with a hammer. It was about a 28 inch Eelpout by the way. The end.