Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: The XC Skiing thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The XC Skiing thread

Spent the morning with an old friend skiing Jesse Diggins's old stomping grounds. 6 above at the start with a stiff west wind.

Sent all the good vibes to our hometown folks in China right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a total beginner using clunky edge-less “ski-shoes” so I did not even attempt going out on the rock hard icy surface we have now. Instead my wife and I put on spikes and went for a fast two hour hike to get the blood flowing.

How do people who are properly equipped and practiced ski on that kind of surface? The snow is about 5-6” deep. You can walk on top of it and not go through the crust. It is hard enough the deer are really hungry because they can’t dig through it. There is a dusting of snow that creates enough grip for walking, but if you come to a spot where the snow has blown away, suddenly there’s zero traction. And you really can’t see the difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's an image example of what I'm talking about. The deer have been "skiing" down some of the inclines (kind of hilarious to watch) because they don't have much grip and can't punch holes in the surface very easily.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I am a total beginner using clunky edge-less “ski-shoes” so I did not even attempt going out on the rock hard icy surface we have now. Instead my wife and I put on spikes and went for a fast two hour hike to get the blood flowing.

How do people who are properly equipped and practiced ski on that kind of surface? The snow is about 5-6” deep. You can walk on top of it and not go through the crust. It is hard enough the deer are really hungry because they can’t dig through it. There is a dusting of snow that creates enough grip for walking, but if you come to a spot where the snow has blown away, suddenly there’s zero traction. And you really can’t see the difference.
    You don't.
    That's not worth skiing on.
    Up here we have that same concrete base but with nice powder on top. Skiing conditions are top 5 ever. Come north and particularly west of you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cny rider View Post
    You don't.
    That's not worth skiing on.
    Up here we have that same concrete base but with nice powder on top. Skiing conditions are top 5 ever. Come north and particularly west of you.
    Good. I don't feel like such a chicken now. We got more snow today, but it was slush by evening. So more layers of ice by morning.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am a total beginner using clunky edge-less “ski-shoes” so I did not even attempt going out on the rock hard icy surface we have now.

How do people who are properly equipped and practiced ski on that kind of surface?
    Skis with edges still work ok. Getting the wax right is super tricky though. But the best thing to do with it is skate ski. You can skate all over the fields, wherever you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news on the American nordic racing front.

There's work underway to bring the World Cup to Minnesota and Wisconsin in February 2024.

The plan that seems to be solidifying is to do a series of sprint and mid-distance races in Minneapolis over a long weekend, and then go up to Hayward for the full American Birkebeiner marathon course the next week.

Here's to hoping we can finally make this happen!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, about all I can say is "be careful out there, guys."

And he wasn't even the last-place finisher...

"Winter Olympics: Finnish skier Remi Lindholm suffers frozen penis in men's 50km cross-country"

https://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-olympics/60466907

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got back a bit ago from a bucket-list type trip. 6 days skiing in Swiss (TJS) and French (GTJ) Jura. 140km, much of it on the route of La Transjurassienne. We did it extra posh style--paid for someone to arrange our hotels and luggage transfers. All we had to do is get up, eat cheese, ski, eat cheese, ski more, get to the next hotel and eat more cheese. Really a special trip in a very cool region.
    IMG_2874.jpg
    IMG_2934.jpg
    IMG_2909.jpg
    IMG_2928.jpg
    IMG_4725.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah there we go - I was worried we weren't going to get any photos of the cheese.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah there we go - I was worried we weren't going to get any photos of the cheese.
    Oh, but I did forget to include a picture of a really cool handmade fondue setup I saw at the Hotel du Marchairuz (highly recommended) that is of interest to this crowd. I would have inquired about it… but my wife and I decided that we do not need fondue to be a regular part of our lives, as much fun as it would be.

4CEF70AB-F513-4E18-A842-451FF522F7A7.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been going slowly, but I'm going.

Who else is getting out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    Oh, but I did forget to include a picture of a really cool handmade fondue setup I saw at the Hotel du Marchairuz (highly recommended) that is of interest to this crowd. I would have inquired about it… but my wife and I decided that we do not need fondue to be a regular part of our lives, as much fun as it would be.

4CEF70AB-F513-4E18-A842-451FF522F7A7.jpg
    A disk brake fondue burner? Who knew that cheese could be so controversial (just kidding).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I've been going slowly, but I'm going.

Who else is getting out?
    Someone around here keeps melting the snow. Mud mud mud.
    Last edited by j44ke; 12-30-2022 at 10:24 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose this is as good a place as any to ask—I have my first ever XC race this weekend and I don’t know what to do about hydration. I was planning on wearing my light ultra-running vest… but now I worry it will interfere with my number bib. Do I need to go find a belt, or is the hydration vest fine?

It’s a point to point 26k with 2k feet of vert and only one aid station. So I need to carry something I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose this is as good a place as any to ask—I have my first ever XC race this weekend and I don’t know what to do about hydration. I was planning on wearing my light ultra-running vest… but now I worry it will interfere with my number bib. Do I need to go find a belt, or is the hydration vest fine?

It’s a point to point 26k with 2k feet of vert and only one aid station. So I need to carry something I think.
    The bibs numbers aren't the pullover lycra?

I think you want to try it out first. If you have an old bib from a run or something, try is on over the vest and ski. See if you like it. Otherwise, get a belt by Fischer or another company with the angle bottle, and try that.
    https://www.glisshop.co.uk/hydration...yellow40480632

The important thing is not to guess. Nothing worse than being unhappy with equipment choice on race day.

Skate or classic? good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    The bibs numbers aren't the pullover lycra?

I think you want to try it out first. If you have an old bib from a run or something, try is on over the vest and ski. See if you like it. Otherwise, get a belt by Fischer or another company with the angle bottle, and try that.
    https://www.glisshop.co.uk/hydration...yellow40480632

The important thing is not to guess. Nothing worse than being unhappy with equipment choice on race day.

Skate or classic? good luck
    They might be pull over Lycra, or they might be the ones with strings to tie. I don’t know. I think I’ll just go with the vest and figure it out. I’m not going to be at the front… this is a tune up of sorts before something bigger so I’m not in top form, and will be doing a 5h ski the day before. I’ll be skiing classic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never carried anything in a ski marathon, and they're often 50-55k with four or five aid stations.

If it's chip timed, the visibility of your bib probably doesn't matter much. In the citizens waves at the Birkebeiner during cold starts, plenty of people start with a layer over the top of their bibs that they toss at the first aid station. I doubt it's by the book, but I've never seen anyone policing it.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. That makes sense, and again… I’m not racing for places. This time. I don’t even have a pair of real track skis!

Another question caleb—my family in Blaine says “we have ski marathons! Come visit!” Which ones are cool? Like I know the birke in WI is the big one… but how about the ones in MN? I’m strictly classic if it matters and content with iffy conditions and long distances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I grew up with cross country skiing. I grew up with downhill, but I want cross country too.