User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Want to Talk About Subtlety (Not So Subtly)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I Want to Talk About Subtlety (Not So Subtly)

Heads up, I'm going to ramble.

There's a saying about the Rolling Stones; their secret, or rather, the key to understanding them:

Mick wanted to be Keith, but everyone wanted to be Charlie.

I'm blunt. It's a tool. It can be read as being mean. That is not its intent. It is intended to be effective. Say an exact thing in as few syllables as possible, and you can cut someone to their core. I do it for two reasons; I either don't give a shit, or I do give a shit. I hope that comes across. But being blunt isn't effective if you're constantly running your mouth off. Then you're just a dick.

There are an infinite amount of details on your person right now. Collar, cuffs, lapels, stitching, buttons, zippers, fabrics, patterns, tie, shoes, laces, soles, socks, watch, etc. Factor in your haircut, your facial hair, your scent; we could go on for days here. Any detail, any single thing, has the potential to ruin your appearance. Don't even get me started on belt buckles, cuff links, pocket squares, fucking pleats, fucking epaulets... fucking "statement" laces.

It's said women dress for other women. It's also been said that Jackie O, their queen, suggests removing one accessory before leaving the house. Now, I'm a pretty hip dude, and I think they're all unique and individual; a bunch of fucking snowflakes, really. But let's say, for the sake of argument, that these statements have at least a grain of truth. Let's also assume that the person (sorry, don't know their sex) who said that women decide within a minute of meeting you whether or not they intend to sleep with you might have been on to something.

What happens when men dress for other men? We get GIANT watches, GIANT tie knots, monogrammed everything; it's a dick measuring contest. And for what? You hoping to take that guy home?

This is all very square and closed-minded (sex roles and politics and whatnot). If you're offended, I apologize. I'm trying to do some good here. I'm addressing a particular audience- straight men between 20 and 60. Basically almost every one of the 9,800+ motherfuckers registered on VSalon.

So, now that it's been established (5 paragraphs in) that I'm talking about a base-level motive for looking good, let's do an exercise. Pretend each of the details in paragraph 2 is a syllable. Look at what you're wearing. Are you yelling? Are you ranting and raving? Or are you the quiet, mysterious type? What are your clothes saying? Is this a good look? Is it effective? Are your clothes running off at the mouth?

Would the married men among us please go ask your wives if they initially were attracted to you because of how good you ran your mouth off? Don't worry, the rest of us will wait.

This has been a roundabout way of saying what I always seem to be saying. Worry about the fit, the quality of construction, how it pairs with whatever else you're wearing. Get their attention by being a silent killer. Fucking. Nail. Every. Detail. Find what works for you and keep doing that. Mens style is always about being classic. Why? Because shopping sucks. And if we have to shop, we'd rather do it for bikes and parts.

A stranger in an elevator in Louisville last weekend complimented me on my "GQ" look. I was in jeans, workboots, a button-up, and a peacoat. What he said was "GQ." But what he meant was "I don't know what the fuck you're doing, but keep doing it." His outfit, by the way, was screaming at anyone within earshot (eyesight?).

During Mick Jagger's tour behind his first solo record, Keith put a band together to keep himself occupied. Charlie played drums.

Late one night Mick and Keith found themselves in the same hotel bar. Mick rang up to Charlie's room and said "Is 'at my drummer up there? Somebody tell my drummer to come down here. I want to see him."

Charlie got up, shaved, put on a Saville Row suit, and headed downstairs, where he threw Mick through the plate glass window. The soft-spoken Watts said "Don't ever call me your fucking drummer. You're my fucking singer."
    Last edited by chasea; 02-11-2013 at 11:06 PM.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I Want to Talk About Subtlety

thanks for sticking around here chase
    i'm not a dresser, but this sentiment goes good everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Get their attention by being a silent killer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the above is something that i wish i could force 99% of the "snappy dressers" in the mission to read and understand. thanks.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets see this peacoat you're rockin, Chase. When I do an image search, I see some sharp stuff and some cheese dick stuff. Vintage? Modern? Color? I get it, you dress real good. I need some data points.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone should post a copy of Chase's comments at the entrance to NAHBS. Might take the hurt out of having to look at at least a few of the luminaries there.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the first mistake is answering to anyone else before you answer to yourself atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This should be added to the Salon's Terms of Service.

No wait, this should BE the Salon's Terms of Service.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    I think the first mistake is answering to anyone else before you answer to yourself atmo.
    That too.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why so pissed? If it weren't for sloppy dressers, the stylish wouldn't truly stand out as such.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great post chase! because of you i've spent thousands of dollars on new clothes. fucker!

xo
    d

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burgess1108 View Post
    Why so pissed? If it weren't for sloppy dressers, the stylish wouldn't truly stand out as such.
    we want those losers to hang out on other forums. the cool cats stay here. right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenCT View Post
    we want those losers to hang out on other forums. the cool cats stay here. right?
    I want to go on record that Gary Fisher is not a loser and is always welcome here.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a difference between dressing loudly and well. Many never understand that distinction (but I'm still gonna wear my colored laces occasionally).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chase wrote; "I'm blunt..." But not Brief.

"The well-dressed man is he whose clothes you never notice."

W.S. Maugham

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I'm sure I suck at dressing 50% of the time I know when I read something accurate. This is accurate.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to go on record that Gary Fisher is not a loser and is always welcome here.
    Also- Clyde Frazier.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I Want to Talk About Subtlety (Not So Subtly)

Heads up, I'm going to ramble.
    A stranger in an elevator in Louisville last weekend complimented me on my "GQ" look. I was in jeans, workboots, a button-up, and a peacoat. What he said was "GQ." But what he meant was "I don't know what the fuck you're doing, but keep doing it." His outfit, by the way, was screaming at anyone within earshot (eyesight?).
    Perhaps he felt as such and looked so because he was an Amway salesman from Minnesota?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of the battle is finding clothes that fit properly. If you're slim it's pretty difficult to not look good wearing slim cut jeans, a well fitted tee shirt, and unobtrusive shoes. If you ask me, minimal goes hand in hand with subtle. Also, in my experience, when I'm wearing fitted dress shirts at bars and have my hair done up I get hit on by gay dudes at a much, much higher frequency than when I dress normally, in which case it's just girls. Don't get me wrong I'm flattered and I have gay friends but sometimes it makes me wonder who I'm trying to impress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coolberto hipsterdor View Post
    Most of the battle is finding clothes that fit properly. If you're slim it's pretty difficult to not look good wearing slim cut jeans, a well fitted tee shirt, and unobtrusive shoes. If you ask me, minimal goes hand in hand with subtle. Also, in my experience, when I'm wearing fitted dress shirts at bars and have my hair done up I get hit on by gay dudes at a much, much higher frequency than when I dress normally, in which case it's just girls. Don't get me wrong I'm flattered and I have gay friends but sometimes it makes me wonder who I'm trying to impress.
    Ha. Its also a geographical thing. Here in Florida - if you want girls, you'd better have a Ferrari, a closet full of Affliction/Ed Hardy or various black pinstriped dress shirts with patterned inner cuffs, and True Religion jeans. I'm sure as fuck not dressing like that - then again - I'm not after girls here (thankfully I'm married and met my foreign wife in Ohio).
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    Ha. Its also a geographical thing. Here in Florida - if you want girls, you'd better have a Ferrari, a closet full of Affliction/Ed Hardy or various black pinstriped dress shirts with patterned inner cuffs, and True Religion jeans. I'm sure as fuck not dressing like that - then again - I'm not after girls here (thankfully I'm married and met my foreign wife in Ohio).
    I'm a married guy with no game. Hearing this makes me glad that it is my life's work to stay away from Florida.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast