User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Two US Senate Run-offs in Georgia: Victory for both means a 50/50 Senate - Must Win

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Two US Senate Run-offs in Georgia: Victory for both means a 50/50 Senate - Must W

Firstly, I know nothing about US law. For the Australian federal election this basically stopped once the election was officially “called”.

But, a printing company paid for the printing costs & volunteers (including me) put up thousands of posters, so it’s basically free. In the apparent spirit of US elections I’m sure you could charge a gazillion $ for it if you need to fit in.😀

Can’t provide data to say how effective it was or wasn’t but I can provide the anecdote that Tony lost what had been considered an unassailably safe seat. Massive swing against him. To be fair the existence of the posters were partly a reflection of that swing...

Anyway, Instagram #thinktwicewarringah
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Two US Senate Run-offs in Georgia: Victory for both means a 50/50 Senate - Must W

Aussie "posters" = USA "television advertisements"
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"As secretary of state since 2010, Brian Kemp had eight years to winnow the electorate to his liking before November 2018, and did so by purging 1.4 million voters from the rolls, placing thousands of registrations on hold, and overseeing the closure or relocation of nearly half of the state’s precincts and polling sites. The unstated goal — though it was clear to anyone watching similar efforts by Republicans across the South — was to reduce the voting power of unfavorable constituencies: black people, poor people, students, and others. A study from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution published on Friday shows just how successful these efforts were. Precinct closures and polling-site relocations in particular — which Kemp did not order, but allegedly encouraged and devised the guidelines for — prevented an estimated 54,000 to 85,000 voters from casting ballots last year, primarily by forcing them to travel much larger distances to vote." More here: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019...nder-kemp.html

Please push back against these sorts of egregious actions and help the two Democratic US Senate candidates win their run-offs by contributing to the New Georgia Project and Fair Fight.

https://newgeorgiaproject.org/

https://fairfight.com/

Thanks
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

be serious...if the Dems had had the Senate in Obama's last term they would have put it right thru..they didnt....and at some point in time down the line, if the rethugs have the presidency but not senate, they will do that same...this ain't star wars...the dems would have done the same exact thing to put off that nomination...but adding new court members....i.e. stacking: well, that will be crazy....that will lead to so much else as every regime change goes along....the supreme court may be political via elections....sure...but that will open up the entire thing to being a farce over time....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The voting rights group founded by Stacey Abrams is pumping $2.7 million to boost the work of a network of grassroots organizations ahead of the Jan. 5 runoffs – not to finance more TV ads but to strengthen their get-out-the-vote apparatus.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/politic...MQVBTSKQSS2NA/

It's time to pitch in, $$, your time, whatever you can.

This is where we win and gain the ability to start repairing what Trump has damaged, or where McConnell and his GOP spoor win and keep hacking at the wing spars.

My father (foreground and right) didn't fight for the likes of Trump and McConnell to destroy our country or send us into a new dark age; neither did yours; the least that those of us who haven't been in armed conflict can do is volunteer and/or contribute dollars; for the record, my father was what "tough guy" Trump supporters call a snowflake libtard:

14648576885_131b3d2dc0_o.jpg

14625597046_a25d414bf8_o.jpg
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    The voting rights group founded by Stacey Abrams is pumping $2.7 million to boost the work of a network of grassroots organizations ahead of the Jan. 5 runoffs – not to finance more TV ads but to strengthen their get-out-the-vote apparatus.
    That's FariFight. It is an excellent option when our distance option to assist = sending $. Let's get this done.

https://fairfight.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
    be serious...if the Dems had had the Senate in Obama's last term they would have put it right thru..they didnt....and at some point in time down the line, if the rethugs have the presidency but not senate, they will do that same...this ain't star wars...the dems would have done the same exact thing to put off that nomination...but adding new court members....i.e. stacking: well, that will be crazy....that will lead to so much else as every regime change goes along....the supreme court may be political via elections....sure...but that will open up the entire thing to being a farce over time....
    Are you suggesting that is was acceptable to delay the vetting of a Supreme Court nominee for over seven months because there was an election coming up?
    If so, are you actually Mitch McConnell?
    Because that's basically what Senator McConnell said to justify his craven delay. Although not at all what he said to force Barrett's nomination through in four weeks.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bump; a gentle reminder that victory in both of these Georgia US Senate run-offs is mandatory if there is to be ANY hope of constructive, progressive change in this country.

Please, send $ to and/or volunteer your time to both Democratic Senatorial candidates and/or the organizations that Stacy Abrams has developed. These two races must be won by the Democratic Party or Biden will run into a more formidable brick wall than Obama did.

The Republican party has been working tirelessly for decades to generate, maintain and use the local, state and national political horsepower necessary to blockade all manner of human progress in this country; and they have been masterful. There is no reason in this galaxy to think that suddenly, never mind during a period of unprecedented partisan rancour culminating in such a divisive presidential administration and race, Mitch, Lindsey and the rest of them will start cooperating with the Democratic Party and decide that maybe, just maybe, we ought to acknowledge the challenging cultural, economic and environmental issues of our time, culture and country, and work to address them. None. A snake will do what a snake does...and Mitch will do what Mitch does so very effectively.

This is make or break time. Do something meaningful to help secure victory for both of Georgia's Democratic senatorial candidates. The DP must be successful at addressing some of our issues of import or the next Republican president will be far worse than Trump. Without those two Senate seats the DP will be defeated at just about every meaningful turn.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know...to be honest...been voting dem since I was 18....they never followed up on ANYTHING....certainly not for folks of my class and background...so a total Biden thing via senate? to me, that will be a total corporate fuckfest...besides how the foreign policy will go which as all dem stuff has before...and I thought maybe something was getting done in the middle east...but what the fuck do I know right? We got Joe Biden...just great...I can forget about any single progressive thing I believed in...by the way, I live a few houses down from Sanders here in Vermont...my feeling is you criticize your own party and hold them accountable...the other side is real easy for being dicks and shooting off yer mouth....hold your own to something....my feeling is golden credit card Joe has a lot of bills to pay....but hey, ain't least the orange hitler right? way to go folks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know...to be honest...been voting dem since I was 18....they never followed up on ANYTHING....certainly not for folks of my class and background...so a total Biden thing via senate? to me, that will be a total corporate fuckfest...besides how the foreign policy will go which as all dem stuff has before...and I thought maybe something was getting done in the middle east...but what the fuck do I know right? We got Joe Biden...just great...I can forget about any single progressive thing I believed in...by the way, I live a few houses down from Sanders here in Vermont...my feeling is you criticize your own party and hold them accountable...the other side is real easy for being dicks and shooting off yer mouth....hold your own to something....my feeling is golden credit card Joe has a lot of bills to pay....but hey, ain't least the orange hitler right? way to go folks...

Not this drivel again.

Other than Sen. Collins doing her trademark brow furrowing and pearl clutching, what actual critique has any GOP politician of note offered in the past four years?

Politics is a cynical exercise in the end, especially in the form practices in the U.S. if you are willing to let the merely good enough be the enemy of the perfect, don’t complain when actual venality makes all of us worse off: you’ve abrogated any moral high ground when you decided that having your ideological needs met supersedes what would be better for the country.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what your "class and background" is, and I'm interested to know, and read some facts behind your statement.

But I'm so exhausted by the argument that the Democrats aren't perfect. We are not picking a spouse here (and while mine is nearly perfect, even she has her flaws...) we are making a choice between two options. The Democrats and the Republicans.

So yeah, work the grassroots to encourage folks whose positions are as close as possible to yours to get in the arena. Help grow the team.

Eventually, as we all know, we have a binary choice. Is it Ossoff or Perdue? Is it Warnock or Loeffler?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't it be nice if "we" simply let each state's citizens vote for their representatives without outside influence?

Wouldn't it be fantastic if one party would stop slandering the other - by blaming "them" for the problems they they themselves are guilty of?

Having ONE PARTY that rules everything is exactly what this country ISN"T about.

Perhaps the voters in Georgia should be left alone to make their decisions, and not be influenced by money and time spend by outsiders who could care less about those citizens, and only want to gain headcount in Washington.

Yes, I know how this all "works" in real life, so spare the oncoming lectures.

IMO, the founding fathers intention was to have each state represented by those who spoke for their residents, not for other's to speak for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if "we" simply let each state's citizens vote for their representatives without outside influence?

Wouldn't it be fantastic if one party would stop slandering the other - by blaming "them" for the problems they they themselves are guilty of?

Having ONE PARTY that rules everything is exactly what this country ISN"T about.

Perhaps the voters in Georgia should be left alone to make their decisions, and not be influenced by money and time spend by outsiders who could care less about those citizens, and only want to gain headcount in Washington.

IMO, the founding fathers intention was to have each state represented by those who spoke for their residents, not for other's to speak for them.
    If you don't want dark money and money from outside states flooding elections in swing states you should probably be pushing for campaign finance reform and a reversal of the horrific citizens united decision rather than castigating semi-anonymous posters on this forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Citizens United put that cozy idea to bed a long time ago.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    If you don't want dark money and money from outside states flooding elections in swing states you should probably be pushing for campaign finance reform and a reversal of the horrific citizens united decision rather than castigating semi-anonymous posters on this forum.
    Thanks for adding nothing here, except yet another response to anything I post. As expected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Citizens United put that cozy idea to bed a long time ago.
    Yes, but that ruling it doesn't mean it's "right".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uber-person in modern America is the corporation, and the purpose of the corporation is to accumulate wealth, and money is free speech.....

Allowing citizens to vote is an inconvenience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, but that ruling it doesn't mean it's "right".
    No, it’s not right. But the GOP fought for it and have embraced it wholeheartedly, via visible donors like the Koch bros. and other less visible sources.

It’s a quaint idea that local citizens vote for their representatives but today it’s naive to imagine a pivotal election like Georgia’s senate runoffs isn’t going to attract national resources.

I agree that it’s shitty. But it’s not new and now it’s protected by a horrible SCOTUS ruling. So until that’s changed here we are.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for adding nothing here, except yet another response to anything I post. As expected.
    if you don't want people to respond to your opinions you shouldn't share them on a public forum. it's not like I'm outside your house yelling this stuff into a bull horn.

and I do respond to other people's posts as well.

did someone pee in your cheerios or something?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the end this is exactly what is going to happen: Citizens of Georgia will vote for their representatives. I don't get to vote there, you don't get to vote there, and so on. Now, do you want to talk about which "citizens of Georgia" get to vote, and which "citizens of Georgia" have been systematically excluded from exercising their rights as citizens?

Anyone who has been paying attention over the years knows that certain demographic segments have been targeted for exclusion through various barriers. It used to be poll taxes and literacy tests. Now it's for not voting in a prior election or small spelling discrepancies in registrants' names. Or by simply closing polling sites.

This is the reason that I chose to donate not to either of the Democratic candidates, but to Fair Fight. They are working to combat voter suppression, and to get out the vote. So the voters in Georgia can make their decisions.

...on the other hand, it would be nice if the head of the Republican party stopped slandering Democrats as un-American and treasonous. So I agree with you there!
    GO!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast