User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Axe the Salon: Are 2 Dogs Better Than 1?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Axe the Salon: Are 2 Dogs Better Than 1?

Are Two Dogs Easier Than One?

The thinking being that they entertain each other, therefore there is a lot less mischief in the house. And feeding and walking two dogs is just as much a pain as feeding and walking one. Also they teach each other tricks. It feeds into their pack nature and makes them better pets.

Is this true, or is the GF trying to con me into getting two many dogs (get it?).

WHat does Hugo Chaves, Dog Whisperer, say?
    we are about to break the surly bonds of gravity and punch the face of God!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Axe the Salon: Are 2 Dogs Better Than 1?

awww....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    we are about to break the surly bonds of gravity and punch the face of God!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have two and they do a good job of keeping each other company. I don't know of any behavior that I could credit to there being two of them except that they do play well together, which is good.

Personally, the more the merrier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm doing the closest thing to an experiment on this very very question. My girlfriend and I live in different cities, and each of us has a dog. We (and the dogs) see each other on the weekends. Based on my observations, I'd say it's probably "better" enough to warrant doing it, although I don't know if I'd say it's significantly easier.

Nice things:
    • My GF's dog is 3y/o and well-trained. My dog is a puppy. Just by being around her dog, my dog is already semi-trained. It's amazing the things I didn't have to teach this dog because he learned them from her.
    • They definitely entertain each other. Both dogs are about a thousand percent happier when they're together.
    • Because of the above, we definitely get more time to do "us" stuff -- not that we don't like doing stuff with the dogs, but even when you go to the park, for instance, instead of having to actively entertain the dog, you can have a real-live conversation with each other while the dogs go tearing through the woods like maniacs.
    • As you mentioned, walking/feeding/picking up after two dogs is not significantly more difficult than doing the same for one.

Less-nice things:
    • If they're primarily indoor dogs, everything just smells doggier. Like, way more than twice as doggy.
    • Sometimes you just want to watch Top Gear on TV. With one dog, you can usually persuade him to shaddup and lie down. With two dogs, there's always going to be a scrapping, barking tornado rolling through your living room at the exact moment that Jeremy berates Hammond in that endearing way he does.
    • Obviously, it's more expensive, but it's probably slightly less than twice as expensive as one dog.

Dogs are awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are getting close to answering Yes to this same question. My dog and my brother's are the same size and temperament, though his is a year younger, and they are a riot together. The only adjustment I think we'd have is getting the dogs to eat their own food at the same time. We're feeding them in different rooms at e moment because the don't share very nicely.

Plus, think the ability to let them wear themselves out playing, maybe taking one less structured walk per day, is a little more natural, and fun from the pups POV.

The major logistical drawback is visiting people with them, or dropping them somewhere when you go out of town. A second dog makes a difference in terms of finding someone willing to take them for a week, or allowing you to bring them with for a weekend trip.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in the same boat. Found a few bother/sister combos for adoption. I'm having enough of a hard time convincing the wife for one ... now I'm trying to push two. Double the food and double the vet bills (for standard check-ups) - but I think that's manageable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dogs hated each other for about a year. Then they started sleeping next to each other. A few years down the road a neighbor's dog got loose (Rot) attacked the big one (American Eskimo Spitz) and the little one (Lhasa Apso) joined in to protect his bro.

Dogs dig other dogs.

But the tricks thing . . . eh.
    And the extra work . . . meh.
    And the extra bills . . . double meh.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've got two. They're littermates and both girls. One arrived a year after the other as she was a showgirl, think best in show. Upon arrival there were some significant dominance issues with the one who'd been here longer staking claim to every square inch of the yard and everything in it. This has continued, less so, but still exists, five years later. They do act like idiots together and love to chase each other around our small backyard.

We found they tend to 'pack up' on other dogs. That though might poor training or socialization on our behalf, despite two years of obedience.

Other things to consider are double the vet bills for annual checks and vaccinations. It can also take a lot of grooming if you don't have a short haired dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have two cats (sisters from the same litter) so they can keep each other company while I am at work or away. They definitely have way more energy from being active than solitary cats that I know -- solitary cats seems to just get fat and bored. They wrestle and chase each other alot; even though they are nearly 4 years old, they still act like kittens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the answer is
    yes

we are all pack animals at heart

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes.

pack animals.

so if you never learn to relate to your single dog as a member of the pack, the duo of dogs will at least have one pack member to which they can relate properly. the more you understand about the pack, the better relationship you can have with your dogs.

i've had singles, but will probably not ever again. single dogs can really have issues when left alone-or when treated like "little people".

study cesar millan--he really _gets it_. too many pet owners know too little of pet psychology. exercise, discipline, affection...in that order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a pair of boxers (male and a female....littermates). Lost my male to cancer about a month ago. Sucked. But the pair....highly recommended. It was like having twins for a little while there in the beginning but well worth it. When my female passes...I think we'll do it again.