Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used car recommendations

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Used car recommendations

Sitting in a Honda dealership while the wife tests an Accord and a CR-V. I had an Accord 20 yrs ago and loved it, but I know squat about cars. Any thoughts? Might check out Subaru as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Used car recommendations

Look at the Fit while you are at Honda. Davids seems to like the Fit and he doesn't like anything. I have ridden in a Fit - nice, but a little smallish, but lots of usable space. Lots of good stuff, both realistic and fantasy, in the Automobile thread in the Wardrobe section.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My brother has a CR-V and loves it. He's also had really good luck with the Mazda 3's. My wife just came home with a Ford Escape last night. Now I need to get rid of one of the other 4.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Price range? General idea of what you're looking for?

I keep trying to get my girlfriend to look at a Pontiac Vibe. It's a rebadged Toyota Matrix (which is a great, uber-practical little car IMO) but since it's a Pontiac and POntiac is uncool, it sells at a significant discount over the identical Toyota.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom,

I know nothing about Hondas from an ownership stanpoint, but my father-in-law has a CR-V. Best thing about it ... just remove the bike's front wheel and the bike slips right in and locks in place with the brake levers snuggly jammed between the rear seatback and something else (can't remember what is there at the moment). It has all-wheel drive which helps in winter, but drags down the fuel economy all other times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to beat the price on a new Jetta with the clean burning diesel engine. If you are looking at something the price of a used Subaru, might get you a new VW. Comes in a kombi version that is nice, and the engine has a lot of zip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Hard to beat the price on a new Jetta with the clean burning diesel engine. If you are looking at something the price of a used Subaru, might get you a new VW. Comes in a kombi version that is nice, and the engine has a lot of zip.
    if i were to ever buy new (or nearly new) again
    the tdi would definitely be my pick

i had an old one (before they were tdis)
    and drove the wheels off that car
    cruising on the interstate getting 50mpg
    and stupid days go-nowhere of traffic
    at 30

and its manners have gotten nothing but better since then
    check the passat or the jetta

230+ lb-ft of torque at ridiculously low revs surprises most people
    Last edited by sonny; 12-09-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys. Had a VW Passat for her last car and it's at 160k, seems like we've had a lot of trouble with it. I had Audi's (A4 and A6) years ago when I was an exec and loved them, but we're in a different income bracket now. She loved the Accord, much more than the CR-V, so it looks like she's headed that way. Looking to spend 20k or so, more than doable for a used one. I'm thinking about getting something for me and have been thinking about the Ford Transit, seems like a good mix for small deliveries to NYC, which I do and going to bike races. Anyone have one of those?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you're into compact-ish fuel efficient, you should check out the 2012 Ford Focus; pretty slick car, great interfaces/bluetooth/nav options, VERY good mileage (40+) and fairly fun to drive. +/-$20k new.

Also, the 2012 Subaru Impreza has upped the mileage significantly (34-35hwy) and is quite reasonable, with several models around the 20-22k mark.

Jetta TDI Sportwagen is a terrific car, but they're not widely available new. There's a guy in VT here who specializes in the secondary market for lightly used TDIs of all stripes; he might be worth a try if you're interested:
    Vermont TDI Imports

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My next car is going to be a TDI wagon with a stick. God knows when that will be, though. Crikey, the last car I had sat two, had no roof, and there was a turbocharger spooling a foot behind my head. Is this what getting old is like?

I've heard good things about the Vibe as well. Ugly as sin though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

get a toyota
    a perfect " i want a car to get places, not to think about" car
    i just gave my kid my 170k camry.
    never put $1 repair dollar into it. i still cant believe it. got another one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    get a toyota
    a perfect " i want a car to get places, not to think about" car
    i just gave my kid my 170k camry.
    never put $1 repair dollar into it. i still cant believe it. got another one.
    I agree with pucci. I have worked for Toyota the past 17 years. My old 4runner had 220k on it. Only repair outside of brakes and a battery was a heater switch. Lexus IS is still running at 200k+ and no repairs. In our drive way at the moment is a Corolla XRS and a 4runner
    Falling from high places, falling through lost spaces,
    Now that we're lonely, now that there's nowhere to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Fit and while it has its downsides you can pack it like no other.

I currently have $$$ down on an Impreza hatchback. I really wanted to like the Focus hatchback but it just isn't as well thought out. Having compared the '11 and '12 Impreza the '12 seems worth the extra cash opposed to the cheaper used '11. I don't see gas prices going down and Chicago usually has higher than average prices anyway so there is savings there. But the interior space is better too. AFAIK the Focus is not much more American made than the Impreza since the Impreza is assembled in Indiana and apx 50% of the Focus parts are foreign.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Officer View Post
    Thanks guys. Had a VW Passat for her last car and it's at 160k, seems like we've had a lot of trouble with it. I had Audi's (A4 and A6) years ago when I was an exec and loved them, but we're in a different income bracket now. She loved the Accord, much more than the CR-V, so it looks like she's headed that way. Looking to spend 20k or so, more than doable for a used one. I'm thinking about getting something for me and have been thinking about the Ford Transit, seems like a good mix for small deliveries to NYC, which I do and going to bike races. Anyone have one of those?
    I think Passats in the US are under-powered. They really benefit from the TDI engine in Europe, and for whatever reason, VW doesn't sell the Passat with a TDI in the United States. Bizarre, because I think Passat TDI wagon is nearly the perfect car for a family. Europe is covered with them. And I think VW has admittedly had some quality control problems in the past years (see Consumer Reports) that they seem to have licked recently (see Consumer Reports.)

But VW has two weaknesses - interior durability and routine maintenance requirements. For whatever reason, they haven't learned how to make a cloth interior that doesn't fall apart. That's (I think) why the new Jetta has leather interior at a fairly low price point. And their engines, like Honda engines, really like you to make a qualified mechanic part of your extended family. The reward is that you get (with the TDI engine) 45mpg and a multi-hundred thousand mile engine.

I like Subarus and had a Forester that I tried to destroy in SE Arizona. It was a great car. BUT it requires cheap gas, because the gas mileage sucked. I don't know where they got their EPA ratings (perhaps with a totally stripped car, no seats, no passengers, and definitely no bikes on the roof,) but I found even 25mpg to often be fairly optimistic. I got more like 20-22mpg. However, they too seem to have done some work on improving their cars (see this morning's NYTimes.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a 1986 Honda Accord that got to 257,000 miles before I got rid of it.
    My daily ride is a 1999 Honda Accord that just turned over 280,000 miles and is still going strong with just oil changes, etc.
    My wife drives the 2006 Honda Accord that is not even broken in at 58,000 miles.
    A friend has a Fit that I've driven lots. You can get 4 people in one with 3 bikes on a hitch rack and one with wheels off in the back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Passats in the US are under-powered. They really benefit from the TDI engine in Europe, and for whatever reason, VW doesn't sell the Passat with a TDI in the United States. Bizarre, because I think Passat TDI wagon is nearly the perfect car for a family. Europe is covered with them. And I think VW has admittedly had some quality control problems in the past years (see Consumer Reports) that they seem to have licked recently (see Consumer Reports.)

But VW has two weaknesses - interior durability and routine maintenance requirements. For whatever reason, they haven't learned how to make a cloth interior that doesn't fall apart. That's (I think) why the new Jetta has leather interior at a fairly low price point. And their engines, like Honda engines, really like you to make a qualified mechanic part of your extended family. The reward is that you get (with the TDI engine) 45mpg and a multi-hundred thousand mile engine.

I like Subarus and had a Forester that I tried to destroy in SE Arizona. It was a great car. BUT it requires cheap gas, because the gas mileage sucked. I don't know where they got their EPA ratings (perhaps with a totally stripped car, no seats, no passengers, and definitely no bikes on the roof,) but I found even 25mpg to often be fairly optimistic. I got more like 20-22mpg. However, they too seem to have done some work on improving their cars (see this morning's NYTimes.)
    I'm a subaru fan, and a VW fan. I seem to alternate back and forth betwen VW/Audi and Subaru when I car shop. I'd say the non-turbo'd Subarus are good daily drivers with robust motors that are reasonably fuel efficient. The interiors have improved in recent years also. They have the added bonus of being AWD, and I see you're in CT; not sure if that's a consideration.

Unlike j44ke, I'm a huge fan of the interiors in VW's. I don't think anyone can touch them at their own pricepoints. The 2.0 turbo motor is very reliable and most the consumer group gripes about VW reliability are rooted in small electronic gremils, and not in mechanical problems that will leave you stranded. My current car is an all wheel drive VW golf. It has an interior that is as nice as BMW's five series and the utility of a small wagon. I have a friend that somehow managed to kill a Honda CRV after only 130K... don't ask me how. The transit van you asked about is everywhere in europe: It's not the most glamorous drive, but it sure is practical.
    Last edited by al415; 12-10-2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: a your vs you're meltdown

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 for 4runner. 210K miles; 15 New England winters (400+ days skiing). Kids, dogs, bikes, moving furniture (interior has held up great). The only thing I've done is change oil, tires, and brakes. There is a little rust on the wheel wells, but otherwise runs mint. My only compliant is the gas mileage, but I've been biking to work for longer than I can remember....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should be more detailed - I was referring to upholstery. The cloth upholstery, particularly in the back seats, seems easily damaged especially if you frequently raise and lower the back (which requires pulling up the seat and folding down the back) to carry larger things, like bicycles, inside the car. This is on VWs (Golf and Passat) in the last 10 years. Our Golf, a 2004 TDI TLS 4-door, needs to periodically have its upholstery re-tucked here and there in the back, and that's about the same as the newer Passat we drove in Europe. More recently they may have resolved that. In fact, I am betting they have and the Jetta upholstery options may be a sign of that.

As far as overall interior, our Golf is as quiet and solid feeling inside as a larger heavier car. No problems with dials and knobs. And that TDI engine is amazing. I am not sure I would get any other car than a VW with a TDI engine in it. It just goes and goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure I would get any other car than a VW with a TDI engine in it.
    plenty of options there. often with better mpg than a vw.

a2's with the 3cyl motor don't rust and use very little fuel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take a look at a Honda Element before they stop making them. It is a bike moving machine when you take the back seats out. We can do two TT bikes, two trainers, two extra sets of wheels, tools, cooler, race and after race duffle bags and still have room for other crap. And it has 4wd for the winter. Only downsides are underpowered motor and a bit noisy compared to a proper sedan. But then again, it's not a sedan and I have a toy for go fast days. The Element is a get from A to B vehicle and we wanted the interior space. The Element is a love it or hate it type deal though.

Also have a VW Golf that I love. These are great little cars. Drove the sportwagen and liked it but choose the Element instead. Two very different vehicles.

Toyota - my 1992 4x4 with 22RE keeps chugging along but we were very disappointed with the 2004 Tacoma V6 that we just parted ways with. The 92 is a great truck on and off road while the 04 was just OK and wasn't as competent off road. When I bought the '92 they were hands down the small truck to have and the new ones are no where near the same beasts.

I would take a look at Hyundai too. Very good price points and seem to be doing quite well. Dad has a med size SUV and it drives well. He doesn't do enough miles to stress it but is very happy with the purchase. Few years old now and zero issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast