Thread: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

Very nice!

I've sold off most of the pocket knives I bought earlier this year and picked this guy. It's big(ish) but is awesome and is small in the pocket. Titanium liner lock, made in the USA, thin razor sharp 20CV blade. They offer a bunch of scale options, I've got the green linen micarta and like it a lot. Up until recently they're hard to get, they can't make 'em fast enough, you had to get on a wait list - and getting on the list was difficult. They're gonna have some available, with no wait, here in a few days. They'll sell out that day, so if you want one...be ready when they go live.

ATOMS AVAILABLE 12/19/19 at NOON EASTERN :: Three Rivers MFG., LLC

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monolith Knives is a small handmade knife company near Charlottesville VA, so "in the neighborhood" so to speak of several VSalonistas. The maker's name is Zack Worrell, and his shop is on his family's farm. His primary focus is culinary knives, but this folder that I got is really nice. A bit of heft to it but very well balanced in the hand. Check out the gallery pages for some over-the-top examples of Worrell's skills, like this amazing bread knife - why be bored while slicing bread!?

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn, that's a great looking pocket knife.

I just added this to the collection. Benchmade 485 Valet. I've got the same knife in wood from the Shinola collabo, but had a chance to get this at a good price. With the light weight, deep pocket clip, fantastic AXIS lock and now the more durable G10 handle this will probably be my main EDC knife.

"I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Resurrecting this thread, because my wife just got me this. Titanium case, stainless blade. 3.5" blade. Has a locking tab and clip on other side. Can be opened with one hand. Nice!

Jorn,
    Looks terrible. You should send it here for disposal.
    Sp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't fall for it, Jorn. Pucci will take it and send you a bill for the "disposal fee." Send it here instead and I'll waive the fee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Don't fall for it, Jorn. Pucci will take it and send you a bill for the "disposal fee." Send it here instead and I'll waive the fee.
    I was going to send him a discount coupon to cover 5% of the fee!
    " Fairness and equity " should be my middle name.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uhm.....
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uhm.....
    7% off the disposal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This should be the last addition for a while. My family pooled resources to go all in on a knife that's way nicer than a knife should be as a Hanukkah/Christmas gift. Chris Reeve Mnandi with thuya burl inlays and ladder damascus. It's just perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice Matt!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This should be the last addition for a while. My family pooled resources to go all in on a knife that's way nicer than a knife should be as a Hanukkah/Christmas gift. Chris Reeve Mnandi with thuya burl inlays and ladder damascus. It's just perfect.

i nealry purchased a similar knife, its so lovely, i love me the dmascus steel.

Matt, and all the others with experience with different blade styles and profiles:
    I am considering a camp or bush style knife for my outdoorsy pursuits, fixed or folding, not decided. I am weighing the merits of a more dagger point balde, vs something more blunted.
    Can anyone offer the positives and negatives of the blade styles?

more dagger shaped:

more blunted point:

these knives are rad
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monolith Knives is a small handmade knife company near Charlottesville VA, so "in the neighborhood" so to speak of several VSalonistas. The maker's name is Zack Worrell, and his shop is on his family's farm. His primary focus is culinary knives, but this folder that I got is really nice. A bit of heft to it but very well balanced in the hand. Check out the gallery pages for some over-the-top examples of Worrell's skills, like this amazing bread knife - why be bored while slicing bread!?

that is the most lovely bread knife
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    i nealry purchased a similar knife, its so lovely, i love me the dmascus steel.

Matt, and all the others with experience with different blade styles and profiles:
    I am considering a camp or bush style knife for my outdoorsy pursuits, fixed or folding, not decided. I am weighing the merits of a more dagger point balde, vs something more blunted.
    Can anyone offer the positives and negatives of the blade styles?
    A lot depends on what uses you have in mind for the knife. If you're planning on working a lot with wood then the spear point pictured might be the better choice. It would allow you to 'drill' holes easier. If you plan on using it for skinning animals, then the drop point (more blunted) is the pick IMO. The tip is much less likely to pierce an internal organ and it has a longer belly, i.e. more cutting edge. For general use I would almost certainly pick the drop point as I think it's a more versatile blade and of the two pictured I would definitely rather have the bottom knife. But it really is personal choice, there is no right or wrong.

As for folder vs fixed....fixed all the way. The last thing you want is to have a blade fold back on your hand in the middle of nowhere.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my uses would be less for hunting, more for meal prep, cutting rope, repairs on equipment, and general camp/boat/fishing use.

i was leaning toward the drop point, but have very little experience in the field, so thanks so much for sharing yours!
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep. Folders for city life and a backup in the woods. Fixed for anything that requires real work. For outdoorsy pursuits I brings a simple fixed blade and a rugged Benchmade folder as backup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"...Chris Reeve Mnandi with thuya burl inlays and ladder damascus. It's just perfect...."
    Wow. That is absolutely stunning and beautiful craftsmanship. Congratulations on your new gift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    my uses would be less for hunting, more for meal prep, cutting rope, repairs on equipment, and general camp/boat/fishing use.

i was leaning toward the drop point, but have very little experience in the field, so thanks so much for sharing yours!
    I have a CRKT Squid pocket knife and it is a blunt nosed knife. I really like it as a tool, but that means it does a lot of things not having to do with cutting or slicing. I kind of grub around with it, dig here and there, pry, etc. but the blade stays nice and sharp so I can cut whatever I need to. But I would like some length to it, especially if I was getting a fixed blade knife, because what I am cutting and the blade and my hand are all just a bit too close together. Eric Estlund has one he calls a Foraging Knife, which is sort of the perfect descriptor and looks like what I envision I would want - a foraging knife.

Photo taken from Eric's Winter Cutlery website, without permission so hope he doesn't mind.

Last edited by j44ke; 12-26-2019 at 06:40 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My father in law is waaaay into knives, has a boatload of them. He got me one of these for Christmas. It's kinda cool...it's CRAZY light. The whole thing is carbon fiber or titanium, the only steel is the blade, which is 2.75", only ~1/16" thick, crappy steel but super thin grind and VERY sharp out of the box. Mine weighs in at 26g (0.95oz). The pocket clip kinda sucks, not quite enough space under it to fit easily over jeans, and it's tip down carry only. But if you wanted a knife to keep in a sport coat interior pocket, I can't think of anything better, 'cause it's so light you'd never notice it was there. But it's so small it's kinda awkward in the hand, and you obviously don't want to do anything remotely 'heavy duty' with it. I don't see me carrying it much at all. But it is kinda cool.

Last edited by dgaddis; 12-27-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhhh Matt got that Chris Reeve. Mmmm mmmm. You have good taste. Between that and the Benchmade I'd say you are set for life or until you get bored ;)