Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Strike September 20

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Climate Strike September 20

I believe Greta Thunberg when she tells us that we have not done enough to combat climate change. I honestly believe that if we continue to leave this problem unabated, even exacerbated, that our generation will have failed. And failed spectacularly.

She brought the IPCC report to Congress and asked them to read it. “I am submitting this report as my testimony because I don’t want you to listen to me, I want you to listen to the scientists,” she said during the hearing. “And I want you to unite behind the science. And then I want you to take real action.”

“This is not the time and place for dreams, this is the time to wake up. This is the moment in history we need to be wide awake. Dreams cannot stand in the way of telling it like it is, especially not now.”

Telling it like it is. Like the the fact that we are fucking up. Thank you, Greta, for the wake-up call.

She asked them not to praise her and her fellow youth activists and tell them how inspiring they are, if that inspiration does not result in action.

I’m taking the day off on Friday, to do what I can to support youth climate activists. Enough is enough. Anybody with me?
    Last edited by thollandpe; 09-19-2019 at 07:23 AM.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Climate Strike September 20

I am always on strike.

But yes.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't find it ironic you could start by turning off the computer and your cell phone? This is attention grabbing not action. We cannot expect the government to do it for us. We must do it ourselves by making smart choices. Beginning by deciding not to procreate. The single worst thing you can do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will happily be going to work just like any other day.
    I am not influenced by arrogant loudmouthed teenagers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XR2 View Post
    You don't find it ironic you could start by turning off the computer and your cell phone? This is attention grabbing not action. We cannot expect the government to do it for us. We must do it ourselves by making smart choices. Beginning by deciding not to procreate. The single worst thing you can do.
    Leaving the procreation comment aside because it is inevitably an invitation for a sh*tstorm...

data use is indeed a contributor to climate change, however the internet and computers are an integral part of society, communication, business/finance and entertainment. They can be used and powered through completely renewable, zero-carbon energy, should the regulatory bodies demand it (or individual companies elect to do so, since renewable energies are cheaper than oil-based in many parts of the world now). Turning off your computer and tuning out is not going to make the change, but organizing and demanding oversight for how the energy that powers those computers is obtained might.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    Nor the scientists who those teenagers are asking the attention to be turned to?

I will be striking, yes.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"arrogant and loudmouthed" is a label that has been applied, in various ways, to just about every individual who made the world a better place.
    Give me arrogant and loudmouthed any day over complacent and silent. Kid's impressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and it seems we might have a generation coming up that is not influenced by arrogant loud mouthed baby boomers. will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If "arrogant and loudmouthed" is describing Greta, with all due respect Blue Jays, this is incorrect. She is quite the opposite, which, were you to listen to any interview of her, is apparent.

I am not being argumentative, but to dismiss her this way is wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm working on Friday because I'm a manager. The US has decreased it's greenhouse gas emissions since 2015 (mostly from the shift to natural gas for energy) and the US is half that of China. Is she going there next?
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You don't find it ironic you could start by turning off the computer and your cell phone? This is attention grabbing not action. We cannot expect the government to do it for us. We must do it ourselves by making smart choices.
    Not a bad idea, to turn off the computer on Friday. I’ll consider that.

I've made some pretty smart choices to reduce my carbon footprint. It's important to that our government stop making dumb choices. More on that later.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, we cannot expect the government to do it for us, but we should not expect our government to actively try to thwart efforts to combat climate change which is the current situation in the US.

On another note, 1/8 of Americans struggle with hunger, yet we waste about 40% of our food production. (according to Kroger) Not sure if this is accurate, but since AG is a huge part of the greenhouse footprint, it all seems related.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry you've decided to write off humanity. Yes we've irreparably damaged the planet, and it can never be restored to the way it was before the Industrial Revolution. But we (humans, including those yet to be born or reach maturity) can develop and implement solutions that will allow us to live in greater harmony with the rest of our natural world. Technological progress has brought us great benefits along with the damage, and has pulled us through repeated crises. I choose life - for humanity and the planet.

I hope you'll change your mind.

So which arrogant loudmouths do influence you?

Or is this just a nasty, spurious attack?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    "...Or is this just a nasty, spurious attack?..."
    This child's brash pomposity increases daily. She is a kid who happens to be strident for her cause.
    She would be of far better help by imploring China and India to practice better conservation techniques.
    She advised (on video) she would not meet with the President of the United States. Now that is arrogant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Blue Jays You're picking a fight with a literal child.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    @Blue Jays"...You're picking a fight with a literal child..."
    Incorrect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No that it is smart - why should she subject herself to that arrogant bastard - have you seen how he treated and spoke to Nadia Murad (watch whole video and tell me how you would have felt seeing him act like that) --- I am more ashamed that the organizers allowed her to meet tRump - the asshat did not even have the decency to get up from his desk to greet this young lady

When President Trump this week met human rights activist Nadia Murad, an Iraqi who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2018 for speaking out about her agonizing torture and rape while in Islamic State captivity, he seemed unaware of her story and the plight of her Yazidi ethnic minority.
    For several minutes in the Oval Office on Wednesday, Murad stood beside a seated Trump, who mostly avoided eye contact with Murad, and implored the president to help her community return to Iraq. She explained that the Islamic State, or ISIS, may be gone but that Iraqis and Kurds are fighting for control over Yazidi lands.
    “If I cannot go to my home and live in a safe place and get my dignity back, this is not about ISIS,” she said, her voice breaking. “It’s about I’m in danger. My people cannot go back.”
    Murad, who lives in Germany, told Trump that she never wanted to be a refu¬gee but that ISIS murdered her mother and six brothers.
    “Where are they now?” Trump asked.
    “They killed them,” she repeated. “They are in the mass grave in Sinjar, and I’m still fighting just to live in safety.”

“I know the area very well that you’re talking about,” Trump responded.

Trump told Murad he would look into it “very strongly.” As she started to back away, Trump said: “And you had the Nobel Prize. That’s incredible. They gave it to you for what reason?”
    “For what reason?” Murad replied. “For, after all this happened to me, I didn’t give up. I made it clear to everyone that ISIS raped thousands of Yazidi women.” She told him she was the first woman to get out and speak publicly about what was happening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

China and India signed the Paris Agreement. The only two nations not to sign were Nicaragua and Syria, and they've since joined. We have since pulled out. We are the only country to reject the global pact.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

she would not meet with the President of the United States.
    Confirmed. Smart kid.

I'm on board.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast