Thread: Texas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Texas

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I actually think you are thinking like a European here. Nippon means Sun Origin, the Land of the Rising Sun is really a western romanticized notion which the Japanese will use. Before Japan was Nippon, it was either WA (和) or YAMATO for the Imperial Ruling family. Over time to cement the myth of the Emperor being a descendant of the Sun-Goddess (Amaterasu Okami), Nippon was probably used. Marco Polo recorded it as Cipangu (日本國) Mandarin reading, which from the Chinese point of view, Japan was- Country of Sun Origin since it lies east. Or maybe we argue this is all shaped by the Japanese use of the Chinese Characters- and all of this is just a random choice by some buddhist monk 2000 years ago.
    I think you might be going in circles there.

What is the distinction between Sun Origin and the Land of the Rising Sun?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It should be noted that since Uvalde, there have been 17 mass shootings in the United States. This violence left at least 13 dead and 70 injured. 14 of these shootings occurred over the Memorial Day weekend.

There were 8 shot in Taft OK, 7 shot in Henderson NV, and 6 shot in Chattanooga TN among others.

So far there have been 230 mass shootings this year. Through 151 days of the year.

That is 1.52 violent incidents in which 4 or more people were shot per day.

Somehow the United States must focus on fixing this.

And, on a related note, many who have argued that gun control should be "closer to the voters" and a "states rights" issue want to have a national law allowing "constitutional reciprocity" so that folks from concealed carry no permit states can carry concealed weapons in states where it would be illegal to do so under those states' laws. Which, of course, is illogical if you really believe in "states rights".
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More corrections to the original narrative. The teacher did not leave the door propped open.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...r-door-closed/
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cannot begin to imagine the emotions that teacher is feeling.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the guns, made worse bc our white-centric frontier culture is swimming in them while colliding with rapid change, challenge to the established order of things, diminishing horizons for many and failing to spend $$ where we need to.

It ain't the door.

It was predictable.

Unless we vote the GOP (and culturally backwards dems) out at every level and start addressing the fuckups that got us here it will only get worse.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post

Unless we vote the GOP (and culturally backwards dems) out at every level and start addressing the fuckups that got us here it will only get worse.
    What's the past tense for "unless"? More probably than not, the GOP will regain control of both the House and the Senate this fall, and the presidency in 2024. The GOP will keep its jackboot firmly planted on the throat of American democracy until it (American democracy) is dead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    What's the past tense for "unless"? More probably than not, the GOP will regain control of both the House and the Senate this fall, and the presidency in 2024. The GOP will keep its jackboot firmly planted on the throat of American democracy until it (American democracy) is dead.
    I would not bet against your analysis.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    That's exactly what's going to happen. Unless everyone left of the party of Trump stops bickering and starts voting together like democracy depends on it, which it does. But I'm afraid there's too many egos on the left for that to happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/uval...-i-was-scared/

Interview with the teacher that opened the door.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    On the Indian bit, I don't think it was to do with physical resemblance between Americans and Indians. The bumbling idiots set out to reach India by heading West in order to prove that the Earth is round, and when they crossed the Atlantic, they thought they landed in India. Or, did I get that confused?
    Yes that's right.

Main idea from Cristóbal Colón was that the earth was round and he could reach the indias faster by going straight to the west without having to go around Africa. The Suez canal didn't exist at the time.

Also the term indias at the time wasn't designating only what is now known as India but everything east of Iran. It was basically a synonym of Asia.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the subject of naming group of people, I see an issue using the terms african american, asian american or mexican american. First because they are often used without actually knowing the nationality of the person in question. Some people moved to the US but don't have any US paper and don't consider themselves US citizens. And you can't figure that out just by looking at someone's physical attributes. I recently saw someone referring to a black man as African American while he was Nigerian and didn't describe himself as an American. Also while some descendent of slaves are proud to consider themselves african and some have lost track of their exact ethnicity, many other African would find that too limited. Especially when said people have lived extermely violent wars again other ethnic groups in Africa. Also cultures and physical characteristics in Asian countries are very different. Japanese and vietnamese descendants have pretty much as much in common as an Irish and a chinese. In the case of mexican-american, well, first unless you are 100% sure the person is a mexican imigrant, and not someone whose descendants where native of the area before the european arrived, you can't really define them as mexicans. Also Texas was part of New Spain but spanish settlements and population remained low for a long time, and then Texas was part of the Republic of Mexico for what? 15 years? We don't call them french-american because they were french for 5 years. Also people from other latin-american countries origin also live in the area. They can be easily mistaken because they lived in the area long enough to lose some specificities of their country of origin vocabulary and accent and adopt others. Hey my mexican gf has relative that have been living illegaly in the USA long enough for her to say they have a weird spanish accent and they sound like gringos. Hispanic is not that much valid as some newer generations speak very little spanish. Chican@ is also very specific to mexican origin, latin@ is not necessarily widely accepted and well, I mentionned the difference of a vietnamise and a japanese, same applies to a Mexican from Nayarit and a chilean and argentinan leaving in Tierra del Fuego

All in all, those definitions are always to specific or to broad to be of valid use as they are all prone to mistakes.

Sounds to me that we should just stop classifying people. One of my nephew was born in a germany from a french father and a japanese mother. He will hold these 3 nationalities until his 18th birthday when he will have to choose which one(s) he surrender (Japan do not allow dual citizenship). If I had children with my mexican partner, which group would they be part of and why couldn't they be of the same group as my children from a past relationship (which both have 2 nationalities)? These situations are more and more commons and outside the patterns of large migrations/invasions/deportations of the previous centuries.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 06-02-2022 at 06:24 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    More corrections to the original narrative. The teacher did not leave the door propped open.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...r-door-closed/
    I don't even understand how that door thing is relevant.

Even if someone had left the door open it is obvious no teacher would do that on purpose and it would have been of little resistance to someone motivated enough to mass kill in a school. A school isn't and shouldn't be a closed jail. All my life access to the school was open at all time and anyone could enter and exit whenever he felt like to.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 06-02-2022 at 06:28 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    It isn't.

It never was.

It's the guns.

It's the guns + our violent, frontier mentality, sanitized and revered in every aspect of our culture to the point that most folks are about as conscious of it as they are of breathing + socio/economic stressors, change & challenges particularly to particular demographics.

Interestingly, troublingly, but not surprisingly, and I've not looked for data on this, as it relates to mass shootings it seems to be disenfranchised white guys.

And those disenfranchised white guys, at least the ones old enough to vote, are f'cking clueless when it comes to why we and they are in decline, latch onto nationalistic asshats and proudly vote in their own worst interest in vain attempts to get back to Leave it to Beaver daze...though Gunsmoke is probably a more apt metaphore.

And then there are the global existential environmental problems which are starting to balloon.

It's much like the late evening of April 14, 1912 (at best); we're hammering along, fat, drunk and some of us happy, paying no real attention to nothing that matters, as Earth Ship Titanic starts heading into the ice field. What could possibly go wrong?
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    well, hardening the schools won't work here. Or are we now proposing Doctors carry weapons? -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if someone had left the door open it is obvious no teacher would do that on purpose and it would have been of little resistance to someone motivated enough to mass kill in a school. A school isn't and shouldn't be a closed jail. All my life access to the school was open at all time and anyone could enter and exit whenever he felt like to.
    The single locked door makes sense until you ask the Fire Department.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All my life access to the school was open at all time and anyone could enter and exit whenever he felt like to.
    I recently bid a school here in Austin that had an alternate for bullet-proof glass and ballistic drywall within the secure vestibule (entry point that all visitors must pass through). That was a bit shocking.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm shocked that the Tulsa shooter bought an AR-15 right before the killing spree. Shocked I am.
    Would a mandatory waiting period have prevented these deaths, possibly. Would he have done the same if AR-15's weren't legal, possible as well? But why not make it harder and see. In countries where such weapons are not available the number of mass killings is way down compared to the U.S. -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I hear one more Fox-news infused zombie talking about how there is a "mental health crisis" out there, I'm going to scream.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    well, hardening the schools won't work here. Or are we now proposing Doctors carry weapons? -Mike G
    I know a few that already do.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.