Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pate

Ok, Heres a dish I make once a year or twice at the very most. It is an awsome take-along to a party and with new years looming I thought it would be nice to share. This is a double batch and I think the cost ended up being about 8 bucks.

Start with good hard boiled eggs, (eggs in cold water, bring to a boil for one minute, take off heat and let sit for 12 minutes)
    2 or 3 per batch is good, I used 5 for the double.

One medium sized onion per batch and a good splop of garlic. I used one white and one yellow this time.
    All that in a pan with olive oil, my baubie used schmaltz but schmaltz is never the right answer so olive oil it is.
    Cook the onion until they start to clear and then hit them with a really good shot of salt an a medium amount of black pepper.
    When they're done put them in the fridge next to the eggs.

Untitled by Huckleberry cycles, on Flickr

Into the same pan while its hot with some more oil put the chicken livers, each batch uses one pound. I always rinse them before I use them. Cook these until there is just a little pink left on the inside, they will finish cooking as they set in the pan off the heat. Over cooking makes them hard, hard livers make the pate taste....well, hard. Not good, we're going for delicate.
    At this point you either cool the livers before you grind or just go ahead and get it done. So now you assemble your parts, the eggs, the livers the onions and about a stick and a half of celery per batch. Save out a yolk or two for garnish.

Grind it all up into a bowl, here I'm using my baubies old hand crank grinder. This thing is well over a hundred years old at this point, still works great too. I'ts my go-to tool for custom ground hamburgers as well :-).
    I'm sure you could use a food processor but I have no idea what setting you'd use so you are on your own there.

Once it's all in the bowl mix it up with a spoon, put it into a bowl as a mold and invert onto a plate. Clean it up around the edges and smooth with a knife. Garnish with the egg yolk and chill it down untill you are ready to use it.

The plate I dished up here is going next door to my old Pops. The rest is mine to devour at will, it's good on chips, crackers, anything. My favorite is a solid half inch or so on a sandwich.

Anyway, there you go. Pate.
    Happy holidays everone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pate

You are a Prince doing that for Pops.
    I do make that once a yr. but I've got to use schmaltz for authenticity. The only diff. between yours and mine is I finish with sherry or bourbon depending on mood. Also, once out of the mold mine gets a heavy grind of black pepper.
    That's classic. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll stop by soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Bellman....
    My old French boss would call this pate de Campagne- country pate. Not what we serve in a fine dining restaurant.
    But it is a favorite of mine! Rustic and chunky, great stuff. I've made it and added thyme, capers, and pistachio nuts for color.

I used to make a mousse pate...take all the livers, veggies, fatback, herbs and some brandy...marinate then puree, strain in a chinois.
    Bake in a water bath...Rich as hell

But I like yur pate...Nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RIHans View Post
    Nice Bellman....
    My old French boss would call this pate de Campagne- country pate. Not what we serve in a fine dining restaurant.
    But it is a favorite of mine! Rustic and chunky, great stuff. I've made it and added thyme, capers, and pistachio nuts for color.

I used to make a mousse pate...take all the livers, veggies, fatback, herbs and some brandy...marinate then puree, strain in a chinois.
    Bake in a water bath...Rich as hell

But I like yur pate...Nice!
    Awsome,! Country pate is a perfect description. It's the type you can dive into with friends at the picnic table.

On a goose trip 15 years ago to a very rural eastern oregon county I saved the livers from 7 limits or so and made a giant batch of this recipie for the locals down at the tavern that evening.
    We couldn't buy a beer the rest of the night and my buddy tells me they still talk about it.

I'm totally going to add capers to the next batch, I love those little buggers, Thanks!