User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Stocking up- staples to have on hand?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Stocking up- staples to have on hand?

With our recent move, a bunch of frozen stocks and other goodies did not make the trip to the Midwest. So, with cx races for the next batch of Sundays, I am going to devote a few Saturdays to re-stocking my freezer/larder. (Starting next week- we have a double race weekend in the Chi-town area upcoming). This will give me time to get my hands on what I need and hit the ground running.

That said, wanted to see what you’re all’s idea of what the essentials are to have on hand? Bonus points for anything that is aided by using the Big Green Egg.

So far, this is what I am thinking:
    • Beef stock- already have some frozen bones waiting for this.
    • Roast a duck- render the fat and make stock from the carcass.
    • I have plenty of chicken stock, but maybe thinking about smoking a chicken- ideas for what to do with the bones? Demi glace?
    • Dough for bread and pizza
    • Piperade
    • Red sauce

Any other good ideas?

Does anyone keep salt cod on hand, and if so, what do you make with it?

I’m on a bit of a foodie kick right now and want to capitalize on it while I have the time and inclination.

Thanks,
    M
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Stocking up- staples to have on hand?

Grab the last of fresh basil in farmers markets and pre-make pesto minus the garlic. Freeze in small batches.
    I like to have a few small legume sides done and frozen. Things like black beans, plain chickpeas or dal all freeze well and are actually better after sitting.
    Roast a pumpkin, peel and oven bake, cut up and freeze.

For the fridge make some tapinade which keep for weeks: spicy eggplant, garlic, olive oil, salt roasted in the oven....keeps for weeks.

Cheese, I could go on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    With our recent move, a bunch of frozen stocks and other goodies did not make the trip to the Midwest. So, with cx races for the next batch of Sundays, I am going to devote a few Saturdays to re-stocking my freezer/larder. (Starting next week- we have a double race weekend in the Chi-town area upcoming). This will give me time to get my hands on what I need and hit the ground running.

That said, wanted to see what you’re all’s idea of what the essentials are to have on hand? Bonus points for anything that is aided by using the Big Green Egg.

So far, this is what I am thinking:
    • Beef stock- already have some frozen bones waiting for this.
    • Roast a duck- render the fat and make stock from the carcass.
    • I have plenty of chicken stock, but maybe thinking about smoking a chicken- ideas for what to do with the bones? Demi glace?
    • Dough for bread and pizza
    • Piperade
    • Red sauce

Any other good ideas?

Does anyone keep salt cod on hand, and if so, what do you make with it?

I’m on a bit of a foodie kick right now and want to capitalize on it while I have the time and inclination.

Thanks,
    M
    Well my Mom was born and raised in Newfoundland so I ate lots of salt cod (Bacalao in Italian).
    Here is my favorite simple Portuguese stew from the dorymen that fished the Grand Banks from the mother ship schooners.
    1.You must soak ,rinse and drain Salt Cod a number of times. Let soak a good amount of time before draiining and soaking again.
    2.Layer sliced potatoes,cod,onion,tomatoes,green pepper.
    3.Repeat layers in a deep ceramic bakng dishl. Four layers is just fine.
    4.Drizzle with 3/4 to 1 cup olive oil (adjust according to amount in baking dish).
    5.Bake for 1 hour at 350-375.

It is very simple but satisfying. I like to add some Louisiana ketchup (Tabasco) to my plate.

Of course you can add any seasoning you may like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Server with slotted spoon to avaoid a puddle of olive oil on plate.