Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

Get an Executive instead I just bought this one. I've carried one like it for 30 years at least lost the twin to this one in the bottom of a lake years ago. if you get one look for the older style that still has the screw slot in the scissors. I gave my last one to Jessi when she went to College, I'd carried it since before she was born, and now she carries a part of me wherever she goes. Fits in a pocket well does all the things I need a pocket knife to do and if I need a bigger knife...well that can be arranged.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, Opinel is a good choice, but (as someone noted) the only knife that doesn't scream threat to the typical person is a swiss army.

That said, you asked for a knife for a gentleman, so your choice is fairly clear: Higo Nokami Gentleman's Knife.
    Geoff used to race around on a Brodie Sovereign
    Geoff Morgan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Jgorman made a good call. That is the same knife my day gave me many yrs. ago.

However...time marches on and of all the 8(?) pocket knives I've got the Benchmade with the axis lock is the best and most pocketed. It's light, sharpens easily and the mechanism is the nuts. I doubt you can still get them but this is what I carry:
    Benchmade Osborne AXIS Silver Handle G10 D2 960-SLV
    I love my Benchmade. It was my every day carry for years right up until I was told that my knife made people uncomfortable around the office. So it stays home. You folks have posted some really great options (especially the WH Spearpoint Eric posted), but in most office settings it's better to keep these types of things as mild as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i fully respect your right to carry a pocket knife on a regular basis. but help me understand, because i feel like i'm missing something. i'm 33 and cannot recall a single time in my life where i said, "if only i had my pocket knife with me." granted, i'm not a forest ranger, but i've had a diverse selection of jobs so far in life. what are you guys using your pocket knife for, especially in an office setting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You haven't lived until you've passed the time in another boring IT Project Status meeting by whittling an Ewok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a pocket knife since I was 6 or 7, and I use it multiple times every day. Yesterday I cut food, opened boxes, and wired some lights. I imagine I could use a key or my teeth for 60% if what I use a pocket knife for, but that seems a little less refined.

I have been to several weddings and events where, when cutting needed to be done, I was the only person there with something more capable then a nail clipper.

*Note- I have managed to never have "real" office job. In my particular circles, no one seems to give a second look to having any number of tools in ones pockets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    i fully respect your right to carry a pocket knife on a regular basis. but help me understand, because i feel like i'm missing something. i'm 33 and cannot recall a single time in my life where i said, "if only i had my pocket knife with me." granted, i'm not a forest ranger, but i've had a diverse selection of jobs so far in life. what are you guys using your pocket knife for, especially in an office setting?
    Very few days pass when I do not make use of my pocket knife. Standard joke in our house "do you have a knife?" always gets a giggle. Heck, even queen has a folder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i always have a small knife. it is rare that a day passes without me opening and using it.
    opening boxes, opening beer bottles, popped the top off a can of deck sealer today, all the time and dont have to go looking for something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1. I can't claim to have done anything super-manly with my pocket knife. I've never cut down a tree to make a fire to save plane crash victims; never cut a hole in a choking victim's throat; never butchered a spit-roasted pig.

For me, it's about opening stuff that I'd normally struggle with because I keep my fingernails short; for example, those dastardly foil tops on certain drink containers that kids like. Rather than trying to pick the edge apart and peel it up, I stab a hole in it and insert a straw. I could live with out it, but why try?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i must have opened $10k worth of bike parts in boxed that came in the mail with my current pocket knife at this point...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just ordered this ( Gerber 22-41830 EAB Pocket Knife, Exchange A Blade - Amazon.com ), I think its pretty cool (I like the square look) and for some reason utility knives aren't threatening. I need a knife often enough in my office, building models and cutting paper. I also do a bit of leather work and open quite a few bottles of wine (with my opinel corkscrew combo.) on the beach with some cheese. I guess I just like it. I really want the Boker AngryScientist posted.

I also have this, I like it, but too thick for my liking in my pocket (like the opinels) Folding Pocket Knife - Terroir Knife - Duluth Trading
    Terroir-Pocket-Knife-1.jpg
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benchmade. photo.JPG
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesand View Post
    Benchmade. photo.JPG
    "After my pocket knife failed to cut through the industrial strength Cabot cheese packaging on their extra extra sharp cheddar, I was forced to shoot it open."

Clearly, every man needs both a pocket knife and a concealed hand gun (is that even a hand gun if it is smaller than one's hand?). Never know when you'll be confronted by a stubborn block of cheddar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Sodbuster pattern Sean linked to is also made by Case and Queen Cutlery (both domestically I believe). The Queen version has some inconstant factory sharpening (from reports), but is made from the best materials and is remarkably inexpensive (about $30 street). As mentioned though, they are not particularly slim. A nice daily knife, but not one I would pocket on the very rare occasion I need to dress up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The gun is there for the possibity that someone may prefer Swiss to cheddar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    The gun is there for the possibity that someone may prefer Swiss to cheddar.
    or in case someone thinks they can share that cheddar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"After my pocket knife failed to cut through the industrial strength Cabot cheese packaging on their extra extra sharp cheddar, I was forced to shoot it open."

Clearly, every man needs both a pocket knife and a concealed hand gun (is that even a hand gun if it is smaller than one's hand?). Never know when you'll be confronted by a stubborn block of cheddar.
    Black Class Mel Pardue? Sweet
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The current 530 is also pretty nice, and closer in heft and thickness to a gentleman's knife.

My M2 730CFHS has been in my pocket for 12 years. It's a keeper (but not really a suit and office work deal).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i was 16 i had a summer job here Boat Sales, Tohatsu Outboard Sales, Mid Coast Maine Marine Repairs and Storage: Welcome to the Sheepscot Bay Boat Company and we were more or less required to have a knife on us ll the time. my knife of choice back then was buck single blade locker. see that guy in the pics? he was one of my bosses, and on any given day he, his father, or 1 of his 2 brothers would say " blackie, you got a knife on ya" and lets just say it was better to answer yes! i still love pocket knives and generally have one on hand, christ my boat has at least 5 knives on it, car has 2, etc...ps: blackie is another one of my nick names up here cuz i worked w/a guy whose last name was white, thus whitey, which made me blackie, which they still call me when i see them. Too Tall: you had lunch about 100 yards from this place last sept i believe! laguiole rocks - w/any luck you'll use it in front of a hot french chic and she'll be impressed. otherwise you can't go wrong w/a vinatge Buck 3 blade folder, swiss army , opinel, schrade old timer small folder, etc...
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh heck yes. You called it man, best lunch ever :)
    Mike, when I was racing boats for the St. Michael's Maritime Museum I always had a Rigging Knife and like you my captain pretty much required it.
    I still use it for making rope ends and cutting rope...looks like this:

Quote Originally Posted by mainemike View Post
    when i was 16 i had a summer job here Boat Sales, Tohatsu Outboard Sales, Mid Coast Maine Marine Repairs and Storage: Welcome to the Sheepscot Bay Boat Company and we were more or less required to have a knife on us ll the time. my knife of choice back then was buck single blade locker. see that guy in the pics? he was one of my bosses, and on any given day he, his father, or 1 of his 2 brothers would say " blackie, you got a knife on ya" and lets just say it was better to answer yes! i still love pocket knives and generally have one on hand, christ my boat has at least 5 knives on it, car has 2, etc...ps: blackie is another one of my nick names up here cuz i worked w/a guy whose last name was white, thus whitey, which made me blackie, which they still call me when i see them. Too Tall: you had lunch about 100 yards from this place last sept i believe! laguiole rocks - w/any luck you'll use it in front of a hot french chic and she'll be impressed. otherwise you can't go wrong w/a vinatge Buck 3 blade folder, swiss army , opinel, schrade old timer small folder, etc...