User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can you do in Northern California for two weeks in June and July?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What can you do in Northern California for two weeks in June and July?

So, following up tp this thread: What can you do on Cape Cod for two weeks in June and July?, my wife and I decided we are headed to SF and surrounding areas (we already booked the tickets).

These two links seem interesting:

The Big List of Northern California Strange & Unique Spots

Ultimate Northern California - 10 stops (8-10 days)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: What can you do in Northern California for two weeks in June and July?

Now you're talking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What can you do in Northern California for two weeks in June and July?

Go follow Houston around for a couple weeks. You'll have a blast. Other than that...are you bringing bikes? Do you like wine? Do you like to eat? Hiking and nature? Let us know a couple of the types of things you like to do for fun and I'm sure we can give you some can't miss destinations. Northern California has a lot to offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would die trying to keep up with Houston, Lionel, and others. Maybe if Lionel loans me his Porsche, I can try and keep up with them on the bikes.

Have not been back in a loooooooooooong time. Work in tech so use to fly out all the time in late 90s and early 00s. Very excited to be going back.

Not bringing bikes but might rent. My wife likes wine but I do not drink. We love to eat (anything great from the local taco joint to 5 star restaurant). Anything active and outdoors works for us. I am tempted to bring our moto clothes and helmets so we can rent something fun for part of the trip.

Thought we might head to Yellowstone, Tahoe, Redwood Forrest, and a few other places depending on how much driving we want to do. Will stay a few days in each location. Flying in/out of SFO.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Go follow Houston around for a couple weeks. You'll have a blast. Other than that...are you bringing bikes? Do you like wine? Do you like to eat? Hiking and nature? Let us know a couple of the types of things you like to do for fun and I'm sure we can give you some can't miss destinations. Northern California has a lot to offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What can't you do? At that time of year the world is your oyster. Great cycling, hiking, etc etc etc as you well know. Popular tourist spots, like Muir Woods, will be crowded on weekends, so maybe go on a Tuesday or something.

The restaurant scene is alive and well. Oakland's dining scene has exploded in the last few years as people flee SF. For example, I just had a meal at Juhu Beach Club that was truly memorable.

If you're familiar with the area from the 90s, although some things have changed, many things have not. Alcatraz, for example. Book well in advance (read: now). Some other old standbys are still there, but have been rebuilt or renovated - like the Cliff House, redone about 15 years ago now, a definite improvement from the previous version. Same goes for the de Young museum and the Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park - both must-visits IMO. South of Market (SOMA) has changed too -its safe now, but boring. The Westfield Mall on Market Street @ Powell is worth a visit just to see the old dome from the Emporium.

Catch a Giants game if you can. The ballpark is a gem. And tickets are cheap because the Giants stink this year (even though we're on a roll right now!).

For wine, skip Napa and head to the Santa Cruz Mountains for a more intimate, less polished-marble-clad experience.

Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could take a trip from Reno to Mendocino

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yellowstone may take longer than a day trip from SF. Just sayin'.
    niksuldalv

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tomales Bay for the oysters and beer.
    Point reyes Light house
    Pro tip on Muir Woods- get there when it first opens like be there 15 minutes before it opens. Its spiritual first thing i. The morning before it get crowded.

Holler I will be happy to show you around on a bike if you are in Marin and want to ride some dirt as Matt knows I charge in beer.

Along with Santa Cruz Mountains. Anderson Valley is nice for wine too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going out to Tahoe for ~4 days in June. Not bringing bikes -- which I suspect I'll regret -- but just to spend time doing ANYTHING out there is such a wonderful respite from NYC that IDGAF.
    If I was going to spend two weeks I'd plan a few more activities...but not necessarily a whole lot more. Go, relax, enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the Bay Area! DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING VISIBLE IN YOUR CAR WHEN PARKING IT FOR ANY AMOUNT OF TIME. Thieves are rampant. They will take anything that isn't nailed down and you'll need new windows. There is so much to do in and around SF it isn't even funny. I especially like Golden Gate Park, Muir Woods, Samuel P. Taylor State Park, SF MOMA (the de Young and Legion of Honor have kind of lackluster permanent collections), Alcatraz (touristy but really cool - make sure you buy tickets NOW, not the day or week you plan on visiting), Point Reyes and Tomales Bay, and any of the tidepools along the coast.

Make sure you schedule some relaxation. There's always next time.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be watching this. The wife and I are flying to Seattle for 2 days the maybe 3 day drive to S.F. and 2 days there before heading home. I know 2 days are not enough in either city but we will cram.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Visit wineries if you're into that kind of thing, but be very very careful. They ship.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From SFO, go directly downtown, check in to your hotel, spend the afternoon at SF MoMA, etc., as other suggested. Have dinner somewhere great. No shortage of great options. Your concierge can probably help with reservations - book in advance.

Next AM, you'll be up early (still on East Coast time) - get a light bite at the hotel, then hit Golden Gate Park and/or Marin Headlands before everyone else shows up. Watch the fog burn off. Worth seeing the old bunkers and batteries if you haven't been before. Then grab a late breakfast or early lunch in Sausalito. May as well stop in to Above Category and the grocery shop down the block to get snacks for the drive down to Santa Cruz.

Hang out @ SC for a night or two and do anything/everything down there.

After you've seen one or two good Pacific Coast sunsets, you're ready to do the rest - Nat'l Parks (all good), Napa, Giants game, etc.

Take your time. Get lost. Rent bikes somewhere. More sunsets. Take pictures.

Bon voyage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Fairfax Festival is not to be missed.

After that, wander across the street to the Marin Museum of Bicycling and Mountain Bike Hall of Fame.
    My book, Fat Tire Flyer: Repack and the Birth of Mountain Biking, is available everywhere that fine books are sold. Reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How has nobody shared this gem yet?

https://www.itsiticecream.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    How has nobody shared this gem yet?

https://www.itsiticecream.com/

factory is right by the airport.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is always one of the balloon rides through the wine region. Depending on the weather, they can take 5 hours going up one valley and down another. Good food is usually part of the bundle before and after.

There is also the possibility of visiting Soulcraft in Petaluma and Steve Potts in Point Reyes, but I imagine they only have time for customers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post

There is also the possibility of visiting Soulcraft in Petaluma and Steve Potts in Point Reyes, but I imagine they only have time for customers.
    that would sure be an easy problem to solve as i will have my credit cards with me while my wife goes for a spa treatment

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like this so far: 4-5 days in Sonoma taking it easy, 2-3 days in Santa Cruz, 4-5 days in San Fran, and then home. Now need to fill in the details of things to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    Steve lived in Inverness, not Point Reyes, but now he lives in Petaluma.
    My book, Fat Tire Flyer: Repack and the Birth of Mountain Biking, is available everywhere that fine books are sold. Reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast