Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ride Etiquette

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ride Etiquette

went riding with a friend yesterday and the question of passing and announcing your presence came up. What do you think is the more effective method? Verbal Hello with On your left or right etc or ringing a bicycle bell? I don't use a bell, I always use the power of speech -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ride Etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    went riding with a friend yesterday and the question of passing and announcing your presence came up. What do you think is the more effective method? Verbal Hello with On your left or right etc or ringing a bicycle bell? I don't use a bell, I always use the power of speech -Mike G
    Its complicated. You should probably use common sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    It doesn't fall properly into etiquette but when I'm on a MUP I try to use a greeting such as "Good morning", etc. It's more personally engaging and it's surprising how many times I've ended up in conversation with the rider and ended up having delightful company for an hour. Kids always get a special word of praise or encouragement if I can.

Of course, if they are wearing ear buds, I just use an air horn since they aren't going to hear anything else. (j/k)

And there is no truth to the rumor that some triathletes use their bottom bracket or front derailleur instead of a bell - squeak, squeak, grind, grind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with "its complicated" or maybe better it varies, because you just don't know the experience of the other person and there are endless situations. I go with always deferring to anyone I'm passing, pedestrian or other biker and concur with always saying something to the kids. And with all of that said despite my best efforts people still sometimes get PO'd. Not long ago I was admonished by a headphone wearing hiker for not having a bell, after I had announced my presence three times...

As I think about it, I would add another thing that I think should be common decency, but at least around here isn't. I've noticed many of the roadies in my area when they see another rider, pass or get passed are particularly unfriendly or unconversational. I get that sometimes you're in the middle of something, but I also know what that looks like. At least throw in a hello/wave, I don't agree with completely ignoring people, riding the other direction or any of the other anti-social stuff I've seen. I'll concede if it's a busy MUP greeting every rider might be a bit much, but I don't live in that area. If we see another rider on the road here, its the only one you'll see all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i used to use my mouth.
    now i use a bell.
    people move out of my way faster when i ding.
    i think it cuts through the music in their headphones better.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    i used to use my mouth.
    now i use a bell.
    people move out of my way faster when i ding.
    i think it cuts through the music in their headphones better.
    Why do people have to move out your way?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is the one who is doing the passing's responsibility to avoid the slower rider/walker/etc. A friendly "on your left" avoids startling them. A cheerful ring of the bell in addition is fine too. It is the passers responsibility to make sure the situation is safe. If it isn't safe, slow down and wait until it is.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I am goimg to use this phrase for about any advice I dole out. POTW

Regarding the topic: I silently pass or ring a bell depending on what I think is the most polite option.
    Last edited by joosttx; 07-31-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never thought about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked because my friend with the bell was not getting the desired results and I've never used a bell myself

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    I asked because my friend with the bell was not getting the desired results and I've never used a bell myself
    What was the context? What was the desired result?
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    It is the one who is doing the passing's responsibility to avoid the slower rider/walker/etc. A friendly "on your left" avoids startling them. A cheerful ring of the bell in addition is fine too. It is the passers responsibility to make sure the situation is safe. If it isn't safe, slow down and wait until it is.
    On MUTS, on your left just might have people move left into your path. Happens often enough that real slow and silence is best. I would rather have a pissed of MUT user than a busted collar bone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MUPS are political and that's all I've got to say on that.

When I was working Downtown and for 25 years I traveled 15 miles each way on the MUP. The most effective, least offensive and best thing I did was all the above. You have got to use your common sense, decency as a (patient) human being and protect the sanctity of the venue yo.

A few people here have heard me singing nursery rhymes to get attention...it's so weird it works....think "little boxes" or "
    Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
    A kiddley divey too, wooden shoe "

Ohhhh

It works.

PS - if you are on my wheel dinging your bell incessantly I might go nuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I used to run, I'd do a fair number of miles on a MUT. I'd be thinking about something else and somebody would do a DING right behind me and I'd just about pop a hamstring when I startled. These days I start with the freewheel about twenty yards back, slow to a walking pace and say "Good Morning" or something. Where I am the MUT is how you leave town to get to the roads depending on which direction you're leaving town. Any uninterrupted time there is a bonus, my assumption is I'll be slowing a lot until I can finally escape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    What was the context? What was the desired result?
    That seems to be the unanswered question.

If someone's riding toward you across the center line and you need to get their attention to avoid them running into you, I'd use my voice rather than a bell.

If you're passing people in front of you, having them hold their line is about the best you can hope for. Silence is sometimes best there.

If you're hoping that everyone on a congested path is going to move out of your way, that's on you. Turn off the Strava and slow down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furthering this.........when I'm on the open road and passing a fellow cyclist, I will move to the ctr line (after checking 6) and say on your left. This way I'm not upsetting a fellow cyclists but so far away that if they do veer left it will not be a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's an american thing, people on group ride in the US are driving me nuts with all the completely useless car up, car back, rider up, rider back, yelling all this shit. Who cares ? That and all the road signs pointing at things on the road that represent zero danger. Too much information is no information. All my group rides in France we point at things that are dangerous only and warn about cars that seem to have an unusual or dangerous behavior. That it, it's the way it should be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Lionel said.

I try to leave as much room as possible between me and the riders I pass. If someone veer slightly from his line just slow down a bit. It's not the end of the world if your shoulders contact as long as the speed differential is low. I shout a friendly "hop!" if the rider is swerving dangerously.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 07-31-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As mentioned above - context is king.

"MUT/MUP" ... I assume these are "Multi-Use Path/Trail". Which means these are smallish path/trails with walkers, runners, kids on bikes, roller blades, etc, etc.

Not sure if that what the OP is referring to.

Out on the road it is just a matter of giving enough space so that if they swerve because either they don't know you are coming up on them or they are startled. Wave and say hello while passing.

Personal I don't think the 'on your left/right' thing works very well on a MUT. Generally by the time that someone computes whether you are asking them to move to the left or right you are already in avoidance mode. Generally I freewheel before I am too close, if they still don't hear me I say "hello" or "good morning". The let them pick a side.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    It's an american thing, people on group ride in the US are driving me nuts with all the completely useless car up, car back, rider up, rider back, yelling all this shit. Who cares ? That and all the road signs pointing at things on the road that represent zero danger. Too much information is no information. All my group rides in France we point at things that are dangerous only and warn about cars that seem to have an unusual or dangerous behavior. That it, it's the way it should be.
    I find that it greatly depends on the group. Local WC/fast groups (aka really experienced cyclists) that I've ridden in (metro D.C., NC, FL) say little. Lesser riders in slower groups, it's nutz. Then they miss pointing out that one awesome pothole.

Also, pedestrians in the USA aren't as smart as they are in France.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast