Likes Likes:  0

Thread: way OT: home router question

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default way OT: home router question

I'm looking to squeeze some more range and signal power out of my old Linksys home router. Specifically, I want to get more signal into two locations that are at opposite ends of the house. At one end, I need it just for plain old internet connectivity. At the other end, it needs help to keep a strong signal going to an airport that I use to stream music to my outdoor music system (airport hooked to inputs on old receiver w/ wired speakers). I'm considering a couple alternatives. First is to go with some high gain antennas. Second is to reflash the firmware with something (i.e. DD-WRT or Tomato) that will allow me to ramp up the output RF power on the router. Anybody done anything similar to this? Traps? Suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: way OT: home router question

Back when people didn't password protect their wifi, i built a wifi antenna out of a spider (the cooking utensil), a USB wireless receiver and some other random stuff. I was able to pick up a full signal from 5 houses down.

so many movies downloaded.

Total cost was under $20.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a similar problem. Moved the primary router to one end of the house. Added a wireless range extender at the other end of the house. Works slick. I'm sure there are better ones out now. I've been using this one for a few years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've used ddwrt and tomato on about a dozen linksys routers--tomato gets the nod for stability and ease of use/simple gui atmo. they're both way ahead of the stock firmwares. plus the appropriate machine (wrt54gl) can be had for cheap.
    if your linksys is compatible, install one (not always straightforward), and you'll be amazed instantly. the other option i'd recommend (esp. for streaming) is something like a high zoot asus unit. greased lightning and plug and play. routers have come a long way in the past decade

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

save the antennas for your 6 mile bridge or a >5000sqft home atmo

edit: or poaching ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have seen the Asus routers and just get confused by the number of models. Here's a rundown of what we do...Hardwire to a mac mini, blu-ray (streaming netflix), and printer shared on the network. Wireless for ipads, a couple laptops, a desk top, iphone and the airport (streaming audio from the mac mini itunes). None of our wireless stuff is using the super new wireless protocols - pretty sure that g is the fastest that we have. I like the idea of the third party firmware so that I can bump the RF up a bit. Part of my problem may be that we have a lot of WLAN in a small area as, neighbors on two sides are both using wireless. The site survey feature in the software might be a big help in grabbing on to a clear channel. The 5000 sq ft figure makes some sense, as that is about the size of our lot and the signal needs to get close to the edges of the lot. Router location really can't be moved due to location of the hard wires. The long signal runs both need to go through a couple of walls, but these are island style single-wall constriction, so there is not a bunch of material there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just for giggles move your present wireless router to the ceiling height. Did that fix the problem?

+1 on range extenders. That works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the site survey is a neat tool. even with dozens of APs you can usually find an odd numbered channel to reside.
    try toot's recommendation and move the router higher and maybe flip it on its side if no pointable antennas
    otherwise it sounds like one tomato wrt54gl is the way to go, or two bridged with wds for max saturation

also: messing with tx power usually doesn't do much in a household situation. just more noise. no matter how loud your router shouts, it still has to make out a (usually non-adjustable) reply
    the only time i've found jacking it up is useful is when setting up a long link with two yagi antennas aimed at eachother. same settings on both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll see if I can raise the router location. It currently sits pretty low (desk height). I'll also see if I can reflash it with tomato - this is going to be a matter of compatibility. The router is pretty old, thinking 6-7 years or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As an indicator of where mu head has been, I read the title to this and thought " oh, I wonder what people will say about the Fein" ....

Ok, I have read this and got in the right place and glad I did as I am trying to figure this issue out as well. I have a couple of what may as well be dead spots in the house, both the same side of the house; the basement and the upper floor.

I have been wondering, if were to put something like this

Buy Cisco Linksys RE1000 Extender | SAVE + FREE SHIPPING

in the sitting room, so right between the "dead spots" - any thoughts on whether that would do the trick??

I go into BestBuy and some kid with pimples starts yapping at me and my eyes just roll back in my head ........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. That's exactly what I have done a couple of times. These things can work pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    As an indicator of where mu head has been, I read the title to this and thought " oh, I wonder what people will say about the Fein" ....

Ok, I have read this and got in the right place and glad I did as I am trying to figure this issue out as well. I have a couple of what may as well be dead spots in the house, both the same side of the house; the basement and the upper floor.

I have been wondering, if were to put something like this

Buy Cisco Linksys RE1000 Extender | SAVE + FREE SHIPPING

in the sitting room, so right between the "dead spots" - any thoughts on whether that would do the trick??

I go into BestBuy and some kid with pimples starts yapping at me and my eyes just roll back in my head ........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with a 7 year old router, a new mid-range router would almost surely help a lot. I can't see spending money on range extenders if you don't have a fairly new router

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As it turns out, I solved (for the time being) one problem by moving the big ball of cat5 cable off of the antennas that had been pushed down flat. The menehune must have put the cable there. Pretty sure that a router upgrade is in the works though, just to improve signal quality through the house. A new router costs about the same as a range extender.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm converting my old Lynksys to Tomato this weekend. Any tips?

If you don't hear from me in a while, you'll find me at the Apple store.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just went and got a new router. Asus RT-N56U for the gear geeks. Seems faster. Signal is better on stuff that I have used so far. Still have to see on the outdoor music streaming.

You should not have any problems with a reflash. Good luck and report back with your results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    I'm converting my old Lynksys to Tomato this weekend. Any tips?

If you don't hear from me in a while, you'll find me at the Apple store.
    don't be afraid to reset and unplug, even if it's not in the destructions
    sometimes once the unit is flashed it will act like it is dead. it isn't

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    I just went and got a new router. Asus RT-N56U for the gear geeks. Seems faster. Signal is better on stuff that I have used so far. Still have to see on the outdoor music streaming.

You should not have any problems with a reflash. Good luck and report back with your results.
    This is the one the tech guys at my job recommended. Great value.