User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Throwing in the towel: personal grooming intel for 40+,55+ Cat 2/3/4 only

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Throwing in the towel: personal grooming intel for 40+,55+ Cat 2/3/4 only

Twenty somethings please turn your heads.

When I was a kid the sight of a full grow'd (Jewish) man's nose and ear hair frightened me. Now I are that guy were it not for personal grooming and planning.

Personal grooming planning went out the window this week when my trusty Groommate broke. For something that is essentially milled from a lead pipe and bailing wire what the heck could go wrong? Poor casting seems to be the culprit. "I was just trimming along..." when snap!

Let the Wiki for alien hair growth implements of destruction begin here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Throwing in the towel: personal grooming intel for 40+,55+ Cat 2/3/4 only

hedge trimmer.jpg

If you are anything like me, i would start here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Throwing in the towel: personal grooming intel for 40+,55+ Cat 2/3/4 only

There is a long running joke in my family that my parents picked up the wrong kid at the Beth Israel some years ago and that there is a blonde kid with bad skin in a Jewish family somewhere.

Wife tweezes the unibrow when needed. Wax has been tried, but tweezing is more effective. I have some sort of electric mower for my ears when there gets to bee too much to pull out when I am fidgeting. This device doubles for edge trimming after I mow my diminishing hair.

If your ear hair, etc is a major and regular job, consider electrolysis or laser to nuke it proper for good. Old man hair in odd places only gets worse.

You could always spring the extra 20 bucks and get another Groommate to last you another 25 years. The broken one is recyclable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    There is a long running joke in my family that my parents picked up the wrong kid at the Beth Israel some years ago and that there is a blonde kid with bad skin in a Jewish family somewhere.

Wife tweezes the unibrow when needed. Wax has been tried, but tweezing is more effective. I have some sort of electric mower for my ears when there gets to bee too much to pull out when I am fidgeting. This device doubles for edge trimming after I mow my diminishing hair.

If your ear hair, etc is a major and regular job, consider electrolysis or laser to nuke it proper for good. Old man hair in odd places only gets worse.

You could always spring the extra 20 bucks and get another Groommate to last you another 25 years. The broken one is recyclable.
    Ohhh Groommate makes a new uber uber version. Sigh. They would have to put me under to do laser on my nose and than there would be the ridicule.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, I am already feeling elevated by this thread; a groomate, eh? now it looks like they have the super duper goom mate platinum XL!! Now is this made with real platinum?

I have long been a simple plucker, striving to avoid being misinterpreted as a picker. I will follow this thread, educate me!
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You roll in public in stretchy pants. You can handle the ridicule.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tweezers, scissors, a good source of light, and a steady hand.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Tweezers, scissors, a good source of light, and a steady hand.
    Yes THIS^ for WASP-y types like moi...but for the truly hirsute, this may not be enough. I hit the nose /w scissors, an occassional biff of the inner ears w/ one of those little rotary nosehair trimmers, (better for ears then the nose, for sure) and the outer ear bits I just hit with a razor once in awhile. I figure that crap like back hair, etc.. is like strokes n' heart attacks; You get to be around my age and if you haven't had it happen yet...you're quite possibly gonna be OK until you are too old to care much if it does happen.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Half Sicilian half Tuscan heritage here. With nose, ear, and back hair definitely the former genes clearly won out . Can braid it after about ten days if not careful. My cephalic hairline is well on its way to e-Richie (who I admire and wish to emulate, but not tonsorially) and easily mowed with a #2 comb. Deal with it all with a $35 Wahl kit from Costco - haven't paid for a haircut in three years + and the small trimmer in the kit plus a rotary trimmer take care of the nose. Occasionally do the back and chest hair out of vanity in the summer with a ManGroomer (only Christmas gift I could think of to ask wife for last year). The legs weekly, of course, because, depending on your perspective I am either a) poseur or b) dedicated bike racer. When it all comes together with the perfect hair storm (haircut, back, chest, legs, brows, ears, nose all in same sitting) it looks like someone killed a bear in the bathroom. Crime scene clean-up is in order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    Half Sicilian half Tuscan heritage here. With nose, ear, and back hair definitely the former genes clearly won out . Can braid it after about ten days if not careful. My cephalic hairline is well on its way to e-Richie (who I admire and wish to emulate, but not tonsorially) and easily mowed with a #2 comb. Deal with it all with a $35 Wahl kit from Costco - haven't paid for a haircut in three years + and the small trimmer in the kit plus a rotary trimmer take care of the nose. Occasionally do the back and chest hair out of vanity in the summer with a ManGroomer (only Christmas gift I could think of to ask wife for last year). The legs weekly, of course, because, depending on your perspective I am either a) poseur or b) dedicated bike racer. When it all comes together with the perfect hair storm (haircut, back, chest, legs, brows, ears, nose all in same sitting) it looks like someone killed a bear in the bathroom. Crime scene clean-up is in order.
    Coffee all over my screen.

Tweezing makes me sneeze.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lord, i'm screwed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    lord, i'm screwed
    That's right pup. Next on the hit list are old men with hairy noses talking about discount shopping. Give in now while you still have friends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

plucking nose hairs has long been a trick to staying awake on long drives in between races.
    fistfuls i tell ya
    makes you strong like bull
    "make the break"