Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Do I need a flickr account?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do I need a flickr account?

It seems as though every framebuilder and their mother has a flickr account.

Is it necessary to be on flickr with process photos and finished product photos? I think our site does a good job of providing that type of access already. Plus I never did like their interface/navigation much.

Help me understand the benefit.

Conor

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do I need a flickr account?

i like flickr because the cost is low in return for the storage space and the ease of making galleries and collections atmo.
    and, image URLs are an easy grab when you want to embed them in posts. according to my opinion, it's more logical than
    attaching pics from your desktop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's also a cheap way to backup your pictures (in full resolution), just in case of a disk crash...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's always a good idea to give people new ways to find you. Folks that have never heard of Winter have found me through Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might also check out Googles Picasa,I prefer the interface/navigation.
    one can view a complete page of photos whithin a gallery at once and click on the individual images rather than Flickrs scrolling thing.
    -Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those of us that are newbies it's a great way to follow the "daily" routines and build sequences of other builders. The "My Contacts" view gives a quick update to whom have updated during the last few days (or hours). I also find it interesting to study tooling, modified tooling, methods, setups, smart solutions to problems/challenges and so on. Combined with a Google Reader account and a set of good blogs to follow, it fills my daily info need in the domain of bicycles and frame building.

Looking forward to add you as a contact, Conor!

Truls (Flickr: Johnsen Frameworks' Photostream )

Edit: Feel free to go through my contacts page. I believe it's fairly complete in regards to builders with flickr-accounts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edelbikes View Post
    It's also a cheap way to backup your pictures (in full resolution), just in case of a disk crash...
    I have wondered about this. Can you download entire sets or collections from your own account? Can you really use this as a e-hard drive for photos?
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmermanbicycle View Post
    You might also check out Googles Picasa,I prefer the interface/navigation.
    one can view a complete page of photos whithin a gallery at once and click on the individual images rather than Flickrs scrolling thing.
    -Eric
    +1

Dave
    Dave Anderson
    Anderson Custom Bicycles
    www.andersoncustombicycles.com
    ACB on Facebook
    ACB on flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conor,

Definitely get on Flickr. With it's groups and such you can really expand who sees your photos. They also have an open API so you can pull your Flickr stuff onto your website with a little AJAX action if you want to/know how to. There's also an uploader you can use from your desktop to upload photos into sets, add tags, titles and descriptions. A yearly account is only $25.00. As other's have said, it's fun to see what other people are doing and see people looking at your stuff. You can integrate it with Facebook too.
    Tom Palermo
    www.palermobicycles.com
    photos

Palermo Bicycles
    steel bicycles & frame repairs
    Baltimore, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cement shoes View Post
    Conor,

Definitely get on Flickr. With it's groups and such you can really expand who sees your photos. They also have an open API so you can pull your Flickr stuff onto your website with a little AJAX action if you want to/know how to. There's also an uploader you can use from your desktop to upload photos into sets, add tags, titles and descriptions. A yearly account is only $25.00. As other's have said, it's fun to see what other people are doing and see people looking at your stuff. You can integrate it with Facebook too.
    That is interesting. I've used json and html, css, etc., along with other tools for various projects and accessing the flckr api might be a good way to learn more about AJAX and those related technologies. I'm not completely sold on RESTful services, but it is what it is so that would be engaging as well.

I currently use Jalbum for setting up galleries for our website. It's simple and and has a built in ftp client but perhaps some additional content to flickr would be worthwhile.

Thanks,

Conor

p.s. Like Stan, I really don't want to get sucked into Facebook.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conor,

Do it. I find Flickr to be dead simple to use. Maybe I shouldn't be sharing this, but about half of my customers find me through Flickr which is amazing considering that I rarely post shots of finished bikes. People seem to enjoy the process of perusing process photos.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by conorb View Post
    That is interesting. I've used json and html, css, etc., along with other tools for various projects and accessing the flckr api might be a good way to learn more about AJAX and those related technologies. I'm not completely sold on RESTful services, but it is what it is so that would be engaging as well.

I currently use Jalbum for setting up galleries for our website. It's simple and and has a built in ftp client but perhaps some additional content to flickr would be worthwhile.

Thanks,

Conor

p.s. Like Stan, I really don't want to get sucked into Facebook.
    I hear you re Facebook. I heard from someone I haven't seen since 2nd or 3rd grade yesterday. Turns out we went to the same college, graduated at the same time and now work 2 blocks from each other in DC. Freaky. But, that social/viral thing is really cool to see unfold and the way you can twist all these different sites up is really cool.
    Tom Palermo
    www.palermobicycles.com
    photos

Palermo Bicycles
    Baltimore, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    Conor,

Do it. I find Flickr to be dead simple to use. Maybe I shouldn't be sharing this, but about half of my customers find me through Flickr which is amazing considering that I rarely post shots of finished bikes. People seem to enjoy the process of perusing process photos.
    your fab shots are amazing though. totally fascinating stuff watching a Ti build come together.
    Tom Palermo
    www.palermobicycles.com
    photos

Palermo Bicycles
    Baltimore, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need to link my flickr and site together to update a post as a bike comes together in pictures...
    If anything just have a flickr to see what other builders are doing is reason enough, and one more place to waste your time on the internet! Flickr wins cause that's what the people use... for a reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom,

Dude, your last post was March 19th...Your green and white mixtie had me sucked in...please post more!
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tony,

I know, I know. My wife is withholding many photos of some finished stuff until I fix her website. But you know, my day starts at 5:15am for the day job and last night ended at 10pm in the frame shop setting up the fixture and some SFL tubes. Lately, the camera is the last thing on my mind. I'll try to do a better job there. Thanks for calling me out on it.

-Tom
    Tom Palermo
    www.palermobicycles.com
    photos

Palermo Bicycles
    Baltimore, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not? It's a great place to store pics inexpensively and provide links back to your website in the image descriptions, and if you add Google Analytics (free!) to your website, you'll be able to get quantifiable data about what kind of traffic that you're generating.

I never met a form of e-marketing (except outright spamming) that wasn't useful. But then, my day job, I'm in e-marketing. Go figure. :-)
    Ita erat quando hic adveni.
    www.danbailey.net