User Tag List

Page 297 of 350 FirstFirst ... 287288289290291292293294295296297298299300301302303304305306307 ... LastLast
Results 5,921 to 5,940 of 6992

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Thanks, these are good answers. I was not so much wondering about buying a (single) family car as buying an extra car of a particular size to function primarily as a kid-carrying device for daily, relatively short, trips. Ideally I'd say that the ideal kid-schlepper is small and electric. Emissions are like bees - most concentrated around the hive - so reducing the concentration of emissions around the daily destinations seems to make sense. Mass transit and alternative forms of travel (bikes!) make more sense, but assuming nearly zero appetite among the targeted demographic, an electric car would be better.

Then the gas-machina gets loaded for trips where mileages are longer.

So drive everyone everywhere around town in the (electric) Fit and use the wagon for trips towards the distant horizon. Which means everyone buying Teslas based on their single-charge range might be doing it backwards. Most cars do far less than that on a daily basis. And definitely buying a Chevy Suburban "because we need to take the kids to X" is over-sizing.
    Jorn these are great points, and there was an article I think in the NYT this week about how the space race for mileage range for EV’s may be misguided, and that there should be a shift towards selling electric cars to city dwellers and two car household who also have a gas/long range car for longer trips. This would speed EV adoption and lessen the need for heavy, expensive batteries, making EV’s more attainable to more people earlier in the curve.
    Last edited by robin3mj; 09-02-2022 at 09:27 PM.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Jorn these are great points, and there was an article I think in the NYT this week about how the space race for mileage range for EV’s may be misguided, and that there should be a shift towards selling electric cars to city dwellers and two car household who also have a gas/long range car for longer trips. This would speed EV adoption and lessen the need for heavy, expensive batteries, making EV’s more attainable to more people earlier in the curve.
    I want a pickup truck the same way I want a dog. In theory, both would be great and a lot of fun. But both create care & feeding and housing realities that don't make much sense for the way we live. But I could definitely see owning something like a Nissan Leaf as the 80% car. I don't even need that much cruising range on the Leaf - 100 miles is plenty - as much as I might need something like fast charging.

Our friend's Volvo electric is pretty eye opening. They live in the NE Catskills and drive it everywhere. The cruising range is so far beyond the daily mileage that even on days they do lots of errands and go to their family's cabin in the Berkshire for an afternoon swim (50 miles from their house), they rarely need a charge. And now they just had a charger installed at the cabin, so there are basically no limits.
    Last edited by j44ke; 09-03-2022 at 10:46 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In our situation of 1 EV and 1 ICE (V?) our EV is 15 years newer and at least 15 times better in every way. So, yes we could take the ICE-V on longer trips but who wants to spend more time in the way less good car? I don't think our situation is unique. I do agree that having a small battery EV for all the daily driving and ICE for longer trips is probably the way to go but for many I don't think this is how it will happen. The EV will get most of the use, even for longer trips. This is a chicken and egg situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somewhat on topic, my wife and I had a conversation after seeing a VW ID4 this week, and I’ve decided I like it when ICE brands keep their familiar appearance for their EV models. The ID4 is not an example of this, Volvo EVs are.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Somewhat on topic, my wife and I had a conversation after seeing a VW ID4 this week, and I’ve decided I like it when ICE brands keep their familiar appearance for their EV models. The ID4 is not an example of this, Volvo EVs are.
    Yeah, but this:

I'm so impressed with this design, which simultaneously looks just like a car and like nothing else I've ever seen outside of a car show.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn’t planning on replacing the Miata, but the newest and final Lotus ICE is very tempting. The styling is a home run. (I’m going to indulgently keep a manual ICE sports car around for an occasional nostalgic drive).

Btw, I agree the new VW ID4 is a nice looking vehicle, and they haven’t gone overboard on the power & performance (a good thing for a daily driver, imo).
    Battery and T free cyclist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marvinlungwitz View Post

I wasn’t planning on replacing the Miata, but the newest and final Lotus ICE is very tempting. The styling is a home run. (I’m going to indulgently keep a manual ICE sports car around for an occasional nostalgic drive).

Btw, I agree the new VW ID4 is a nice looking vehicle, and they haven’t gone overboard on the power & performance (a good thing for a daily driver, imo).
    I want a Porsche 718 of some sort in the worst way. I hope they still make them when I'm able to make it happen. The windows in my house this spring put an end to thoughts of a new sports car this year.

Definitely a manual.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 09-04-2022 at 03:27 PM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I want a Porsche 718 of some sort in the worst way. I hope they still make them when I'm able to make it happen. The windows in my house this spring put an end to thoughts of a new sports car this year.

Definitely a manual.
    I continue to waffle between getting a nicer second car or adding a true toy, and Miata or Boxster would be the ticket. There’s a 2000 Boxster with low miles at the high end used dealer in town, six speed manual, for a very reasonable price. I see it parked on the back of the lot every time I bike by there. The 718s are even cooler but command a pretty penny these days.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I continue to waffle between getting a nicer second car or adding a true toy, and Miata or Boxster would be the ticket. There’s a 2000 Boxster with low miles at the high end used dealer in town, six speed manual, for a very reasonable price. I see it parked on the back of the lot every time I bike by there. The 718s are even cooler but command a pretty penny these days.
    Miata is the logical choice. I’ve owned one and it was a blast. But I also owned a GTI and see a VW Group product as the logical successor to graduate into.

At any rate, neither is possible at the moment. Tightening the belt for the remainder of 2022 at least. Dealing with necessary home issues and an EV on the way as a daily driver. A few too many irons in the fire at the moment to think of a Porsche allocation. I’ll revisit this in 2023.
    La Cheeserie!

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are sublime. I bought a 2018 Cayman S as a starter Porsche and have not felt the need to upgrade - four and a half years and 32k miles in. It is a beast on the track and a joy on the road and unexpectedly has held close to 100% of its value. They are going EV for MY 24 or 25. Allocations are very difficult to get for any of the Porsche sports cars these days and impossible to get for the GT cars.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So drive everyone everywhere around town
    there should be a shift towards selling electric cars to city dwellers
    This is so wrong.

An EV in a city is still a car. An ugly thing that ruin the city, waste space, create traffic jams and kill people. They have no place in a city.

PARK THE CAR

Stuart Rowley – President, Ford of Europe
    MAY 10, 2022

Every day I am reminded how lucky I am to work in an industry for which there is so much passion for our products. I have loved cars since I was a child and as an adult I can recall the models – even the numberplates – of the cars that have underpinned life’s milestones.

But while Ford is working to ensure every person is free to move and pursue their dreams, we are also committed to building a better world, one for which it is crucial that we both look after the planet and each other.

We are already working hard to bring about the electrification revolution – targeting 600,000 all-electric vehicle sales by 2026. By 2035, we will achieve zero emissions for all vehicle sales and carbon neutrality across our European footprint of facilities, logistics and suppliers.

But there is something else we can all do, right now. Park the car.

‘Park the Car’ is a new initiative from Ford that launches today. It is probably the last thing many people would expect from an auto maker. However, driving responsibly is no longer just about safety. It’s also about caring for our environment and our health – and walking or cycling once a day, active travel, can bring about significant change.

According to the World Health Organization, half of European car journeys are less than 5 km and – especially in cities – these are often the kind of trips that could easily be made by bike or on foot1.

Walking or cycling instead of driving just once a day could reduce personal daily carbon footprints by up to 84 per cent2. This in turn could support an 8 per cent reduction in carbon emissions by cars – and help point towards a greener future for everyone3.

The advent of the electrified vehicle will certainly help. But as Ford Executive Chair Bill Ford pointed out as long ago as 2011, “a traffic jam with no emissions is still a traffic jam”4. The average person spends up to 36 hours a year in urban gridlock and parking the car – when it comes to short urban trips – will go some way towards helping ease that congestion5.

We know that for some people travelling by car, even for short distances, is an absolute necessity. But for many of us, myself included, it is a habit we must change. I am committed to doing exactly that and I hope that many of you will join me as I walk or cycle more in my daily life.

It’s essential for our own wellbeing, as well as that of the planet. Most adults in Europe are overweight6 – and just 30 minutes of walking or cycling can help us live a healthier, longer life7.

‘Park the Car’ will be integrated within our global young driver training programme ‘Driving Skills for Life’ that since its launch in Europe nine years ago has provided hands-on learning to more than 38,000 people.

We will announce further plans in the coming weeks and months as regards extending the campaign among our employees and to communities in Europe where Ford has a significant presence. This will mean supporting and investing in schemes that encourage active travel.

We are confident this is an opportunity that people will embrace. A recent study we commissioned showed that more than a third of Europeans would be willing to use their car less to help combat climate change.

I know that together we can help create healthier streets, healthier lives and a greener future and over the next 12 months, ‘Park the Car’ will target 1 million ‘journey swaps’ across Europe.

Getting where you need to go shouldn’t cost the Earth.

[url]https://www.ford.co.uk/experience-ford/news/new-initiative-park-the-car
    This is most probably a lot of greenwashing from Ford, yet the word are good. I can't believe I can still read in 2022, in a cycling forum, people suggesting using a car to go around cities. This is baffling.

And yes I know US cities aren't as ready as some euro cities but it is the responsability of everyone to make sure the situation improves, not degrades. By advocating, stopping the cars, electing the right persons, participating in urban planning.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 09-05-2022 at 10:18 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    This is so wrong.

An EV in a city is still a car. An ugly thing that ruin the city, waste space, create traffic jams and kill people. They have no place in a city.

Good luck. Europe is different than the US. European countries can make national decisions to incorporate country-wide mass transit efforts and integrate urban systems into regional connectors etc. Hell, you guys can even stitch together super-fast rail lines that make breakfast in London and lunch in Brussels possible. Here is the US, we can't even run a fcking railroad that should make NYC to Washington DC a cakewalk. Federal versus state, local versus national, taxes versus no taxes, petro-dollars/car industry versus conservation, sharing versus fck you, and beneath it all a history of racism and inner city impoverishment and suburban fear and etc. etc. etc.

But yeah, in an ideal world, urban areas should substantially reduce the number of private cars on the street.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck. Europe is different than the US. European countries can make national decisions to incorporate country-wide mass transit efforts and integrate urban systems into regional connectors etc. Hell, you guys can even stitch together super-fast rail lines that make breakfast in London and lunch in Brussels possible. Here is the US, we can't even run a fcking railroad that should make NYC to Washington DC a cakewalk. Federal versus state, local versus national, taxes versus no taxes, petro-dollars/car industry versus conservation, sharing versus fck you, and beneath it all a history of racism and inner city impoverishment and suburban fear and etc. etc. etc.

But yeah, in an ideal world, urban areas should substantially reduce the number of private cars on the street.
    But is resignation the solution?

I thought it was a french thing! ;-)
    Last edited by sk_tle; 09-05-2022 at 10:58 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You obviously haven't taken a English train in awhile.... Next week we have another strike on Thursday and Saturday....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    But is resignation the solution?

I thought it was a french thing! ;-)
    Keep the regulatory pressure on, advance by attainable steps and be lightning quick to take opportunities for productive leaps when they present themselves. All these changes make rational sense to everyone, except on an individual level. The world should reduce car traffic in major metropolitan areas, but individuals set records in New York City for new cars added over the last couple years. The parking garage where I used to park our car tripled their monthly rates (from $500/month to $1500/month) and there is still a waiting list.

I was in Paris during one of the heatwaves (40C!), and there are still quite few buildings without AC. Lots of people out walking around though. We sweat through a really excellent dinner, but then everyone in the restaurant was sweating. Then we all walked home afterwards, sweating while eating ice cream from a sidewalk-side kiosk. One day the French will save us all.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    You obviously haven't taken a English train in awhile.... Next week we have another strike on Thursday and Saturday....
    Right - I thought about that as I was typing L-o-n-....

When we lived in Prague, there was a return flight from the US that we'd try to avoid. It arrived at CDG around 11AM and the Prague flight left around 1PM. You could almost guarantee that there would be a 2 hour strike by baggage handlers at CDG and your bags wouldn't make it to Prague.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right - I thought about that as I was typing L-o-n-....

When we lived in Prague, there was a return flight from the US that we'd try to avoid. It arrived at CDG around 11AM and the Prague flight left around 1PM. You could almost guarantee that there would be a 2 hour strike by baggage handlers at CDG and your bags wouldn't make it to Prague.
    Because of demand pricing, the Eurostar is pretty darn expensive during peak season. My wife and I thought about a quick trip to Paris this weekend and were surprised by the prices. We will wait until late October when Eurostar prices fall by 75% and hotel prices fall by 30%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double post, sorry.
    Battery and T free cyclist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged