Likes Likes:  0

Thread: shrimp and grits

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default shrimp and grits

shrimp season in SC lasts 8 weeks. took thursday off to catch a few and while it was slow we finished with about 5 pounds of large, clean shrimp. back at the house a few hours later it was time for shrimp and grits. white corn grits made with cream and milk. shrimp and grits started with bacon including white onion, garlic, green pepper, green onion spiced with red, white and black peppers, oregano, thyme and bay leaves. the taste of the shrimp which were swimming in clean, salt water just hours earlier is so much different and better than their previously frozen cousins.

also new bike for the weekend......good set of days. mike

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: shrimp and grits

Now I'm hungry. Great looking dish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mmmmmm Shramp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you meant to say that you were cast netting river crickets, no?

Nice work man.

Quote Originally Posted by miksibis View Post
    the taste of the shrimp which were swimming in clean, salt water just hours earlier is so much different and better than their previously frozen cousins.
    Can not agree more. A fresh, raw, unfrozen, recently caught shrimp is a true delicacy.

I miss my ten foot Calusa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are my new hero. That's a mean looking plate sir. Fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yum. I ate shrimp and grits (with pork belly!) twice at the Glass Onion last time I visited. Can you share your recipe? I can't get any reliable recipes out of my family - they tend to leave out ingredients or add a cup of salt to throw me off the trail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 thick slices bacon, diced
    1 green pepper, small dice
    1 white or yellow onion, small dice
    1 tbsp chopped garlic
    1 small bunch green onion, thin sliced
    2 lbs shrimp
    chicken stock (preferably shrimp stock made with the heads, shells, onion, celery)
    flour
    butter
    1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp white pepper, 1/2 tsp red pepper, 1 tsp salt (if not using chicken stock), 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp thyme
    in a heavy cast iron, or aluminum pan cook bacon until it is 75% finished (brown but not breaking apart). add white onion and green pepper. cook until bacon is rendered and done (brown) and vegetables translucent. bottom of pan should be dark brown from the sugars in the bacon and onion but not burned. depending on amount of fat rendered add 1/4 cup butter to pan. add spices. add equal amount of flour to make a roux (about 6 tbsp). cook until light brown stirring constantly. add stock to roux stirring constantly until you get the consistency of gravy that you want. finish with the green onions. when ready to plate add the peeled shrimp and poach in the hot gravy until cooked through. do not overcook shrimp and make them rubbery.

grits are white corn grits. 1 cup heavy cream, 3 cups skim milk. bring milk to a simmer and whisk in 1 cup of grits slowly while stirring. reduce heat to simmer and cook until done stirring every few minutes. check to see if you have to add small amounts of milk to get the consistency right while cooking. i serve them slightly thicker for this dish as the gravy thins them in the bowl than i would for a breakfast dish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is happening at my house soon. Sounds spectacular.