User Tag List

Thread: Closet door repair

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Closet door repair

One of our bi-fold bedroom closet doors has been falling out of its track, and I'm trying to figure out if/how I can repair it. I determined that the problem is coming from the hole at the bottom of the door into which the vertical/height-adjustment bolt screws. The threads in the door have been stripped enough such that the bolt needs to be screwed in very far to be secure, but that shortens the effective height of the door so much that it won't stay in the top track.

I imagine I could fill the hole with some sort of wood epoxy, but am not sure how I'd re-thread the filled-in spot for the bolt. Is there a better way? This does not have to be a perfect, 10-year solution, just something to get the door back in action.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Closet door repair

you might try some steel wool in the hole, sometimes it will help or a bolt that is one size larger in diameter.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've had luck with filling a hole with wood glue and wooden toothpicks jammed/hammered in. when dry, trim it off flush and drill a pilot hole a little smaller than the bolt/screw. when rethreaded, the bolt/screw should follow the pilot hole. done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're going to tap new threads.

I'm assuming the threaded piece is threaded directly into wood.

You can buy wooden dowels from the hardware store.

Drill the hole to a size that permits the wooden dowel to be press-fit into the hole. Consider drilling the hole oversize rather than as near to the original as possible because ideally the threaded rod would thread into the dowel with some dowel diameter to spare.

Press fit the dowel into the hole. Use wood glue to ensure a secure fit.

Then Google "tapping threads in wood".

I've also seen metal nuts that press fit directly into wood. If you had the patience to file the hole to hold the nut.

You could also try a Captive nut or Tee Nut. See McMaster-Carr for examples. They may be available at your hardware store.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are awesome, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry, late to the game here but this problem is really what golf tees were invented for. Little glue, little golf tee, little hammer action, little razor knife scoring, more hammer action, some screwing and then 3 or 4 dry runs to figure out how to hold your tongue just right to get the door back in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Polack View Post
    You could also try a Captive nut or Tee Nut. See McMaster-Carr for examples. They may be available at your hardware store.
    This. If the hole is too large for the Tee Nut, epoxy it in. The threads should be unaffected.

Had the top of the door been the issue I'd recommend finding a tri-roller track that traps the wheels. They never jump off. I wouldn't hang a bi-fold with anything less because callbacks suck.
    Erik Suttles

20%er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update: I solved the problem with a $0.25 tee nut and 30 seconds of labor. The hole was just small enough for it to seat properly.

Thanks again to all for your advice!