User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 36 of 94 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    As I approach the milepost of being vaccinated after a year of anticipation I find my point of view shifting along these lines:

I worked with an organization years ago headed by a person of singular distinction. One day, laboring in the trenches with another grunt many years my senior he allowed, "they say Alan is a genius, but I bet if he was on a fence and there was a fire on one side he would not know which side to get off on."

All too many people I know are faced with a conundrum that to me has an obvious solution, and we are at a huge inflection point. Hobson's choice, Pascal's wager, Just Do It- whatever works.

We will see how this plays out, but I am glad to be vaccinated, come what may.
    The NYT newsbrief this morning's little piece comes to mind...

A fable for our times
    Guido Calabresi, a federal judge and Yale law professor, invented a little fable that he has been telling law students for more than three decades.

He tells the students to imagine a god coming forth to offer society a wondrous invention that would improve everyday life in almost every way. It would allow people to spend more time with friends and family, see new places and do jobs they otherwise could not do. But it would also come with a high cost. In exchange for bestowing this invention on society, the god would choose 1,000 young men and women and strike them dead.

Calabresi then asks: Would you take the deal? Almost invariably, the students say no. The professor then delivers the fable’s lesson: “What’s the difference between this and the automobile?”

In truth, automobiles kill many more than 1,000 young Americans each year; the total U.S. death toll hovers at about 40,000 annually. We accept this toll, almost unthinkingly, because vehicle crashes have always been part of our lives. We can’t fathom a world without them.

It’s a classic example of human irrationality about risk. We often underestimate large, chronic dangers, like car crashes or chemical pollution, and fixate on tiny but salient risks, like plane crashes or shark attacks.

One way for a risk to become salient is for it to be new. That’s a core idea behind Calabresi’s fable. He asks students to consider whether they would accept the cost of vehicle travel if it did not already exist. That they say no underscores the very different ways we treat new risks and enduring ones.

I have been thinking about the fable recently because of Covid-19. Covid certainly presents a salient risk: It’s a global pandemic that has upended daily life for more than a year. It has changed how we live, where we work, even what we wear on our faces. Covid feels ubiquitous.

Fortunately, it is also curable. The vaccines have nearly eliminated death, hospitalization and other serious Covid illness among people who have received shots. The vaccines have also radically reduced the chances that people contract even a mild version of Covid or can pass it on to others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    You forgot to mention that Claudia feels fine.

SPP
    Yes, she is fine. Already done pilates and now taking her French lessons. She says she is at 80% but that's 110% for most humans.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Checking in: I had my second dose of Pfizer five days ago. The only noticeable side effect was a sore arm for a day or two.

So glad that science, medicine, and public health have stepped in to save the world from itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My neighbor, 50's and male, had the JnJ vax with a reaction equal to the second shingles vax I had, but after a day he was fine.

As for the world: my cousin lives in Haiti and he says the wheels are coming off. Given the baseline in that country, I can't imagine...
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the state opening up eligibility my wife and I both got appointments for tomorrow afternoon to receive the Pfizer vaccine at our Walgreens (because the other option was Bi-Mart and you couldn't pay me enough to get a needle stuck in me at our local Bi-Mart...). I've been so isolated living out here that I haven't given myself the freedom to feel anything much about getting or not getting vaccinated, but getting the "you're qualified" email and getting an appointment this morning had me on the verge of tears.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine on Wed. I felt pretty run down Wed evening and into Thursday and had lingering fatigue into the weekend...but on Sunday despite not feeling great I was able to set a bunch of PRs on the local 25 mile mtb loop. My moving time on the loop (stopped a couple times for my friends mechanicals) was 10 minutes faster than two weeks ago when I only had dose 1 and 20 minutes faster than last month when I was unvaccinated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ make sure that you had the C19 vaccine and not the testostarinne...
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just got my last shot on sunday, no reactions other than a sore arm, did have to go to the bathroom twice today but that could be anything. no fever , no chills , no headache. Glad its over -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was curious why companies aren't requiring workers to get vaccinated. according to what i googled they can't because the vaccine is only approved under eua, so eventually companies may -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm two weeks past second Moderna shot and I had more (still small) trouble after the 1st shot. My wife Shannon was pretty tired and feeling feverish after #2 but all is just fine now. Glad it is over (waiting for the shots) and now hopeful that we will convince enough of the reluctant folks to join in on the solution.
    When you get thirsty, remember- Four out of Five Great Lakes Prefer Michigan

DJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    As for the world: my cousin lives in Haiti and he says the wheels are coming off. Given the baseline in that country, I can't imagine...
    The vaccines are coming. A couple of folks at UT-Austin came up with a method for producing Covid vaccine in existing flu vaccine facilities on the cheap. And then they gave the technology away to low and middle income countries.

The story: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/05/h...n-vaccine.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't read that NYT article, but that is cool to hear and hope it can sail through any regulatory requirements. Really tough for so many areas around the globe where time = death as they wait for vaccines

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    i was curious why companies aren't requiring workers to get vaccinated. according to what i googled they can't because the vaccine is only approved under eua, so eventually companies may -Mike G
    What to do when the most valuable ee (to the company bottom line) refuses to get the jab? It’s complicated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations Jay. This is a relief.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    What to do when the most valuable ee (to the company bottom line) refuses to get the jab? It’s complicated.
    As I mentioned a few pages back, you do the same as if you owned a restaurant and your chef decided that washing hands was a personal choice and the restaurant owner had no right to ask staff if they had hepatitis.

Put yourself in the shoes of the restaurant customer. One option is for the restaurant owner to say, "Sure, no problem. The personal thoughts and beliefs of one employee should dictate to all the other employees and to the customers. We will all abide by one person's wishes." Or would you prefer the other option for responding to the chef?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd dose yesterday.

I feel like i went to the gym for the first time ever and then attended a frat party afterward.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    2nd dose yesterday.

I feel like i went to the gym for the first time ever and then attended a frat party afterward.
    Youch. Hope it passes quickly.
    Solitudinally challenged

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
    As I mentioned a few pages back, you do the same as if you owned a restaurant and your chef decided that washing hands was a personal choice and the restaurant owner had no right to ask staff if they had hepatitis.

Put yourself in the shoes of the restaurant customer. One option is for the restaurant owner to say, "Sure, no problem. The personal thoughts and beliefs of one employee should dictate to all the other employees and to the customers. We will all abide by one person's wishes." Or would you prefer the other option for responding to the chef?
    We had a shot clinic at work but had poor turnout. We invited all the other employers in the industrial park to make sure no vaccine went to waste. The company is looking at reaching a certain percentage of vaccinated employees to stop wearing masks. States can make laws that release companies that make good faith efforts from responsibility when someone gets infected on the job. The problem with that approach is that OSHA has not made a ruling, so most companies will continue with masks and other PPE. The question the employee asks is this, "if I still have to wear a mask, why should I get the shot?" In the current labor market, we can't fire employees because we won't find replacements. With the stimulus, folks just aren't heading back to work in large numbers.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post

My company just asks i you are scheduled or need help, not really a 3rd choice,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found a place to get my 16-year-old's first shot, and I'm using the drive as an excuse to get mine as well.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast