Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

Page 138 of 352 FirstFirst ... 128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,760 of 7026

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Mine was the poorman's version, a 210 2 door wagon. Parts were easy. That is a monster. There are hundreds and hundreds of very hard to find trim pieces. My hat is off to anyone with the stamina to fully restore a Nomad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Mine was the poorman's version, a 210 2 door wagon. Parts were easy. That is a monster. There are hundreds and hundreds of very hard to find trim pieces. My hat is off to anyone with the stamina to fully restore a Nomad.
    Chip Foose, Jay Leno, and a Nomad for a friend

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quite nice when you have world class wrenches do the deed. I ran my 210 for many years on a nicely warmed over 350. Folks might remember it at DBRKs Fingerlakes event? The plan was to find a 427 and build it to about 400 HP. These wagons drive nice great with huuuuge motors ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Will it be sold in the US? Looks like a UK site...

US bound for sure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Trump wipes out clean emissions standards for autos like he has promised, what does that mean for VW's Diesel engine? Can they then sell off all those new but (formerly) unsellable TDI's they have stashed somewhere? Will VW stop paying out cash to customers since their cars are now potentially legal to drive in the US again, i.e. have not lost any value for resale? He is supposed to take the standards way back to levels not seen in quite a while. I realize that the criminal aspect of the fraud will likely stand, but if the cars are suddenly compliant with this new "edit" of governmental emissions standards, are they still undriveable?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    If Trump wipes out clean emissions standards for autos like he has promised, what does that mean for VW's Diesel engine? Can they then sell off all those new but (formerly) unsellable TDI's they have stashed somewhere? Will VW stop paying out cash to customers since their cars are now potentially legal to drive in the US again, i.e. have not lost any value for resale? He is supposed to take the standards way back to levels not seen in quite a while. I realize that the criminal aspect of the fraud will likely stand, but if the cars are suddenly compliant with this new "edit" of governmental emissions standards, are they still undriveable?
    If the cheaters were 'Murican, maybe. But layer on the Trumpist protectionism, and there is no way these autos become compliant again now or anytime soon.

We've pushed back our sell-back date a handful of times now. No rush, really. My wife is a blank slate as far as her preferred replacement. Must be European and the size of our wagon or smaller. (My only added qualifier is not RWD.) At $20K, that leaves lots of options. A Quattro TT may be in the cards.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    There are multiple parts to your question. As an environmental lawyer, my guess is it is remotely possible Pruitt/Trump may allow some of the cars back on the road but I don't expect there will be any impact on the consumer claims. Here's why.

You have the clean air act in effect that must be enforced by EPA and state agencies. You have court decisions interpreting the CAA that will stand. EPA does draft administrative rules and those can be rolled back although this is not a simple or rapid process. These rollbacks can impact court decisions interpreting former rules. The clean air act has citizen suit provisions that allow private citizens to enforce statutory and regulatory provisions. This interrelation is complex.

Re the specific questions, there is a class action settlement in place. The putative plaintiffs are owners, EPA (which enforces the CAA) , and the FTC (which enforces consumer laws). The settlement is embodied in, I believe, a consent decree. The CD was subject to notice and is now final. It would be difficult to reopen this matter. Remember, there are consumer claims embodied in the settlement with regard to the direct owner class claims as well as the FTC claims. The EPA claims re harm to the environment are only one piece of the lawsuit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone here yet get hands-on experience with the Ford Focus RS? or the alfa giulia quadrifoglio? both intrigue. no seat time yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Badonkadonk View Post
    anyone here yet get hands-on experience with the Ford Focus RS? or the alfa giulia quadrifoglio? both intrigue. no seat time yet.
    A good friend had a Focus RS for 3 months, but sold it saying it was too 'over engineered' and that you had to drive outrageously fast (on UK roads) to get it to dance. He's a pretty fussy and very advanced driver and has owned everything from Caterhams/Lotus/911/S2000/Mitsubishi Evos etc etc so I rate his opinion. His current favourite is the fiesta ST which he says is a much better pure drivers car. I had a go in his RS (literally just 10 mins) and it seemed pretty rapid, although I think it really needs some track time to get the most out of it.

My next door neighbour owns several car dealerships in the UK including some Alfa ones. He has regular access to a 4C, and when I see him come home in a QF I'll know that they are now widely available in the UK. Maybe you'll get them sooner (I'm assuming you're in the US)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm digging my 6 speed Golf R. It's a nice compromise between performance and real world practicability. I haven't driven an RS but my impression is its like my old EVO, very fast and focused but not much fun to just drive around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Badonkadonk View Post
    A guy in the St Louis Alfa club (I'm a member) recently bought a Giulia and drove it to last month's meeting, but it isn't the Quadrifoglio. I didn't ask if that was an option.

It's an awesome car, but personally, I thought the automatically extending and retracting exterior rear-view mirrors were a bit much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    "...I'm digging my 6 speed Golf R. It's a nice compromise between performance and real world practicability. I haven't driven an RS but my impression is its like my old EVO, very fast and focused but not much fun to just drive around..."
    Exactly. A new Volkswagen Golf R will be on my future shopping list.
    I also like that it comes *without* a sunroof to further boost torsional rigidity.
    Oh, and congratulations on your 1900th post. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Car & Driver loved the Alfa Gulia Quadrifoglio, despite electrical gremlins that, after being foolish enough to use the remote-start feature, required an OBD II reboot.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    Exactly. A new Volkswagen Golf R will be on my future shopping list.
    I also like that it comes *without* a sunroof to further boost torsional rigidity.
    Oh, and congratulations on your 1900th post. :-)
    Greater headroom as well. When I bought my GTI 11 years ago I specifically wanted one without a sunroof. First, I don't like them. If I want sunshine I want a real convertible like my old Miata. Second, they create a headroom issue. Finally, as you mentioned, they compromise rigidity.

I don't know if I'll get another GTI. I looked at them recently and there doesn't seem to be enough reason to trade in my current one for a new one.

It's tempting just for the 4-door version that's offered now. But I'm ready for something different and more boring. I'm kind of tired of the jarring ride. That said, it's going to be difficult to find something with satisfying steering precision. The GTI spoils the driver who likes road feel and precision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Car & Driver loved the Alfa Gulia Quadrifoglio, despite electrical gremlins that, after being foolish enough to use the remote-start feature, required an OBD II reboot.
    all the passion of an italian car, the fun of an italian car, the joyful reliability of the italian car
    seems like a no-brainer to me

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    I'm digging my 6 speed Golf R. It's a nice compromise between performance and real world practicability. I haven't driven an RS but my impression is its like my old EVO, very fast and focused but not much fun to just drive around.
    I purchased a Golf R to replace my Golf TDI. And while I very much like the Golf R, I would say that it's at its best in 3rd gear on open back roads where you go from 35 MPH to 75 MPH in the blink of an eye. Around town, it's fine but not really at its peak. The car I thought was the most fun for 'around town driving' was the Mini Cooper S ... great low end tongue and very linear (BMW esc) engine feel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    "... great low end tongue and very linear..."
    People have been saying that about their husbands, wives, boyfriends, and girlfriends for years!
    This is certainly a first in this type of discussion arena. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that much more is possible, but I just picked up a minty 2009 E91 328i Touring three weeks ago and can't imagine needing a ton more in any way. My entire vehicle was probably less that the carbon ceramic brake upcharge on the new Panamera.

IMG_1989.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I purchased a Golf R to replace my Golf TDI. And while I very much like the Golf R, I would say that it's at its best in 3rd gear on open back roads where you go from 35 MPH to 75 MPH in the blink of an eye. Around town, it's fine but not really at its peak. The car I thought was the most fun for 'around town driving' was the Mini Cooper S ... great low end tongue and very linear (BMW esc) engine feel.
    I keep circling on what to get for my next car and I'm slowly coming around to the idea of another Mini Cooper S. Maybe even a JCW in the hopes that it has even more low end tongue.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great low end tongue and very linear (BMW esc) engine feel.
    The irony is the EP/Prince engine used in the mini (and now the 1 and 3 series) is supplied by PSA (Peugeot-Citroen). To be honest the development of the engine is done as a partnership so they both has a say on the specs and engineers from both firms worked on it hence the bmw character. First "new mini" engine was a chrysler for the record.
    --
    T h o m a s