User Tag List

Thread: Bob Knight: 2001 Playboy Interview

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bob Knight: 2001 Playboy Interview

Outstanding read, the whole interview is on fire!

On the Road With America's Angriest Man. An Interview With Bobby Knight

Was just talking with a buddy about why he's not coaching somewhere. He makes some excellent points.

I think the people side changed too much. Too many spoiled kids. Too much focus on recruiting one and dones, beholden to AAU coaches... a bunch of stuff he couldn't keep up with. Coaching basketball there's probably no one better, but the other parts of the job left him behind or more accurately he didn't want to play the game.

Texas Tech. I think his record was pretty good, but he passed the job on to his son by design.

Gary Williams is exactly the same story. Unbelievable coach. Just couldn't take playing that game anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bob Knight: 2001 Playboy Interview

There are plenty of outstanding coaches who get results without abuse. Popovich and Kerr seem to have no trouble with people or results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't like him at first but the more I've gotten to know Knight the more I respect him as a coach.

Sure he's got a hot temper and can go loose cannon but on the court he was a winner.

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 6.25.42 PM.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A collegiate D1 coach that throws a chair on the court is unacceptable, regardless of the times. Many more examples of his antics but that one sticks in my mind.

Nebraska's Pelini had similar issues, only he didn't win enough to justify it. There's no place for that behavior. I'm all for hard nosed no bullshit coaches holding high standards, but Knight was a dickhead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knight knew so much about basketball. It's clear if you watch his instructional videos or read his books on things like individual and team defense (I think the instructional books are out of print). I think it's actually a shame that he didn't have the results he could have because he didn't know how to coach effectively. You don't have to be a nice person, but you can't coach through fear and expect consistent positive results. We actually have the brain science now that backs that up.

The most effective coach I have ever known, I have never seen shout at anyone, ever. Not in the classes he taught, not in the weight room, not at practice, and not at games. I don't think anyone would call him a "nice guy", but players would do anything for the guy, and he knew not to abuse their trust. It was good enough to win 93% of the games over 33 years. Watching coach Lad work and how he built structures of trust, respect, and responsibility has greatly influenced how I coach and work with kids.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A first rate basketball mind paired with a first rate bully.

How much is it "He doesn't want to find work" and how much is "No one wants to send their kids to play for an autocratic lunatic who might physically abuse them?"