Thread: Brass or silver brazing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Brass or silver brazing?

Hi,

first post here from someone who is starting his first frame. I'm in Brazil, so there is almost zero framebuilding culture here. Everything I've learned so far has been from the internet or by trial and error. So I'll ask, why people everywhere say silver brazing is better? I've been practicing with brass only, and I think I'm getting good results. Joints seems pretty strong and I don't think I've overheated much.

The problem with silver is the cost. I can get my hands on 1kg of brass for $43 while silver goes as much as $900/kg here. Also, I've worked only on mild steel (sae 1010 for practice) and some 4130. Steel prices here are also prohibitive, mainly because of import taxes (imagine paying some extra 100% on tubes from abroad, plus courier services).

Also also, for brazing stainless steel like 304 or 316, do I need to use silver? I know tig welding would be better, but I don't know how to do it. I know too that you guys will probably find that it's not the best for bicycle tubing, but it's what I can get my hands on relatively easy and cheap.

That's it for now. Any help will be much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Brass or silver brazing?

I wouldn't worry about using brass. Most of the bike making world uses brass. It's primarily Americans that tout silver but we're all a little crazy. Regarding stainless,
    brass will not stick to stainless. Nickel silver sticks to it so that might be a cheaper route for you than silver. Good luck and keep practicing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Brass or silver brazing?

What he said. I mostly use brass. If you are trying to do stainless lugs with nickel silver you may find the ease of 56% worth the additional expense, but for most other situations brass rod will work quite well.

Try different combinations, and when possible try to use what works best for you.