User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 81 of 94 FirstFirst ... 717273747576777879808182838485868788899091 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 1861

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    My pulmonologist bud is all about the flu shot and the booster and he likes to see a 2-week separation between these shots. I had the 2 Moderna jabs so I have to wait until their booster is approved and as soon as it is, I'll be in line.
    I'm in the same boat. I'm getting my flu shot on Saturday, but my Covid was Moderna so I'm following the news on a booster. I have no issues whatsoever in getting the booster as soon as it's available.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    It really is fascinating that people who work in a healthcare setting would (a) refuse the vax; and (b) would rather lose their jobs than just comply. Amazing really.
    The (a) of that is really what boggles the mind from my end. The (b) could have to do with the mandate itself more than the vaccine. I'd be interested in knowing how many people are quitting and vaccinated.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been trying to come up with a drug that I could invest in and then advocate as a cure for covid. Ivermectin seems like such a perfect pick. Whoever came up with that was really thinking. It has the right combination of desperation and humiliation plus back alley drug dealing.

Bayer baby aspirin - the chewable orange flavored kind - was all I could come up with but that just isn't as good as horse dewormer.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I've been trying to come up with a drug that I could invest in and then advocate as a cure for covid. Ivermectin seems like such a perfect pick. Whoever came up with that was really thinking. It has the right combination of desperation and humiliation plus back alley drug dealing.

Bayer baby aspirin - the chewable orange flavored kind - was all I could come up with but that just isn't as good as horse dewormer.
    ivermectin is used in people all over the world...it's great at killing parasites. I just don't understand the selective skepticism in a certain segment of the population. They won't trust the CDC that the disease is real or that the vaccines are effective at reducing transmission rates and severity of illness, but they will trust random websites pitching antibiotics (z-pack), antimalarials (hydroxychloroquine), nutritional supplements (zinc!), or antiparasitics to treat a viral disease...

but the grift game here is pretty strong. the move isn't so much that they make money on selling the drug itself. ivermectin is relatively cheap and readily available. the move is to introduce misinformation into the world of "skeptics" that says "don't trust the CDC. ivermectin is the real cure that THE GOVERNMENT doesn't want you to know about. your doctor won't prescribe this but if you call this number for a consult our independent experts will set you up." The consult fee is $90-100 and that gets the skeptic a perscription they can get filled anywhere. It's not all that different from some of the pain management scams of a decade ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
    Likely? Less time? Science?
    That's how science works. Love it or hate it, that's how our civilization and culture was built, brick by tested and refined brick.

Could the public health messaging be better? Of course. But that effort is up against a 24/7 news cycle, social media platforms, arm-chair experts, disinformation campaigns, and a generally skeptical and critical-thinking challenged populous. If we were back in the '50s/'60s, the narrative would be much easier to control and release in a methodical, comforting way. Cronkite would come on and tell us what needed to be known, the President would act Presidential, and we'd largely do our civic duty based on what is best according to the bell-curve without the existential dread of outlier-responses. That's a double-edged sword of course - just saying that we live in anxious times and being bombarded by information can be counter-productive when measures need to be taken that ignore outliers to do the right thing for society in utilitarian terms.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And putting the microchips in the ivermectin was a stroke of genius!
    It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    It really is fascinating that people who work in a healthcare setting would (a) refuse the vax; and (b) would rather lose their jobs than just comply. Amazing really.
    Quite a few !

Mrs's dept. will be down 10 nurses next month - you can always quit and pick up a traveler nurse job with a huge sign on bonus in say, Idaho or Wyoming as many are

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Quite a few !

Mrs's dept. will be down 10 nurses next month - you can always quit and pick up a traveler nurse job with a huge sign on bonus in say, Idaho or Wyoming as many are

- Garro.
    This is happening here in CNY too. Many nurses refusing to get vaccinated. Why would you go into a science-based career if you don't believe in science? Makes as much sense as the doctors who are prescribing ivermectin. I guess someone has to graduate last in their nursing/med school classes...

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    ivermectin is used in people all over the world...it's great at killing parasites. I just don't understand the selective skepticism in a certain segment of the population. They won't trust the CDC that the disease is real or that the vaccines are effective at reducing transmission rates and severity of illness, but they will trust random websites pitching antibiotics (z-pack), antimalarials (hydroxychloroquine), nutritional supplements (zinc!), or antiparasitics to treat a viral disease...

but the grift game here is pretty strong. the move isn't so much that they make money on selling the drug itself. ivermectin is relatively cheap and readily available. the move is to introduce misinformation into the world of "skeptics" that says "don't trust the CDC. ivermectin is the real cure that THE GOVERNMENT doesn't want you to know about. your doctor won't prescribe this but if you call this number for a consult our independent experts will set you up." The consult fee is $90-100 and that gets the skeptic a perscription they can get filled anywhere. It's not all that different from some of the pain management scams of a decade ago.
    I just remember ivermectin from when I worked at a vet clinic that had a large animal practice. I used to go with the horse vet as his assistant and ivermectin was very often part of our day's work. I've heard now from two reputable sources that they've treated people who have been taking veterinary - i.e. horse dewormer - preps of ivermectin and have gotten themselves pretty sick doing it. People with advanced degrees and money and all of the benchmarks that are supposed to make them smarter than well, everyone.

Who is the evil genius who came up with this? I just make jokes about this sort of thing, but out there is someone who is actually doing something, taking action and changing the world late one night by typing the words "Worried about covid? Try ivermectin..." into some social media outlet somewhere. And they have to be making money right? Because if it is only disinformation, what's the point? Oh sure, disinformation ruins democracy, but can you make bank? And the Nobel Prize in Medicine goes to....

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg View Post
    And putting the microchips in the ivermectin was a stroke of genius!
    I know, right? It is the gift that keeps on giving.
    Last edited by j44ke; 10-14-2021 at 08:00 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been trying to come up with a drug that I could invest in and then advocate as a cure for covid.[snip]
    Bring back an oldie but goodie.....
    Laetrile, the miracle cancer cure of 1970s.

Comes with a preexisting package of conspiracy theories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    The (a) of that is really what boggles the mind from my end. The (b) could have to do with the mandate itself more than the vaccine. I'd be interested in knowing how many people are quitting and vaccinated.
    I saw a tweet from Michael Eisen that summed it up to me…”because of vaccine mandates we are losing teachers who don’t believe in science, healthcare workers who don’t believe in medicine, and police who don’t believe in public safety…”
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    I saw a tweet from Michael Eisen that summed it up to me…”because of vaccine mandates we are losing teachers who don’t believe in science, healthcare workers who don’t believe in medicine, and police who don’t believe in public safety…”
    Put like that, it sounds like a good thing. It's hard to legally get rid of imposters in many instances.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    Why would you go into a science-based career if you don't believe in science?
    Greg
    Good pay, healthcare and flexible hours.

One co-worker quote was "Why should I when all you guys have?"

Yep...........

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    One co-worker quote was "Why should I when all you guys have?"
    There's the rub, eh? It's an attitude I never really encountered living on the other side of the ocean, but highly prevalent in the US (even more pronounced in "LIBERTY!!!" areas like where I live): I totally agree that everyone else should follow the rules. It went so far as a neighbor of mine, without the slightest hint of acknowledging his own cognitive dissonance, talking about how important fire-prevention laws are before proceeding to explain why he, as such a careful man, still felt justified using his ICE chainsaw at midday during Extreme Fire Danger status days (when it is illegal).
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's the rub, eh? It's an attitude I never really encountered living on the other side of the ocean, but highly prevalent in the US (even more pronounced in "LIBERTY!!!" areas like where I live): I totally agree that everyone else should follow the rules. It went so far as a neighbor of mine, without the slightest hint of acknowledging his own cognitive dissonance, talking about how important fire-prevention laws are before proceeding to explain why he, as such a careful man, still felt justified using his ICE chainsaw at midday during Extreme Fire Danger status days (when it is illegal).
    Dunning-Kruger. It's something we see everyday and it's part of the American "freedom and liberty!" mindset. It's the person in the car next to you texting as they drive along at 70 MPH because they are sure that they are more skilled than their fellow motorists. It's the cyclist on the group ride who blissfully stays on their aerobars because they know they are a better rider than others in the group. Sadly, the rest of us are all endangered by these people and their overconfident opinions.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UK Covid-19 Vaccine Surveillance Report

Cases reported by specimen date between week 36 and week 39 2021

Under 18 unvaccinated: 272,981 cases; case rate: 2325.7 per 100k; total population 11.74M
    Under 18 vaccinated 2 doses: 609 cases; case rate: 278.8 per 100k; total population 218k

40-49 unvaccinated: 11,662 cases; case rate: 690.2 per 100k; total population 1,690,145
    40-49 vaccinated 2 doses: 78,653 cases; case rate: 1281.8 per 100k: total population 6,136,137

Would you agree that the UK has some of the best Covid-19 surveillance data? If children under 18 who are not being actively vaccinated in the UK are driving the spread why would the rates be 85% higher in the adult cohort that is 80% fully vaccinated (6.1M out of 7.8M 40-49 adults)? With numbers this large would behavior be a confounder? Natural immunity?

https://assets.publishing.service.go..._-_week_40.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Anyone here get the sanctioned Pfizer booster?
    I got mine yesterday, six months to the day after my second dose.

As with the first two, my arm is a little bit sore, but no other issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    UK Covid-19 Vaccine Surveillance Report

Cases reported by specimen date between week 36 and week 39 2021

Under 18 unvaccinated: 272,981 cases; case rate: 2325.7 per 100k; total population 11.74M
    Under 18 vaccinated 2 doses: 609 cases; case rate: 278.8 per 100k; total population 218k

40-49 unvaccinated: 11662 cases; case rate: 690.2 per 100k; total population 1,690,145
    40-49 vaccinated 2 doses: 78,653 cases; case rate: 1281.8 per 100k: total population 6,136,137

Would you agree that the UK has some of the best Covid-19 surveillance data? If children under 18 who are not being actively vaccinated in the UK are driving the spread why would the rates be 85% higher in the adult cohort that is 80% fully vaccinated (6.1M out of 7.8M 40-49 adults)? With numbers this large would behavior be a confounder? Natural immunity?

https://assets.publishing.service.go..._-_week_40.pdf

** Interpretation of the case rates in vaccinated and unvaccinated population is particularly susceptible to changes in denominators
    and should be interpreted with extra caution.

Nothing to really discuss. It's purely a snapshot with incomplete data.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you mean by incomplete data? And, obviously, it's a "snapshot" at an important moment in time in a high uptake country that isn't actively vaccinating children or providing boosters for the general population.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just remember ivermectin from when I worked at a vet clinic that had a large animal practice. I used to go with the horse vet as his assistant and ivermectin was very often part of our day's work. I've heard now from two reputable sources that they've treated people who have been taking veterinary - i.e. horse dewormer - preps of ivermectin and have gotten themselves pretty sick doing it. People with advanced degrees and money and all of the benchmarks that are supposed to make them smarter than well, everyone.

Who is the evil genius who came up with this? I just make jokes about this sort of thing, but out there is someone who is actually doing something, taking action and changing the world late one night by typing the words "Worried about covid? Try ivermectin..." into some social media outlet somewhere. And they have to be making money right? Because if it is only disinformation, what's the point? Oh sure, disinformation ruins democracy, but can you make bank? And the Nobel Prize in Medicine goes to....
    yeah, it's super common for Vets. A lot of dogs receive it monthly as a dewormer. I think the trend in ERs is a result of the misinformed being unable to get a perscription for the "miracle cure" via their normal doctor. Some get sucked into the telemedicine scam I outlined earlier. Others start trying to get ahold of the drug via other means. That's why you've got bozos ingesting their dogs medicine or raiding the local tractor supply.