Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quarterly Coffee Exchange: June 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Quarterly Coffee Exchange: June 2017

For this first go we have 4 to 6 people ready to rock. There are a bunch more in the wings either getting their shit together or need permission from their budget officer ;) Regardless, here we go.

Basic rules of the road:

Commit to the exchange
    Pick someone to exchange with from the list of active roasters and post your address to send.
    Send the coffee with info. saying: roast date, origin, varietal, buying source and roast (level you are going for so we can discuss)

How does that sound?
    ===================================
    * Jimmybagdoughnuts / JSimonds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Quarterly Coffee Exchange: June 2017

Got it. You answered my questions from another post

I'll roast this weekend and get it in the mail Monday,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On it :) Same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmybagadonuts View Post
    Got it. You answered my questions from another post

I'll roast this weekend and get it in the mail Monday,

Jim Marino
    1651 Oneidas Street
    South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in! Traveling now, will be back at home Monday and can roast Monday/Tuesday.

Will roast some Brazil Yellow Bourbon: https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/...w-bourbon-5008

Just looking at TooTall's list on the kick off thread, how about partnering with defspace ? I have enough beans to roast for more than one exchange, though.

/gkk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gkk View Post
    Just looking at TooTall's list on the kick off thread, how about partnering with defspace ?
    You got it, bud. You've got a pound of Colombia Narino Buesaco Honey headed your way next week: https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/...aco-honey-5379

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have us a plan.

One lb. headed to Jimmybagdoughnuts Monday. Jim, you'll need to let my beans rest a couple more days. I'm finding that my roasts like 4 to 5 days of off gassing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First blood. Box is in the mail at 9 am today via 2nd day priority. Give it at least two more days to rest.
    I went for full city and would dig hearing your impressions. I'm attaching a video with sound of what I *think* is the second crack. I don't know shit but it must be the second crack because any more time and I'd have a fire. If there is a first crack either I can't hear it or that is the point were the beans begin a very slow crack sound eg a "crack" every 15 to 20 seconds. The roast looks pretty even to me. This is the roast level that Mrs. Too Tall and I like the most.

This is a columbia monserate microlot grown by Armando Trulo. I've got 20 lbs more of this and will be sad when it's gone. Next up is Columbia La Plata Veredas Vecinos from Sweet Maria's

Enjoy
    abouttoroast.jpgcooling.jpggreenbeans.jpgjbshipping.jpgjimmysoldshoe.jpgmeasuring.jpgnextbatch.jpgroasting.jpgwhatImroasting.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure I either can't hear, or just very very faintly hear some very small cracks for first crack.
    The prominent audible crack I hear I figure must be second crack as that is right when the beans are starting to smoke a little and smell like caramelized sugars (or blueberry muffins with the NP ethiopians I often do).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    I'm pretty sure I either can't hear, or just very very faintly hear some very small cracks for first crack.
    The prominent audible crack I hear I figure must be second crack as that is right when the beans are starting to smoke a little and smell like caramelized sugars (or blueberry muffins with the NP ethiopians I often do).
    That helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two half-pound batches on the way to defspace today:

I tried to roast Batch #2 to be darker, I think I undershot by a little bit. I've reserved one coffee's worth of both batches to try myself, so we can compare notes. Very much looking forward to your feedback!

/gkk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right back at ya, gkk.

Start with some of this:
    greenbeans.jpg

Drop them in the roaster:
    roaster.jpg

End up with this:
    roastedbeans.jpg
    packaged.jpg

I need to get some of those proper valved bags!

I am pretty limited on my roasting capacity. I did 6-7 roasts for a total of 1.5 lbs. One pound for gkk, a half pound for me. I did my best to homogenize the beans, so hopefully you and I are getting the same thing. I tried to pull right at the first sign of second crack. That's the range I've enjoyed the most.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those look like they have the "tear here" notches. Do they seal shut with an adhesive?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I followed TooTall's link in the other thread for those bags and ended up getting the half-pound size of same (since my roaster only does 1/2 lb. at a time). Mine seal up with a heat seal; I used our kitchen vacuum sealer to apply the heat strip, but I bet you could use a press iron.

/gkk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What he said. I don't seal mine, it is a feature that's geared twords retail. There is a nice heavy duty zip strip and it works perfectly as do the valves.

Quote Originally Posted by gkk View Post
    I followed TooTall's link in the other thread for those bags and ended up getting the half-pound size of same (since my roaster only does 1/2 lb. at a time). Mine seal up with a heat seal; I used our kitchen vacuum sealer to apply the heat strip, but I bet you could use a press iron.

/gkk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the first cup of the gkk roasts this morning. I started out with roast #2. It looks like that's the slightly darker roast.

Good stuff! I'm using a pour over setup. I wish I had a better coffee vocabulary. It's obviously different than what I've been making for myself. I need to compare to #1.
    I wonder if the popcorn roaster method I've been using cooks things too fast - green on the inside and over-roasted on the outside, perhaps?

Next quarter, I vote we all roast the same bean. I'd be really curious to see how things differ when we're all using the same bean.

My girlfriend says "aww, you have a coffee pen pal. That's the cutest thing ever."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your GF can pound sand. We have the coffee, be nice!!!!

As long as everyone is cool with it I'm up for your idea. At same time I REALLY like experiencing other varietals to broaden our horizons.

As for the proper words to describe the roast I say just talk. We are all in this together.

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    I had the first cup of the gkk roasts this morning. I started out with roast #2. It looks like that's the slightly darker roast.

Good stuff! I'm using a pour over setup. I wish I had a better coffee vocabulary. It's obviously different than what I've been making for myself. I need to compare to #1.
    I wonder if the popcorn roaster method I've been using cooks things too fast - green on the inside and over-roasted on the outside, perhaps?

Next quarter, I vote we all roast the same bean. I'd be really curious to see how things differ when we're all using the same bean.

My girlfriend says "aww, you have a coffee pen pal. That's the cutest thing ever."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Too Tall;854798]First blood. Box is in the mail at 9 am today via 2nd day priority. Give it at least two more days to rest.
    I went for full city and would dig hearing your impressions.

This is a columbia monserate microlot grown by Armando Trulo. I've got 20 lbs more of this and will be sad when it's gone. Next up is Columbia La Plata Veredas Vecinos from Sweet Maria's

Enjoy

Got the package on Wednesday Too Tall. Letting it sit until Tomorrow. Will provide the review shortly there after. My sample to you went out Wed. morning so you should be getting it any time now. Roasted on 6/27, so let it sit until tomorrow if possible.

Thanks !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just in case this helps -- I have found the Brazil Yellow Bourbons to be easy to roast so they're "good" but hard (for me) to roast "great." When they're good, they seem fairly straightforward, not fruity at all and not very strong caramel or chocolate (if any), just a smooth cup. The few times I have gotten it "right" (to my taste) there is some really nice caramel and no sourness whatsoever in it. That's what I was shooting for in the darker roast, but then most of my coffee is espresso made with a Sylvia. (with the occasional Aeropress cup).

I think that is a great idea. Maybe we do one 1/2 lb. with the same beans, and a second 1/2 lb. with something new?

/gkk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe we do one 1/2 lb. with the same beans, and a second 1/2 lb. with something new? << Ding ding

If everyone agrees we pick a bean, everyone orders their hoard. That gives us time to perfect the roast before the next round. Does that sound about right?

The mailman just delivered the roasted beans from Mr. Jimmy. Dewd you have the touch. It is a lighter roast than what I have been doing and just from the smell it has a lovely light spice smell...which is destroyed when I roast to Fully City ++ but I do love dark roast.

I'll give your beans another 2 days rest and have more to say than. Awesome label btw.

cof1.jpg

cof2.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast