User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Suggestions for non-profit member Software, cloud CMS or WordPress plugins?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Suggestions for non-profit member Software, cloud CMS or WordPress plugins?

Have spent too many days looking for an affordable solution for our mtb chapter. Time to tap the forum for some OT knowledge.

What we're after:
    Online membership sign-up
    Automatic renewals
    Payment via our PayPal account, possibility we'll add Stripe for cc processing
    Digital liability release at time of becoming a member AND available at group rides for non-members (phone app?)
    CSV export of membership (active, lapsed and past)
    CSV export to desktop Quickbooks
    MailChimp or other no-cost HTML easy email ability

Prefer to have it on the server with our website due to cost of utilizing cloud services.

We've had IMBA previously and CiviCRM is a very unfriendly tool. Presently working with a provider who only does member signup, no renewals and we have to request our membership list via email (not a good longterm option). They utilize the state orgs CC for processing which will terminate at the end of this month.

Current options involve using IMBA Local @ $12/member (out of a $39 membership fee), state org annual fee and liability insurance eat up almost the rest of that. IMBA is way behind on getting chapters that terminated in June back online with them by the end of this month. Additionally we'll be supporting/paying for a couple of other tools that we don't have any use for. If IMBA was ready to roll we'd probably go that route and sort the solo option out later. However the ongoing challenges at IMBA have our chapter applying for a 501c3 and working to be able to move forward w/o the endless distractions we've been dealing with for the past 18 months.

Example for an out of the box cloud solution that offers most of what we're after would be WildApricot. However, to get automatic renewals requires the $70/month level. That's close to IMBA. If we go with a do-it-ourself solution, I'll be the non-tech that has to get the plugins into WordPress, systems in place and running. Goal that it's easy enough to deal with that the responsibility can be moved to a new person every year to two years.

Possible? What's been successful for you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Suggestions for non-profit member Software, cloud CMS or WordPress plugins?

Call me crazy...would Bigcommerce work? Quickly looking at your list, B.C. does all that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Suggestions for non-profit member Software, cloud CMS or WordPress plugins?

I wouldn't use wordpress unless the thing is hosted, managed and maintained on a 24x7 basis. That thing is just so popular that it is one of the most targetted platform by script kiddies and criminals. One zero day and your website can be defaced, or your member's accounts stolen.

I see you have tried CiviCRM but there are a few other open source dedicated clubs/membership/organization CRM that you could give a try :
    https://www.tendenci.com/
    Free & Open Source Membership CRM Software | Zenbership
    https://www.admidio.org/

All of them seem to offer some hosted/supported solution but you can also download the software from their github repository and host them on your own server. I tend to be opensource biased based on my system engineer background and the lack of quality I see daily in most commercial enterprise software, including those coming from the industry giants. Not that the opensource world is entirely immune to crap and bugs, but you tend to have direct access to the devs and your data is often less captive when comes the time to upgrade or switch to a superior software.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 01-26-2018 at 11:14 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh, BC is going to be too sales focused.
    Thomas, Understand the higher degree of vulnerability WPress. SquareSpace might be better in that regard. It's also w/in our budget,

Presently we use CiviCRM via IMBA and it's always been a struggle. I'd looked at Zenbership and it offers a lot but no email/lack of recent updates raises a bit of a flag. Tendenci looks great but the $ is a killer. Admidio was off the list.

Are there any of the website builders in Softalicious via cPanel that any of you have used and had good results with? We need to update our website and I'd like to move it outside the host provided website builder (it's very restrictive and doesn't scale for mobile devices). For that matter, any website software that's pretty drag/drop that will live on an Apache server and can be packed/moved to another host w/o rebuilding.

Thanks.
    Aiming to KICK cancer's butt this time around
    Dancing with NED, raising funds for METS research

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    Tendenci looks great but the $ is a killer.t.
    Tendenci can be downloaded for free from their github repo. The downside is it is written in python which means you need a pyton/nginx our python/apache stack to make it run which is not always available on standard hosting services. It is mostly a non issue if you plan to run the software on a dedicated vps/server or if you are open to move to another hosting service.

Sadly I'm not familiar with softaculous and drag&drop website builders. Maybe Impresspages ?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Checked into Tendenci and I'd have to upgrade to a different server. Looks like ImpressPages is on cPanel for an easier install. Some of the market templates look strong as well. : ) Thanks. Will dig deeper into this one. Short timeframe to move our membership processing has complicated what was going to be a Q2 project.