User Tag List

Page 34 of 97 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Political Chatter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Read it again. A fast read might give you a impression this brings needed reform to Federal Employment management. It's way way not that.
    No that wasn't my point. This "reform" as I understand it may make it possible for the President to fire civil servants (meaning permanent non-political government hires) based on a measurement as subjective as perceived disloyalty and at its most damaging wipe out the day-to-day operations of the government before turning over the Presidency to a successor. It is a scorched earth policy, not a reform at all.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    No that wasn't my point. This "reform" as I understand it may make it possible for the President to fire civil servants (meaning permanent non-political government hires) based on a measurement as subjective as perceived disloyalty and at its most damaging wipe out the day-to-day operations of the government before turning over the Presidency to a successor. It is a scorched earth policy, not a reform at all.
    Noted and yeah that was my point. Apparently, we need to be eyeball to eyeball more often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could not a Biden administration effectively hit the undo button and rehire those people?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Trump loses, will he even hang around to next January? I raise this in response to the scorched earth comment re firing federal employees in the event of a loss.

Once he gets over the shock of being fired by the people, Trump will need to come to the realisation that there are some hurdles to surmount if he wants to avoid spending large amounts of time with lawyers post-Presidency. Thus, he could hand over to Pence, confess to tax fraud et al and get a pardon and spend 'retirement' furiously tweeting from his golf course in Florida. I can't really see him sharing the stage with Biden for inauguration. I can't really see him repeating that very awkward Trump/Obama White House hand over photo in early 2017, but this time with the shoe on the other foot. He doesn't seem particularly interested in doing the job in general and if he gets his marching orders, he may well do just that, but only after ensuring his backside is covered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    If Trump loses, will he even hang around to next January? I raise this in response to the scorched earth comment re firing federal employees in the event of a loss.

Once he gets over the shock of being fired by the people, Trump will need to come to the realisation that there are some hurdles to surmount if he wants to avoid spending large amounts of time with lawyers post-Presidency. Thus, he could hand over to Pence, confess to tax fraud et al and get a pardon and spend 'retirement' furiously tweeting from his golf course in Florida. I can't really see him sharing the stage with Biden for inauguration. I can't really see him repeating that very awkward Trump/Obama White House hand over photo in early 2017, but this time with the shoe on the other foot. He doesn't seem particularly interested in doing the job in general and if he gets his marching orders, he may well do just that, but only after ensuring his backside is covered.
    don't jinx it!

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Trump Administration Is Reversing Nearly 100 Environmental Rules. Here’s the Full List. | New York Times

"

Over four years in office, the Trump administration has dismantled major climate policies and rolled back many more rules governing clean air, water, wildlife and toxic chemicals.

While other administrations have emphasized cutting regulations, calling them burdensome to industries like coal, oil and gas, the scope of actions under Mr. Trump is “fundamentally different,” said Hana V. Vizcarra, a staff attorney at Harvard Law School’s Environmental and Energy Law Program.

In all, a New York Times analysis, based on research from Harvard Law School, Columbia Law School and other sources, counts more than 70 environmental rules and regulations officially reversed, revoked or otherwise rolled back under Mr. Trump. Another 26 rollbacks are still in progress.
    "
    Last edited by guido; 10-26-2020 at 07:13 AM.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    The Trump Administration Is Reversing Nearly 100 Environmental Rules. Here’s the Full List. | New York Times

"

Over four years in office, the Trump administration has dismantled major climate policies and rolled back many more rules governing clean air, water, wildlife and toxic chemicals.

While other administrations have emphasized cutting regulations, calling them burdensome to industries like coal, oil and gas, the scope of actions under Mr. Trump is “fundamentally different,” said Hana V. Vizcarra, a staff attorney at Harvard Law School’s Environmental and Energy Law Program.

In all, a New York Times analysis, based on research from Harvard Law School, Columbia Law School and other sources, counts more than 70 environmental rules and regulations officially reversed, revoked or otherwise rolled back under Mr. Trump. Another 26 rollbacks are still in progress.
    "
    I wonder how that Russian patsy Dr. Stein feels about all this. As if there really weren't a difference between Clinton and Trump...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
    Could not a Biden administration effectively hit the undo button and rehire those people?
    It will be quite difficult to unring that bell.

FWIIW Scorched earth is one take. Another is looking for a second term and total control of the Federal Workforce. Threatening people with loss of jobs and retirement is not a new play with this crew.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 10-26-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--- reading all with digestion within...
    soo many wrongs and soo many new leaves to overturn, seeds to plant, and new growth to green...

still, the greatest place in the world to live and die --- my shed blood brings love from within...

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    It will be quite difficult to unring that bell.

FWIIW Scorched earth is one take. Another is looking for a second term and total control of the Federal Workforce. Threatening people with loss of jobs and retirement is not a new play with this crew.
    Then there's "schedule F". This will be the list of employees who will be replaced if there's a second term.

https://www.fedsmith.com/2020/10/26/...hedule-f-bomb/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    I wonder how that Russian patsy Dr. Stein feels about all this. As if there really weren't a difference between Clinton and Trump...
    The "Green" party candidate??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    Then there's "schedule F". This will be the list of employees who will be replaced if there's a second term.

What keeps Bannon giggling at night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    The "Green" party candidate??
    That's the one. Should probably put her professional title in quotation marks as well, as she pandered to the anti-vaxxer crowd, although she did technically earn her degree.

Twice now that the Green Party (and its supporters) showed the world how upright it is by helping to usher in people who could give a rat's arse about the environment...

That one is straight up trolling, as it's doubtful it would withstand judicial scrutiny (under normal circumstances). Then again, the Supreme Court got packed, so who knows...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty worried about the fact that the Pennsylvania legislature isn't allowing early vote counting to begin before election day. According to 538, PA is the most likely tipping point state. The GOP plan is to call a win in PA early, and then put the kibosh on vote counting so the dems won't catch up. Disinformation about fraud will send the media down an irrelevant rabbit hole and give them time to push it through the judicial system. SCOTUS is on board with the plan. This is really frightening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty worried about the fact that the Pennsylvania legislature isn't allowing early vote counting to begin before election day. According to 538, PA is the most likely tipping point state. The GOP plan is to call a win in PA early, and then put the kibosh on vote counting so the dems won't catch up. Disinformation about fraud will send the media down an irrelevant rabbit hole and give them time to push it through the judicial system. SCOTUS is on board with the plan. This is really frightening.
    Yes, I agree with your analysis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kavanaugh's citation of Bush v. Gore as precedent for the Wisconsin decision was the primary reason I didn't sleep well last night.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pa voters have until 5 pm today to request their mail in ballot. Currently Pa. is giving 3 days after election to count votes. I would imagine that will be fought over depending on how the early count goes.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we've got millions out of work for months, and months of obvious foreshadowing about battles over post-election-day counts. Each party should be going all-out to get ballots IN and votes CAST before or on E-day.

Unless prohibited by current laws, I don't see why each state/party hasn't already developed plans to plus up whatever system they use to receive and count ballots.

I believe that was the goal with CA republican "illegal" (not official) ballot drop boxes--my understanding is they weren't trying to steal Dem votes, but harvest and get recorded as many ballots as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's crunch time folks. Please contribute $ to Democratic candidates if you can; or phone/text bank; everybody needs to do something.

Amy McGrath is in a battle with Mitch McConnell - Getting rid of him would be a fruitful strategic victory.

Jaime Harrison is up against Lindsey Graham in SC - That would be another key win if we could pull it off.

In the House, Moe Davis in North Carolina looks like he has a shot at defeating a truly awful opponent.

There are plenty of other worthy Democratic candidates; it's a sprint to the finish now so please contribute anything you can. I'm contributing more to Senate and House races than to Biden because I think his die is already cast, for better or worse, and flipping the Senate would reduce the potential for Trump to continue his destruction should he remain in office.

I see some 4x and 5x contribution offers via ActBlue on FB so I assume they're legit and a good way to maximize the benefit of your contributions.

I wanna see some frames that are bent from the effort come Wed morning.

Thanks
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets