Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Made in the USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Made in the USA

I've got no axe to grind, weeelll my Hansgrohe excepted. I'm prompted to look at USA made products because of supply shortages. Some items are better elsewhere, sure they are of course they are but let's just focus. What made in the USA products do you swear by and use?

Let's begin with something in everyone's kitchen tool drawer, a vegetable peeler. RADA has been in the game since 1948 and gives a lifetime warranty.
    https://www.radacutlery.com/kitchen-...getable-peeler

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Made in the USA

Lynskey, Serotta, Coconino (X2), and Gunnar. It's hard to distinguish "made in America" from "assembled in America." At my last job, every component came from a US source. At my current job, assemblies go out the door built with parts from Mexico, Viet Nam, and Austria. The automated machinery is from Italy and Germany. US companies that are international will source parts from global plants to allow for specialization and efficiency.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eley hose reels. The best. https://www.eleyhosereels.com/produc...hose-reel-cart

AM Leonard all-metal rake. If you have a gravel driveway... https://www.amleo.com/leonard-all-st...akes/p/VP-MRXX

King of Spades all-metal shovels and spades. You can sharpen the blade. Great leverage. Heavy but you won't break one. http://www.kingofspadesonline.com

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of my clothing is coming from american factories. American Giant for pants and t-shirts, Gitman Bros for dress shirts, Redwing, New Balance, and Frye for shoes. I don't really have an axe to grind either. but what I'm after are durable goods that aren't made in a sweatshop or are going to go out of style in a hurry. Paying a slight price premium for this stuff makes sense to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    Most of my clothing is coming from american factories. American Giant for pants and t-shirts, Gitman Bros for dress shirts, Redwing, New Balance, and Frye for shoes. I don't really have an axe to grind either. but what I'm after are durable goods that aren't made in a sweatshop or are going to go out of style in a hurry. Paying a slight price premium for this stuff makes sense to me.
    I'd love a good pair of 100% USA sourced shoes but none of these really make the cut. Red Wing has their "Heritage Line" for MUSA, but the rest are Vietnam, Cambodia, China...etc. They do have tannery in Minnesota so, in theory, they could be producing a 100% MUSA shoe. Frye were only a USA-dominant producer until 2003, then they outsourced most of their production to China and Mexico. New Balance actually had an FTC lawsuit for spell over their "Made in the USA" claim as the outersole and uppers are both made in China for the most part and only assembled in the USA.

Rubber trees don't grow as well in Minnesota as they do in Thailand.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://roguehoe.com/

Best tool for any trail work, hands down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The definition of country of origin is very tricky at best. Even legally, different countries define it differently and usually less than clear-cut. Ideally, you have a transparent chain of custody for every component so you can draw your own conclusions, but that's not really feasible in most instances.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My camera plates and tripod ball heads are all made by Really Right Stuff San Luis Obispo, California USA. As a visiting Australian I've had the pleasure of visiting their premises back in May 2011.

All their hardware (alloy fabrication) is proudly 100% made in the USA and is truly wonderful equipment to work and play with.

On a bike related Born in the USA theme - my Yeti SB-6 is the sweetest MTB I ever had the pleasure of riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    The definition of country of origin is very tricky at best. Even legally, different countries define it differently and usually less than clear-cut. Ideally, you have a transparent chain of custody for every component so you can draw your own conclusions, but that's not really feasible in most instances.
    Well said from a knowledgeable man, thank you. For contrast Boyd Wheels are assembled in the USA from foreign components.

Said before, a goodly portion of my impetus to discuss this has everything to do with supply chain, ultimate availability and quality. Taken together this hillbilly triptych more often results in high quality goods available to consumers with a healthy margin to the maker(s) often because of direct to consumer sales. All these are things which appeal to me.

(Long drag on unfiltered clove cigarette)

So....how about Rancourt and Co ( https://www.rancourtandcompany.com/ ) Everything is made in Maine or Waterfield Designs ( https://www.sfbags.com/ ) "American Made".
    Last edited by Too Tall; 06-29-2021 at 06:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am quite pleased with my 1UP-USA bike rack. It claims to be 100% American made. What this means I don't know. I don't know if they get the pieces already machined and they assemble them or if they actually do a lot of the machining and metal working themselves. But to the extent possible, I think it is as close to a domestically produced product as possible. And it's a truly excellent way to carry a bike. Contrary to what this picture shows, it fits entirely within the shape of the vehicle. Obviously, I can't close the tailgate with the bike on so this was just a test the first day I had it. With just one bike on the position closest to the car there's only a very minimal fuel consumption penalty. I've taken a number of long trips, including one from Michigan to south Florida last fall and the rack performed perfectly with no glitches at all. Highly recommended product.

Sorry for the long review....... Went off the rails but hey, it's a MUSA product that seems to involve no compromise. As an aside, three of the bikes in the photo are MUSA as well.

La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proudly made in the USA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Around here, Nittany Mountain Works makes frame and other bags: https://nittanymountainworks.com/

"Solar sewn in Philipsburg PA". There you go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think White Industries, Chris King and Paragon Machine Works make everything in the US.
    Nothing made from a large number of complex component parts is entirely made in one country that I can think of.
    Also Patagonia makes stuff in many places but they are fair and honest partners everywhere so there’s no exploitation guilt in buying from them.
    I hear My Pillow is 100% made in USA…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know this isn't really the thread for it, but i really, really wish i could find a US-based frame manufacturer that put out a large number of frames (ie Cannondale back in 2009).
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Beaudoin View Post
    I hear My Pillow is 100% made in USA…
    if true, even better. i love mine.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    I'd love a good pair of 100% USA sourced shoes but none of these really make the cut. Red Wing has their "Heritage Line" for MUSA, but the rest are Vietnam, Cambodia, China...etc. They do have tannery in Minnesota so, in theory, they could be producing a 100% MUSA shoe. Frye were only a USA-dominant producer until 2003, then they outsourced most of their production to China and Mexico. New Balance actually had an FTC lawsuit for spell over their "Made in the USA" claim as the outersole and uppers are both made in China for the most part and only assembled in the USA.

Rubber trees don't grow as well in Minnesota as they do in Thailand.
    Yeah, they aren't 100% domestic sourced. I should have been more specific that they have select lines of MUSA product.

and yes, rubber plantations are unlikely to be found in North America. Synthetic rubber however is available here and often used in footwear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    and yes, rubber plantations are unlikely to be found in North America. Synthetic rubber however is available here and often used in footwear.
    There’s a Vibram Sole factory a hop, skip and a jump from here. They not only make shoe soles there, they repair and replace them too.

https://us.vibram.com/stores?cobbler

And if you’re headed over there to get you Bean boots resoled, there’s a damn good brewery in Brookfield too.
    https://timberyardbrewing.com/

PS Disclosure: Vibram is a client.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 06-30-2021 at 09:10 AM.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    i know this isn't really the thread for it, but i really, really wish i could find a US-based frame manufacturer that put out a large number of frames (ie Cannondale back in 2009).
    start a bmx team and ya can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amplifiers and DACs:

Rogue Audio
    Schiit Audio
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like