User Tag List

Page 298 of 350 FirstFirst ... 288289290291292293294295296297298299300301302303304305306307308 ... LastLast
Results 5,941 to 5,960 of 6992

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    That made my head hurt.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    That made my head hurt.
    Nice hybrid bro.

edit: Seems there is a hack involved.

Last edited by j44ke; 09-06-2022 at 01:31 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://jalopnik.com/2023-toyota-gr-...ecs-1849498519

AWD? Manual only? Could I actually get excited about a Toyota?

(I’d get excited about the 86 or Supra if they had AWD options, I’m looking to avoid tire chains in winter)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marvinlungwitz View Post

Btw, I agree the new VW ID4 is a nice looking vehicle, and they haven’t gone overboard on the power & performance (a good thing for a daily driver, imo).
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, run away. No, No, No. That thing is a disaster on many levels. Fun to drive? No. Easy to live with and figure out/use the controls? No. Feels like something quality and non-disposable? No. I'm not anti VW - I LOVED the e-Golf, and the previous Gen GTI and Golf R are fantastic. But their current interfaces are just abysmal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, run away. No, No, No. That thing is a disaster on many levels. Fun to drive? No. Easy to live with and figure out/use the controls? No. Feels like something quality and non-disposable? No. I'm not anti VW - I LOVED the e-Golf, and the previous Gen GTI and Golf R are fantastic. But their current interfaces are just abysmal.
    Nothing about the current GTI or Golf R raises my heart rate. I looked at a new GTI recently. Base trim with cloth seats. The fabric felt and looked cheap and is just pandering to the purists with the plaid pattern but mediocre feel of quality. And you can’t get the Golf R without a sunroof. I kind of want one because I enjoyed my 2006 GTI so much for so long but I just have the feeling I’d be really disappointed.

I think VW USA is lost and rudderless.

BTW, I’m perfectly good with fabric seats. My 2006 had cloth/fabric and they lasted the entire time I had the car with minimal wear and tear. Very durable fabric.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 09-07-2022 at 04:19 PM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Nothing about the current GTI or Golf R raises my heart rate. I looked at a new GTI recently. Base trim with cloth seats. The fabric felt and looked cheap and is just pandering to the purists with the plaid pattern but mediocre feel of quality. And you can’t get the Golf R without a sunroof. I kind of want one because I enjoyed my 2006 GTI so much for so long but I just have the feeling I’d be really disappointed.

I think VW USA is lost and rudderless.
    You will be missing out. This is the third GTI in the family. A 2014 Mk7 sold to our daughter in 2019 (she loves it and it constantly reminds her of the 2 day course she took at the Audi Driving school at Road Atlanta soon after getting her license). A 2019 MK7 with the standard front LSD that was totaled by a driver that ran a red light and T-boned my wife directly in her side view mirror (she walked away completely unscathed). It was a nightmare to find any kind of used or new replacement this past spring but we got lucky with a used 2022 Mk8 model. Much more comfortable seats and the adaptive suspension is both more planted and comfortable over any kind of road imperfections. All were Autobahn trim models. I am not a fan a glitz for glitz sake and would have purchased a pre-2022 model with switches rather than full haptics everywhere but no older models were available that she liked. After a month or two of use, the haptic controls are nearly as easy as dials and switches. No complaints.
    -Mike
    unnamed-1 2.jpg
    Mike Owens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowens View Post
    You will be missing out. This is the third GTI in the family. A 2014 Mk7 sold to our daughter in 2019 (she loves it and it constantly reminds her of the 2 day course she took at the Audi Driving school at Road Atlanta soon after getting her license). A 2019 MK7 with the standard front LSD that was totaled by a driver that ran a red light and T-boned my wife directly in her side view mirror (she walked away completely unscathed). It was a nightmare to find any kind of used or new replacement this past spring but we got lucky with a used 2022 Mk8 model. Much more comfortable seats and the adaptive suspension is both more planted and comfortable over any kind of road imperfections. All were Autobahn trim models. I am not a fan a glitz for glitz sake and would have purchased a pre-2022 model with switches rather than full haptics everywhere but no older models were available that she liked. After a month or two of use, the haptic controls are nearly as easy as dials and switches. No complaints.
    -Mike
    unnamed-1 2.jpg
    Nice! I’m glad you’re enjoying them! They’re really fantastic vehicles. I was always in love with the practical nature of the car and the performance of the hot hatch. Street legal go carts in their element in point-and-shoot traffic situations. Not a track car at all in general but a really fun daily driver.

I will admit to liking the styling of the new models but the interior leaves me cold. I’d like more option flexibility. For example, I really don’t want a sunroof but to get some other options I would want it’s a must-have.

Maybe in the future for me. We’ll see. But for now I’ve got a Model Y coming. Up the thread I said I preferred the Model 3 for seating position and driving dynamics but the lack of an available hatchback put an end to my electric hot hatch ambitions.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice! I’m glad you’re enjoying them! They’re really fantastic vehicles. I was always in love with the practical nature of the car and the performance of the hot hatch. Street legal go carts in their element in point-and-shoot traffic situations. Not a track car at all in general but a really fun daily driver.

I will admit to liking the styling of the new models but the interior leaves me cold. I’d like more option flexibility. For example, I really don’t want a sunroof but to get some other options I would want it’s a must-have.

Maybe in the future for me. We’ll see. But for now I’ve got a Model Y coming. Up the thread I said I preferred the Model 3 for seating position and driving dynamics but the lack of an available hatchback put an end to my electric hot hatch ambitions.
    Really? Wow - that's exciting. How long before it arrives?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Really? Wow - that's exciting. How long before it arrives?
    I put in my order back in March. Right now the app says delivery over about a 5-week window from late October to the end of November. I’m working with an electrician to have a home charger put in but I think he’s swamped. It’s not a job for an amateur like myself so I’ll have to be patient.

I tested the 3 and the Y. As mentioned, the 3 was far more interesting (smaller, lighter, far nicer and sportier seating position like my old GTI or a BMW 3-Series) but the lack of a factory hitch receiver or hatchback meant I went with the Y.

Gray Long Range with 18” wheels for best efficiency.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 09-07-2022 at 06:08 PM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put in my order back in March. Right now the app says delivery over about a 5-week window from late October to the end of November. I’m working with an electrician to have a home charger put in but I think he’s swamped. It’s not a job for an amateur like myself so I’ll have to be patient.

I tested the 3 and the Y. As mentioned, the 3 was far more interesting (smaller, lighter, far nicer and sportier seating position like my old GTI or a BMW 3-Series) but the lack of a factory hitch receiver or hatchback meant I went with the Y.

Gray Long Range with 18” wheels for best efficiency.
    I've not been so impressed with the 3 just from looking at it, i.e. tire kicking. But I like the Y. There are a ton of Teslas around here, so the natural food store parking lot is like a dealership. The Y seemed like more of a "real" car for lack of better description. And for lack of any real experience with one. I've driven neither 3 nor Y. So will be interesting to hear what you think when you get it!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Saab2000;1082433]Nice! I’m glad you’re enjoying them! They’re really fantastic vehicles. I was always in love with the practical nature of the car and the performance of the hot hatch. /QUOTE]
    My wife has some younger work colleagues with 1 or 2 small children and they all NEEDED 3-row SUVs. When setting up at various charitable events ( https://afsp.org/ ), they routinely call the GTI a "clown car" because of its seemingly endless storage capacity.
    -Mike
    Mike Owens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=mowens;1082448]
    Nice! I’m glad you’re enjoying them! They’re really fantastic vehicles. I was always in love with the practical nature of the car and the performance of the hot hatch. /QUOTE]
    My wife has some younger work colleagues with 1 or 2 small children and they all NEEDED 3-row SUVs. When setting up at various charitable events ( https://afsp.org/ ), they routinely call the GTI a "clown car" because of its seemingly endless storage capacity.
    -Mike
    The amount of stuff I could fit in mine never failed to amaze me. Crazy practical car in addition to being a ton of fun to drive. Wishing you many happy miles!

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I've driven neither 3 nor Y. So will be interesting to hear what you think when you get it!
    I will grant that they’re not particularly attractive vehicles. The lack of a grill is bizarre and they look like mouthless frogs, especially the Y. They’re designed entirely for aerodynamics, at least in terms of the styling. As to driving one, I both recommend it and discourage it. Most people who drive them are impressed by the acceleration and lack of noise. Or they’re disturbed by it. It’s certainly unusual. The one-pedal driving is interesting as well. It eliminates the need for 95% of your braking. The sound system is outstanding. Not in love with having a touch screen for so many of the car’s functions but I’m told you set it up like a smart phone and then mostly don’t worry about it.

Definitely interested in being done with gas stations.

I liked my test drives and I’m not enamored of the drivetrain in my Tiguan. It’s noisy but at least it’s slow. The Y is neither and size wise it’s kind of a wash. Charging at home will be nice but obviously the price tag is a bit of a shock to the system. It is by far the most expensive vehicle I’ve ever bought.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you like to drive, and you like your manuals, probably not a bad option with the Supra 6 speed manual...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ I'd enjoy a test drive in the GR Supra and GR 86. They seem to be among the few vehicles that could give me something like the 280z Mom sold before I was driving age. It's only my need for a winter sports mobile that makes this a very unlikely dream.
    Last edited by 72gmc; 09-08-2022 at 11:55 AM.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    If you like to drive, and you like your manuals, probably not a bad option with the Supra 6 speed manual...

If it's still available in a year and not a unicorn vehicle it's definitely in my brain. I've sat in one but only the automatic version. I like the Porsche Cayman more but they're much more expensive.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And you can’t get the Golf R without a sunroof.

BTW, I’m perfectly good with fabric seats. My 2006 had cloth/fabric and they lasted the entire time I had the car with minimal wear and tear. Very durable fabric.
    The 20th Anniversary edition comes without a sunroof.

I always felt they needed to give the US GTi a striped velour seat option rather than plaid, and in the original red or blue.
    Battery and T free cyclist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Tbh, I’ve never sat in one, nor driven one, I just don’t find the exterior styling offensive, and the specs seem reasonable.

When I think of VW, the original air cooled VWs always come to mind. They were by no means performance vehicles, they were meant to be utilitarian transportation. They had a quirky charm, however. I’ll have to drive an ID4 and see if it’s as bad as the microbus was.

:-D
    Battery and T free cyclist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My concern with modern cars, electric or ICE is the amount of screens/electronics in them. I’m not sure what the lifespan of those components are, anyone still using an iPad that is 10 years old? It feels like cars are becoming more disposable versus having 20-25 year life spans if not longer. I’m happy with my 15 year old FJ Cruiser and my 20 year old E46 5spd wagon that is quickly becoming my favorite driving car I’ve ever owned. It’s definitely not the fastest car but the steering feel and suspension are fantastic. Makes me want to put a supercharged S54 or LS in it at some point and make it a real sleeper wagon. It’s also nice to know I can fix about anything in either of those vehicles in my garage.

And if I ever have the means and opportunity to own a GT4 or GT4 RS; I’d do it in a heartbeat so there’s also that…
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post
    My concern with modern cars, electric or ICE is the amount of screens/electronics in them. I’m not sure what the lifespan of those components are, anyone still using an iPad that is 10 years old?

Agreed 100% and why I’m not in love with the current generation of VWs. I’m concerned about this direction as well, as it pertains to so many products today, cars included. This concern includes Tesla, in which I’m invested. I hope there’s future proofing beneath the skin and in the software.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 09-09-2022 at 07:57 PM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope there’s future proofing beneath the skin and in the software.
    If someone can prove that to be true, I’d consider an electric car. Till then, maintaining old ICEs seems to be the best environmental choice to me. Thankfully I don’t have to commute every day.
    Nathan H