User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alignment plate, and what about mic6?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default alignment plate, and what about mic6?

2" thick as an alignment surface?

i'm interested in real world experience, not theory.

anyone actually done it?
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: alignment plate, and what about mic6?

Doug Fattic mentioned some time ago working on aluminum alignment plates for portable use. I'd contact him to see what happened and how successful that was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used 1" thick mic6 for a few years and it worked fine. I can not quantify how true it stayed though--just that it was good enough for me. The bottom was fully supported with 6" of particle board.

-Joel

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't think the business depth of my M+L table is more than 2cm, webbing notwithstanding.
    the 2000 pound granite plates thing is lost on me atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doug had one of his aluminum alignment tables at the Philly Bike Expo. It does have a web. Top wasn't that thick, not even an inch. Mic 6 is pretty stable, I'm guessing that it would work fine. You might not need 2"

The 2000 pound granite plate thing has to do with the fact that they are usually really cheap or free, lots of granite around. The people that really need granite don't want to go used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw Doug's cast aluminum plate at Cirque this past summer. It looked pretty nice but I'd be concerned about durability with aluminum. I'd imagine you'd need to get the mic6 hard anodized. Why not give Don Ferris a buzz?

I just looked mic6 (actually lists as mic6 or similar) up on metalexpress.net. The thickest they list is 1.5". If you get that in 48" length x 36" width, it costs almost $1300.00 and they list the weight at a touch over 260lbs. You still need to get it machined for your accessories and I think you'd need hard-anodizing. You'd also need to have a stand fabricated. I think by the time you're all in, you could re-condition a cast iron plate for less and have something totally bomber. Is weight/portability a concern for you?
    Tom Palermo
    www.palermobicycles.com
    photos

Palermo Bicycles
    steel bicycles & frame repairs
    Baltimore, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your stuff(e-RICHIE) is steel and hardened, i'm talking cast aluminum. we had one at bikefriday (cast alu) but was only .75" and was always going out so the basically canti'd the thing from the center and tuned it at the corners with turnbuckles on stays.

hench 2"
    Last edited by crumpton; 11-03-2010 at 11:28 AM.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cement shoes View Post
    I saw Doug's cast aluminum plate at Cirque this past summer. It looked pretty nice but I'd be concerned about durability with aluminum. I'd imagine you'd need to get the mic6 hard anodized. Why not give Don Ferris a buzz?

I just looked mic6 (actually lists as mic6 or similar) up on metalexpress.net. The thickest they list is 1.5". If you get that in 48" length x 36" width, it costs almost $1300.00 and they list the weight at a touch over 260lbs. You still need to get it machined for your accessories and I think you'd need hard-anodizing. You'd also need to have a stand fabricated. I think by the time you're all in, you could re-condition a cast iron plate for less and have something totally bomber. Is weight/portability a concern for you?
    i simply have no desire for an 1100-1300 lb rock until i am in my final shop with space and bigger machine tools. i am willing to pay a premium for a lighter solution.
    Last edited by crumpton; 11-03-2010 at 11:31 AM.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, when I started at BF all of the aluminum plates had been replaced with steel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cement shoes View Post
    I saw Doug's cast aluminum plate at Cirque this past summer. It looked pretty nice but I'd be concerned about durability with aluminum. I'd imagine you'd need to get the mic6 hard anodized.
    ...snip...
    Is weight/portability a concern for you?
    I think it would need to be hard anodized too. I've been messing with mic6, and it scratches easily. I was wondering if weight was the main concern. Doug's table doesn't cost as much as a 2" thick plate of the same size and isn't as heavy. I'm thinking that framebuilding students are probably as hard on it as anyone would be, and it looked to be in pretty good shape

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EricKeller View Post
    I think it would need to be hard anodized too. I've been messing with mic6, and it scratches easily. I was wondering if weight was the main concern. Doug's table doesn't cost as much as a 2" thick plate of the same size and isn't as heavy. I'm thinking that framebuilding students are probably as hard on it as anyone would be, and it looked to be in pretty good shape
    is dougs anodized?
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't recall Doug's table being hard anodized. It had a sort of dull colored/grayish finish and appeared to have been blanchard ground. I don't recall the tolerances on that table either so you'd need to ask Doug.
    Tom Palermo
    www.palermobicycles.com
    photos

Palermo Bicycles
    steel bicycles & frame repairs
    Baltimore, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no, Doug's table is clearly not anodized. And I am sure it's harder to get one than just getting a big plate of mic6.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    is dougs anodized?
    I took Doug's class a couple summers ago. He also brought the aluminum table with him to Philly this passed weekend. I am certain that it is not anodized. Can't remember the tolerances though.

-Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go read up on mic6. the whole point is its flatness and hardness from the start. no need for grinding assuming it has been stored and handled correctly. it also needs to be properly supported in a stand lest it warps.
    i am getting $2k quotes for 36x48x2"
    Last edited by crumpton; 11-03-2010 at 12:46 PM.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do have a cast aluminum alignment table in my shop for student use. The top is about an inch thick and with the addition of the webbing below about 3” thick. There are 7 pads underneath (that are ground flat so the top can be ground flat) that add even more thickness. Mine is 32” X 48” and I’ve suggested to students to get 34” instead because it fits my fixture slightly better. The top weighs about 170 lbs. Herbie and I didn’t have any trouble getting it into and out of the car to take to Philly. 4 steel legs are bolted to the corner pads with 4 bolts each. It is accurate to at least 10 thousandths of an inch tolerance across the entire surface. One of my students had his specially ground by a company in New York to less than 2 thousandths. The company that makes them also bores a post hole in one of the pads.

In over two years of constant use by students (who are infinitely harder on equipment than I am) it has held up very well. It will scratch more easily than my cast iron ones. The reason I bought it is that some students under no present circumstances can have a 1000 lb table. No way. This is a reasonable alternative and much more useful than a beam. I like my cast iron ones better because they are tougher but I’d rather have this than a granite one. I think the company has sold about 6 or 7 of them to framebuilders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mic6 will hold it's tolerance if supported right. Be careful scratching or gouging it and you'll be fine. We use a fair amount of it where I work, both for fixtures and inspection plates. It's just as accurate as the high dollar 8" granite slab we have.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the FNL pics it looks like Signal is working off of aluminum these days

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Doug, real work experience kicks ass. but im not picturing the pad or how the webbing is attached. can you provide a pic of that entire 32x48 setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
    I do have a cast aluminum alignment table in my shop for student use. The top is about an inch thick and with the addition of the webbing below about 3” thick. There are 7 pads underneath (that are ground flat so the top can be ground flat) that add even more thickness. Mine is 32” X 48” and I’ve suggested to students to get 34” instead because it fits my fixture slightly better. The top weighs about 170 lbs. Herbie and I didn’t have any trouble getting it into and out of the car to take to Philly. 4 steel legs are bolted to the corner pads with 4 bolts each. It is accurate to at least 10 thousandths of an inch tolerance across the entire surface. One of my students had his specially ground by a company in New York to less than 2 thousandths. The company that makes them also bores a post hole in one of the pads.

In over two years of constant use by students (who are infinitely harder on equipment than I am) it has held up very well. It will scratch more easily than my cast iron ones. The reason I bought it is that some students under no present circumstances can have a 1000 lb table. No way. This is a reasonable alternative and much more useful than a beam. I like my cast iron ones better because they are tougher but I’d rather have this than a granite one. I think the company has sold about 6 or 7 of them to framebuilders.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    i don't think the business depth of my M+L table is more than 2cm, webbing notwithstanding.
    the 2000 pound granite plates thing is lost on me atmo.
    they keep the work shop cool during the hot summer days
    Cheers Dazza
    The rock star is dying. And it's a small tragedy. Rock stars have blogs now. I have no use for that kind of rock star.
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyncustombicycles/
    Darrell Llewellyn McCulloch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast