User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the death of Instagram (or: what mobile photo apps are best?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default the death of Instagram (or: what mobile photo apps are best?)

So, Zuckerberg & Co. are now telling us that they may use any if your Instagram photos (after 1/16/13) for their own commercial use, yet YOU may be on the hook for any liability incurred.* This seems like it could be on the verge of being another Netflix-style snafu. I'm waiting to see how it plays out (and I'm not a chronic Instagrammer anyway- sometimes a filter can make a mundane image look more interesting, but mainly I try to take good pictures to begin with...)

That said, anyone want to share tips and tricks for sharing your content? Mine are generally as follows:
    - iPhone pictures:
    1. take photo with ProCamera
    2. edit/level/crop with Snapseed (now owned by Google- can't get away from the big boys' tentacles) and save to iPhone photo library
    3. upload to Tumblr/Facebook (and now thinking about Flickr, for pics that are not 'timeless' or permanent enough for my Tumblr blog)

- Camera photos:
    1. take photo with camera
    2. edit in Aperture
    3. upload to Tumblr/Facebook/Picasaweb for my family members not on FB

It's enough to make one's head spin. And I'm just a lowly hobbyist...I can't imagine trying to keep up with all these formats, privacy settings, and platforms for people who rely on this to get the word out about themselves. Photogs, framebuilders, and the like...

* I'm no lawyer, but I can't see how this could stand up, wrt photo release consents, etc.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: the death of Instagram (or: what mobile photo apps are best?)

No one's going to care after the fact, except us nerds. I hear flickr is very good. I have it installed but haven't used it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's enough for me to abandon ship. Same reason I don't use Facebook. I don't like that they will share Instagram user data with Facebook either.

Flickr has a better model. You retain ownership, they just have the rights to display your photos to the public (most recent photos, feeds, etc).

But lukasz is right, this will pass and no one will care and keep using it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mainly use Flickr, and sometimes Tumblr. Mainly cause it's easy to do both from Aperture. I'd probably do more on Picasa if I could get the exporter for Aperture to work consistently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flickr FTW. Long-time user and I'm glad to see its resurgence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing to point out with Flickr is that you only have your most recent 200 photos displayed if you dont have a pro account. Pro accounts run $25 a year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Picasa Uploader for Mac. It sits outside of Aperture but you can just drag any amount of photos from Aperture right into it- have never had any hassles.
    My Tumblr export plug-in however, stopped playing nice with Aperture after a recent update.

So, for the unpaid Flickr limits...if I was to link a Flickr photo to a weekend ride thread here, does the photo become invisible on Vsalon once it ages out of the 200 newest on my Flickr account? My pics in last year's "Year in Review" thread are now gone; they were linked to Tumblr and I'm not sure what happened.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instagram has re-worded their intentions. Updated legal-written policy coming soon. I initially read it as they intended it to be read - so I wondered what all the fuss was about.

Thank you, and we’re listening - Instagram Blog
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cancelled my Instagram acct ... not that I was that worried about them selling my pics of my dogs, bikes, coffee, and beer. I don't Facebook either. I'm happy with my choices.
    Goosebumps never lie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is obviously a way to try to make money off it, but an INCREDIBLY STUPID way to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    So, for the unpaid Flickr limits...if I was to link a Flickr photo to a weekend ride thread here, does the photo become invisible on Vsalon once it ages out of the 200 newest on my Flickr account?
    Exactly right. If you're willing to pay for a PRO account, this isn't a problem. It seems like many that use Flickr as their primary picture sharing method go this route. I've thought about saving the $25 and going to Picasa, but I never have bit the bullet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    Instagram has re-worded their intentions. Updated legal-written policy coming soon. I initially read it as they intended it to be read - so I wondered what all the fuss was about.

Thank you, and we’re listening - Instagram Blog

That blog post is also carefully worded, and there is a lot of wiggle room between intending to not do something versus stating you will never do something. On the other hand it's hard for me to feel much sympathy for the Instragram user that is shocked by the fact that the "free" service they have been using is now trying monetize on their content. The modern internet adage holds true that if you are not paying for the product then you are the product. I pay for the Flickr Pro account. Flickr's comment tool gives me all the social networking that I can realistically sustain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I upload all public / volatile / short term usage pictures on my free picasa account.

WARNING it becomes a bit NERDY
    BEGIN
    private pictures (like photos from my family) that a small circle can consult is synced from my phone or manually uploaded from my SLR to a NAS at home and served by my old android phone with a broken screen using kws android web server. SSL + basic authentication (htaccess like) is mandatory for security reason. The small cpu of this phone can handle the very low traffic very well.
    END

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    One thing to point out with Flickr is that you only have your most recent 200 photos displayed if you dont have a pro account. Pro accounts run $25 a year.
    "If you get something for free on the Internet you are the product, not the customer".

I gladly pay the $25 to host my bike and family pics. I also like seeing what other builders are up to. It's like Friday night lights every day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

luis prado alonso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a dinosaur but..............

...........and a good scanner if the darkroom doesn't suit your way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though they backtracked, I think whatever damage would be done by the change has been done (as in, a lot of people that would have switched got to thinking about it). They may as well have just stuck with it. I take sick pleasure out of watching start-ups try to monetize. Heading for another internet bubble burst? Facebook?

Is there actually a jersey-pocketable film camera in existence? (I mean, I know some exist, but are they spy gadgets or something I could buy/find on ebay and use?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    Exactly right. If you're willing to pay for a PRO account, this isn't a problem. It seems like many that use Flickr as their primary picture sharing method go this route. I've thought about saving the $25 and going to Picasa, but I never have bit the bullet.
    this is absolutely not true, if you link to one of the templated sizes (1024 longest edge or less -- in most cases it'd be 800x600) then the image will remain even after it disappears from your photostream. Flickr was at one point dying, but if you ask me, Marissa Mayer has breathed new life into that aspect of Yahoo...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its not spam if you don't address it to anyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    Is there actually a jersey-pocketable film camera in existence? (I mean, I know some exist, but are they spy gadgets or something I could buy/find on ebay and use?)
    Olympus XA on the cheap, Ricoh GR series for mo money.

Quote Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
    this is absolutely not true, if you link to one of the templated sizes (1024 longest edge or less -- in most cases it'd be 800x600) then the image will remain even after it disappears from your photostream. Flickr was at one point dying, but if you ask me, Marissa Mayer has breathed new life into that aspect of Yahoo...
    Didn't realize this. I'm assuming that you have to make the link before it disappears from your photostream right?

Quote Originally Posted by Human Epic Jolt View Post
    its not spam if you don't address it to anyone.
    Do you ever make any sense?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast