Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cots

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cots

I'm going to be spending so extended periods of time on a cot in the coming months. Any suggestions?

I'm 6'2"/220.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cots

I'd say a good thermarest and sleep directly on the ground is gonna be more back-friendly than a cot for extended periods of time.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    I'd say a good thermarest and sleep directly on the ground is gonna be more back-friendly than a cot for extended periods of time.
    I may try that at first....we'll see how it goes. I'm not enthralled with the idea of sleeping on the ground again, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Back in the futon years, I slept on a futon mattress on the ground for years. I slept great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you considered an elevated inflatable bed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never slept in a comfortable cot. I'm the guy who takes the couch cushions and lays them on the floor. Though being over 6.5' probably means anything less than a Queen isn't gonna be comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A close builder friend of mine died of cancer recently making sure beforehand that I packed off as much of his stuff as I could. The entire time we loaded trailer after trailer he was chuckling about how happy he was that it wasn't him that had to find a home for all the garbage .

Well, there was a few gems in the pile, one of them was a cot from probabally the late 60's i'm guessing. It was built at a time when there was not much garbage on the market and it is a real bed. I've camped on it a couple of times now and it's wide enough that you don't just fall to the middle and stay trapped by the rails. It folds only in half but stores easily in a closet with an open size of probabally 30"x84". It is built out of aluminum tube and canvas.

I'm done camping for the year and currently on pretty good standing with my wife so I shouldn't need it for some tiime. You are more than welcome to borrow it for as long as you need it.

I can bring it to Barton if you'd like to check it out. LMK

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I slept for about a year on the military style aluminum cot. They're comfortable. About $50 online. They're big and kind of heavy, but will last forever. Throw on a sleeping pad and it's almost like home.

Inflatable mattress = max suckage. At least everyone I've ever slept in has, I feel "stuck", like an old mattress where you always end up in the worn out middle part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lavi View Post
    I'm going to be spending so extended periods of time on a cot in the coming months. Any suggestions?

I'm 6'2"/220.
    Have you considered buying flowers and saying "I'm sorry?"
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Have you considered buying flowers and saying "I'm sorry?"
    Yeah, but it's not that. I'm looking to move the family to a new place and I'm going on some extended missions to attempt to get things set up. I'm cheap and don't want to piss money away on renting some dump in the interim.
    Last edited by lavi; 11-02-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bellman View Post
    A close builder friend of mine died of cancer recently making sure beforehand that I packed off as much of his stuff as I could. The entire time we loaded trailer after trailer he was chuckling about how happy he was that it wasn't him that had to find a home for all the garbage .

Well, there was a few gems in the pile, one of them was a cot from probabally the late 60's i'm guessing. It was built at a time when there was not much garbage on the market and it is a real bed. I've camped on it a couple of times now and it's wide enough that you don't just fall to the middle and stay trapped by the rails. It folds only in half but stores easily in a closet with an open size of probabally 30"x84". It is built out of aluminum tube and canvas.

I'm done camping for the year and currently on pretty good standing with my wife so I shouldn't need it for some tiime. You are more than welcome to borrow it for as long as you need it.

I can bring it to Barton if you'd like to check it out. LMK
    THanks for the offer. I may take you up on that...

I know for sure that I couldn't handle an air matress. I rather sleep on a park bench...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just pop for this and be done with it. You will be good to go with the nicest van down by the river. Where are you moving?

1964 Airstream Bambi II For Sale | Vintage Airstream Classifieds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Just pop for this and be done with it. You will be good to go with the nicest van down by the river. Where are you moving?

1964 Airstream Bambi II For Sale | Vintage Airstream Classifieds
    Nice, but I rather have a Tumbleweed house.

Trying to move the fam to Bend. Gotta get my biz set up there though. I'm going to be sleeping in closet (thankfully large) at my exectutive suite while I'm there. Gonna be BORING.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boring? There is good beer, skiing @ Mt. Bachelor and sub-optimal lodging - that sounds like a recipe for being a skibum. I hope this works out - wife & I have discussed buying a lot there for setting up a retirement place or similar - long term. It would be good to know someone who has some local knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boring? There is good beer, skiing @ Mt. Bachelor and sub-optimal lodging - that sounds like a recipe for being a skibum. I hope this works out - wife & I have discussed buying a lot there for setting up a retirement place or similar - long term. It would be good to know someone who has some local knowledge.
    Yeah, but if I were bumming at the mountain, I woudn't be working which means my main goals 1) earning money and, 2) getting my family over there too.

I'll probably do some night time carousing/riding/cx skiing. OR maybe I'll just turn into a workaholic and get it done quickly. I've never been a workaholic to that be a challenge. I hear it's not near as fan as being an alcoholic.

Bend is possibly one of the best places on Earth. The mtn biking is great, the road riding is great (although I really like where I live/ride now, minus the rain), the mountain is there for all the snow based fun. Great beers. It's like Boulder, only better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ski first thing - couple hours then go to work - plenty of time to work during non-daylight hours. It is really easy to shatter yourself trying to ski too many hours too many days in a row. Just go when it is good. Snow town local style.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ski first thing - couple hours then go to work - plenty of time to work during non-daylight hours. It is really easy to shatter yourself trying to ski too many hours too many days in a row. Just go when it is good. Snow town local style.
    I hear ya. However, I burnt myself out on riding (I snowboard, but can ski too) years ago. Now, I'm a complete snow snob and not overly interested in riding alone either. I guess I'm lucky that I've got dozens of blue bird powder days under my belt to the point that I don't really go much anymore. That, and the $60 lift ticket.

Snomobiling....now that's a different thing. That's where you'll find me. Endless untracked powder fields with zero lift lines. All the fat guys are too busy highmarking to care about the boondogging in the trees. Either that, or they don't possess the actual skill to ride a sled on terreign other than trails and pinning the throttle to go up some hill for no good reason. Waste of gas if you ask me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because triggering avalanches is cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the latest aerobed with a pillow top. seriously comfortable. seriously.

that is, until you accidentally nip it with a sawzall blade and it deflates.

then, not so comfortable.

i speak from experience.

moral of story: don't have a sawzall anywhere in vicinity of inflatable anything, no matter how careful you think you are.

THanks for the offer. I may take you up on that...

I know for sure that I couldn't handle an air matress. I rather sleep on a park bench...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 6'2"/220.
    Planning a new bike purchase? A real japanse roll-up futon is a real treat (though find a non-japanese lenght!) I recommend this inflatable mattress from REI, many guests have use ours, I find it very comfortable and it's easy to store and inflate

AeroBed EcoLite Elevated Airbed - Free Shipping at REI.com